HMS Fife by Kevin - Fleetscale - 1/72 - now sold

Kevin Aris

thank you for the comments

leaving the scratch side of things for a while, i want to try and sort the main deck out, and find my self in the chicken or the egg dilemma i dont want to spent anything on the hull at this time like running gear, but want to get the superstructure attached but once that is done i cannot access the hull so well to put in shafts rudders motor and battery packs 

so this evening i have started to join the big 3 main deck panels together with epoxy, with the intention of having the build with one very large deck removable, then place a sheet of plasticard over the top so when the deck is placed onto the hull the lip will cover the the edge of the hull

no doubt by tomorrow morning i will have changed my mind

taken a few months agp

[bvEip78]

• Like 2

possibly my last update until next weekend,

today i sat the main deck into the hull properly, and put a sheet of pasticard over the top, this also cover the hull edge, and now allows me to remove the whole deck off in one go
so a few photo's of how she looks at present
the Exocet, dont look right. they are not staggered on the plans, 
[9nvB2OV]
[Z67mSH5]
[3JZ13aF]
[SLJg83A]
[Z3eGpAq]
[pUHosyp]

[NYJa9UK]
[gNTuSNF]

• Like 7

Good afternoon from a snowy Bridgwater in Somerset 

I wanted to do some work on the 1/4 deck this weekend, but the only way ahead was to decide how to do the non slip pattern on deck, the plans differed from photos,  and the same ship pre and post refits showed changes, so I went a did my own thing

this is a museum exhibit and totally different to the palns
[aAanCRX]
[GYZpOPi]

[Y9wOv1a]

the area was marked to the shape i wanted the pattern to follow

[NCVOpSK]
[re43Ysk]
[M2YR2N9]

350 strips later
[ajbkGAl]
and a rattle can grey primer to show what touching up is needed, 
[UVxHxdB]
im quite pleased how it turned out
[HMxCeMn]

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Unfortunately I have very few photo's of when I was on the Fife but perhaps there are some details here that might help.

IMG_5915

thank you Roger, i wonder if that hinged apparatus next to the ladder is a working platform for the Seaslug might be to far away though

Edited by Kevin Aris

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Astonishing progress Kevin - I envy you your work rate.

It's leaped everytime I come back - and quality work

Rob

Rob i have a very understanding wife, but i still only do anything at the weekends an holidays, 

good god its its time for another update

the bridge

the last big module and i messed up

the lower middle windows dont need to be there, but being a fool i put them in as they are on the plans, it appears they were moved at the time the B turret was replaced by the Exocet missile system, as a result the two outer ones were bang on top of the supports forming the shape and there is a notch missing where the knife slipped, oh hum
[b8EwnDF]
[L6O85Po]
[hTxJIJf]
[5Q68hot]
[D0ZbXZL]
[jhGoWEz]

the blast deflectors will cover the two lower windows

[F0VUlxy]

so i added two more
[zjPMhhd]
[UPXRdJt]

• Like 7

bit of a surprise this weekend, my DIY was completed in two of my four days off, im not going to bore you with that, 

so that meant some boat building

Exocet Missile System

the bits that i bought were not the fit for use, or the wrong shape do they were modified
instead of being stepped the modules were in pairs, so two banks were joined together
and then added to a deck plate,

[dNpSovv]
[tv4j7Fb]
i scratched two blast deflectors with 0.5mm plasticard
[xWFD5cQ]
and added them with the aid of some hidden supports to keep them in place at the end of the missile pods
[zsuG32w]
[AHZjGxW]
some extra detailing and a whip aerial 
[Fdvg7yW]

[GRsRQ9x]
[7hRIqRU]

[ZtfVsHE]
[JsCVwoU]

• Like 7

Hi Kevin!

Just catching up with Everybody's builds, Your flying along on this! :clap:

Keep Sticking! Cheers, Pete

PS.    Every time I read the title I fancy a banana..................................................

Edited by morty_3333
Typo
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Good evening everyone

the forward bulkhead was completed  as was template for the wooden decking around the 4.5 gun

y16ckeH.jpg

the following photos have been shown to prove it has not all been plain sailing, this has taken me a few weekends, and last sunday it was all removed

the reason why was because the white template  showing the area the should not be covered in anti slip tread pattern, quess what just after this photo was taken, the dog ate it and i forgot to replace it,

xF3JFeA.jpg

4pacmP6.jpg

o2OsSBG.jpg

so the deck was stripped back to the mdf and a new one put on yesterday, the hawse holse are now better placed, and the evergreen for the new anti slip has arrived

wcDNKHh.jpg

Edited 5 minutes ago by Kevin

• Like 3