HMS Fife by Kevin - Fleetscale - 1/72 - now sold

Kevin Aris

1 hour ago, morty_3333 said:

Hi Kevin!

Sorry to be late on parade, only just found Your build,and stunning work!

I've had My eye on Fleetscale kits for many years (I dabble in R/C as well),and was always going to do Their Hood,but wanted to do a fine detailed model,which does not lend itself to the rigours of handling for sailing, hence My current project :-

I like the Seaslug launcher, 3D stuff is'nt cheap but certainly does the job, now that Printers have come down in price I was thinking of getting one, it's just learning the CAD that puts Me off a bit!

It must be great to build a model of a ship that You actually served on,the only downside being that the most critical person looking at it will be Yourself!:winkgrin:

If I was building a model of a vehicle from My working career it would be a Fork-lift truck! :crying:

Great work, and....Keep Sticking!    Cheers,  Pete

Nice to see you follow my build, 

9 minutes ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

Roger in post 91 it shows the  4.5 but was just put there for me to see the full built in  perspective lol i dont want to keep jumping from one end to the other, im old and get confused as to where i am

Oh yes so it is! :D

I'm on a ship at the moment and sometimes it takes awhile for photos to download, I must have missed that one..... either that or I'm getting old. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Or I might have just confirmed the rumour Royal Navy gunners were a bit thick. :D

Lol, i am not being dragged into that conversation, and I was a Jack Dusty

Edited by Kevin Aris
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

Hi Kevin!

Sorry to be late on parade, only just found Your build,and stunning work!

I've had My eye on Fleetscale kits for many years (I dabble in R/C as well),and was always going to do Their Hood,but wanted to do a fine detailed model,which does not lend itself to the rigours of handling for sailing, hence My current project :-

I like the Seaslug launcher, 3D stuff is'nt cheap but certainly does the job, now that Printers have come down in price I was thinking of getting one, it's just learning the CAD that puts Me off a bit!

It must be great to build a model of a ship that You actually served on,the only downside being that the most critical person looking at it will be Yourself!:winkgrin:

If I was building a model of a vehicle from My working career it would be a Fork-lift truck! :crying:

Great work, and....Keep Sticking!    Cheers,  Pete

sorry i could not realy answer your question earlier as I was at work

yes the  fleetscale hood in 1/128 would have given you about 6.75 feet of bath tub to play with, i went with them just because of the things i wanted to do, without the wanting to put her on water, hence, i have not looked at the running gear yet, 

another company I looked at at Sirmarfittings http://www.sirmarfittings.com/index.html  , but they only did 1/96, and i could not find a HAS3 Wessex to go with that scale

the 3d printed stuff is not cheap, and some of the 1/72 fittings i have purchased are cheap but  not made very well, and lol as i am a virgin to working on the dark side i have already made a lot of mistakes,

i dont want a 3d printer,

the upper deck stanchions have arrived i did order 250 and still not sure if there is enough, but yesterday realised they are not the type that fit around the flight deck,

plans are from Jecobin, and to be perfectly honest, they could be better, in most cases phots from the CCD site make them redunant  http://countyclassdestroyers.co.uk/Fife.htm

a vehicle from my working career, would have to be a submarine, but after 26 years in them, i cannot think of anything i would sooner not build lol

all the best Kevin

Edited by Kevin Aris
  • Like 1

Hi Kevin!

Had a look at countyclassdestroyers, what a great source of info!

The reason I'm looking at a 3D printer is mainly because in view of future scratchbuild projects (not just maritime), I was looking at setting up a small machine shop at home, but if I can utilise a printer  I can get away with a smaller lathe and no milling machine,so I can keep all My workshop indoors.

My Father and Father-in-Law were both in the service, My Dad was on the first crew of HMS Rame Head, They collected Her from the builders in Vancouver and sailed Her back across the Pacific, Far and Middle East and back to the UK in 1945-6.

My Father -in-Law was in the Navy from 1936 to 1952, and served on many ships, including Rodney, Vangaurd, Protector and Implacable.

I Think a Between-War Rodney (1938-39) may be on the future list..............

I've not had a good look around for 1/72 fittings , I would imagine they are quite thin on the ground, not being a 'usual' ship scale, Fleetscale Themselves are about the best selection.

Will look forward to Your progress on 'Fife' Kevin!

Keep Sticking!        Cheers,   Pete

• Like 1

Hi Kevin, watching with close interest ! I've been showing the progress to my Dad, he served on the Fife 1974-1977, LREM Ops Room Maintainer. He did the Spithead Review, and then flew out from a French Naval Air Station ready to join the RAN........

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JJ2016 said:

Hi Kevin, watching with close interest ! I've been showing the progress to my Dad, he served on the Fife 1974-1977, LREM Ops Room Maintainer. He did the Spithead Review, and then flew out from a French Naval Air Station ready to join the RAN........

