HMS Fife by Kevin - Fleetscale - 1/72 - now sold

Kevin Aris

Good evening everyone, its Sunday so must be time for an update

still working on the after superstructure, so carried on making AC units, and adding doors, most of the vents around the hanger doors are now in place
[5yFd33S]
on top of the hanger is a capstan/winch, i have very limited plans for this and not yet found a photo, for any pipework
[vvmxJB4]
some plasticard and a few bits found in my spares box, and i came up with this
[5WG3Vu7]
[C8aAa2g]
[h6hUj6j]
next is the Sealslug RAS RIG which was only fitted to Fife, that fits onto the tower , early in the making of this project,
[oGMP5ks]
[18uM2QQ]

[F8kpdp9]

[7V0p1rW]
[pEyNQ1I]

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Nice work Kevin.

I remember that winch being used for Heavy Jackstay transfers. 

Just wish it looked right, cannot find photo anywhere, and i presume it is hydraulic

4 hours ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

Just wish it looked right, cannot find photo anywhere, and i presume it is hydraulic

I'm sure it was hydraulic Kevin. All the best dressed RAS winches have a grey pvc cover if it's bothering you that much. :winkgrin:

42 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

I'm sure it was hydraulic Kevin. All the best dressed RAS winches have a grey pvc cover if it's bothering you that much. :winkgrin:

Roger any idea what this locker is, just in front of the funnel  , although not Fife they all had one, (was it a locker of some sort) some paperwork i found said ECD

IkEKx5w.jpg

4 minutes ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

Roger any idea what this locker is, just in front of the funnel  , although not Fife they all had one, (was it a locker of some sort) some paperwork i found said ECD

IkEKx5w.jpg

Not off the top of my head, no. I'll get my thinking cap on. 

3 minutes ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

Bit big for that plus there is one on the signal deck lol other suggestions are gratefully  accepted 

I thought the same but I have a hunch that the ECD is Emergency Conning Deck which would be used if the bridge and signal deck were taken out. The signal deck being the secondary conning position after the bridge.

My assumption, and that's all it is, is partly based on the cutaway diagram of Blake/Tiger here, http://www.navalanalyses.com/2016/08/warships-of-past-tiger-class-cruisers.html

Have a look at fig.5.

6 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

I thought the same but I have a hunch that the ECD is Emergency Conning Deck which would be used if the bridge and signal deck were taken out. The signal deck being the secondary conning position after the bridge.

My assumption, and that's all it is, is partly based on the cutaway diagram of Blake/Tiger here, http://www.navalanalyses.com/2016/08/warships-of-past-tiger-class-cruisers.html

Have a look at fig.5.

Brilliant, im going with that,thank you so much, if i hear otherwise i will get back to you

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

Don't mention it Kevin.

I'm still looking for further confirmation. 

Roger i put a comment out in a couple of sites on FB, apart from a lot of silly answers, it appears to be the Emergency comms position, thankyou

5 minutes ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

Roger i put a comment out in a couple of sites on FB, apart from a lot of silly answers, it appears to be the Emergency comms position, thankyou

Fantastic! Glad we got that sussed. 

My earlier comment about pvc covers reminded me of putting the covers on the 3 inch rocket launchers in a gale of wind and nearly going parachuting. Love what you're doing with this and the memories it's bringing back.

44 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Fantastic! Glad we got that sussed. 

My earlier comment about pvc covers reminded me of putting the covers on the 3 inch rocket launchers in a gale of wind and nearly going parachuting. Love what you're doing with this and the memories it's bringing back.

well if you have any comments about anything, or have any photos wrt to the build, i will ensure that i will try to achieve it, i have a weeks holiday, so hope to do some progress this week between DIY chores

• Like 1

good evening everyone

The tower at the after end Stbd side of the hanger was a Seaslug missile RAS (Replenishment at sea) Rig, and Fife was the only one to have it fitted, but was removed after i left her in 1980

[TWscsco]
although not brilliant as the plans seam to be quite different to the photo i have made something that for now will do, 
[JxSySQz]
[6ipm56V]
it has already been modified several time tonight
the brass bits have come my odds and sods box this is a porthole glued to a capstan

i was working to this

[Lr941qp]
[18uM2QQ]
[FaQXx3P]
[rnqu6pG]
[Qol7GoD]
[wbX28Ca]

• Like 6

Good evening
was not happy with the rig so re did it again to make it look more like the plans, Blue Peter never had this problem with Tracey Island
 [V49UKAW]
[gq1Karz]
[UL0kmkv]
[Lr941qp]

the rig will have to stay like that for now, until i can get some decent photos of it, so it might drastically change in the future

Towed Array Winch
fitted on the 1/4 deck offset to the stbd side i think
[MT2HihY]
[tRMMBxc]
i made a smaal control box out of 0.5 plasticard
a few brass pipe inserts and a couple of amerigo vespucci Porthole
[6OjeGxY]
[J9F36yC]
[FByt6I8]

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, morty_3333 said:

Hi Kevin!

Inspirational work going on here, love the scratchbuilding You are undertaking!

Keep Sticking! Cheers,  Pete

Thank you Pete

Edited by Kevin Aris