Nice to have you following, i was  a Jacky Dusty on there, 

progress has gone backwards this weekend, i have spent hours cleaning down the after superstructure, ready for a primer coat, which went on very well, BUT highlighted the fact that i have misread the plans and need to do some remedial work, will post pictures later 

Good evening everyone, are you sitting comfortably? i want to tell you a story......

once upon a time, well the last couple of days

made a full top for the after smoke stack

[W5mfNF8]
[59FSkJ2]
[f04nmJi]
been sanding and cleaning joints for quite a while now and decided to give the superstructure a base coat, to see what needs to have more attention paid to it
[wsL7N9t]

the other reason for this is that there are now bits that need to be added, like platforms etc and so i knew everywhere pior to that point  will have had a least one coat of primer

the hanger roof needed to have to extension added, simple enough
[6932JWh]
but they never reached the sides as if they were to small, infact what this did was bring to light a mistake of my making when I made the superstructure out of MDF

this is when I should have spotted the error

[JZln3Wh]

this what i ended up with, although i never took a photo at the time i have cut a section out to the correct size
[wcJtyiA]
this is where the error occured, this plaform is in the correct position, but i had to cut some of it off to sit flush and the correct width from the superstructure
[EVKrBbG]

where the arrows are is where the mistake was made, the dotted lines are below the platform (and not ignored by me),  this is the amount of hull i had to cut out and the amount off platform that had to be removed
[FOt4vmW]

this is the only photo i can find to show you what i mean (just above the red vent) it is flush with the hanger roof extention
[RnscNDT]

this is the state of play until this friday
[JJPSyQw]

• Like 1

Good evening everyone

I have an update
it took a bit longer than anticipated, but im happy with it so far
we left her in a bit of a sad state last weekend, when I realised that i had not read the plans properly, and as a result never took the superstructure in at the right place
[JJPSyQw]

new infills panels
[FB9RdLR]
[QVURQiq]

and new templates for the platforms made
[JbWFu5A]
the hanger roof is still removeable
[OoTr5W3]
[UJxHsLK]
another primer coat to find bits thet require more work, LOL (lots of that)
[UJxHsLK]
[sUcolM3]

[5PPdPGq]

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

I remember sheltering in the left hand of those two watertight doors as lifebuoy ghost, it was the avcat fuel space if my memory serves me correctly.

8 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

I remember sheltering in the left hand of those two watertight doors as lifebuoy ghost, it was the avcat fuel space if my memory serves me correctly.

i will take a note of that Roger, Thank you, i will looks at the plans in the morning at get back to you

• Like 2

On 12/02/2018 at 21:55, Rob 1 said:

This ambitious build is coming along remarkably well, quite a pleasure to watch the good progress.

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

This is looking awesome Kevin. Keep going mate! 👍

Thank you, have managed a few hours on the build during the week, which i dont normally do, have made a mock up of the hanger doors, in the open position, and sorting out the hanger lighting, photos to be posted

I have also sourced the vent grills that fit on the curved bit of the superstructure there are 12 each side, so i never made any attempt to made them 

NOT MY PHOTO's

CsPUP0E.jpg

g3U3hBG.jpg

• Like 5

Good evening everyone

what have i done this weekend

Well i taught myself how to solder, (very badly though), but i am sure i can get better

i wanted to sort the lighting out in the hanger

so i used two brass strips as the connections and proceeded to attach the positive and negitives to seperate sides but with that came a load of failures, did some damage to parts i wasn't working on but nothing is lost and can be replaced, 3mm Leds for the white lighting and led strips for the red, both have there own power source and are both remote control 

YuLXB6R.jpg

this was a failure as i had to much wire  and to many were crossing each other, so as a result the hanger roof didnt fit

1LLPYTJ.jpg

1gI8SS2.jpg

reverse side before a tidy up

8Fq82B5.jpg

1Bw46xD.jpg

S4YmRNC.jpg

red lighting not so in your face

wXz5xLk.jpg

Edited by Kevin Aris
  • Like 7

Good evening everyone, and another little update, and another apology for not catching up on others work, 
still continuing on the after superstructure

all doors in place at deck level
hanger door in folded position are made but not yet secured
vents in the process of being scratched
the smaller ones around the hanger door pillar, were bought from Modelling timbers, and 4 of the 12 are fitted

hanger doors, i made the required then put spacers inbetween to give the desired look, not 100% sure how i will fit then yet
[mp3mRi8]
[R7NCgjj]
[fxiPMuk]

I need to make quite a lot of vents, im fine with the big ones, and practice is making me better at it
[0sM9nxQ]
[KtGvnaQ]
[IBWgmXG]
[pZsnV0j]
[G7yxqJq]
[1icjSil]
the lower one will not be seen very much, so of the three i made today, this one was not 100% to my liking and will go there for now

[MNQWExK]
[x4BpVkS]
[aLQ8Zai]
tonight she looks quite a lot like this

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1