HMS Fife by Kevin - Fleetscale - 1/72 - now sold

Kevin Aris

On 15/11/2017 at 07:47, Bigdave22014 said:

Oooh. that's gonna be a challenge....

challenge yes, enjoyable yes, time consuming yes,  I have managed today to obtain a seaslug launcher, as i thought it would be highly unlikely to be able to build one

• Like 1

I built a Seaslug launcher at 1:192 scale many years ago on my first RC model of HMS Kent. I used Evergreen rod. Despite how it looks it is a surprisingly simple structure. 

I love the model by the way larger scale models are always a challenge when it comes to detail. 

1 hour ago, Paul E said:

I built a Seaslug launcher at 1:192 scale many years ago on my first RC model of HMS Kent. I used Evergreen rod. Despite how it looks it is a surprisingly simple structure. 

I love the model by the way larger scale models are always a challenge when it comes to detail. 

Good afternoon Paul, with all good intention i wanted to do the same, but with the director gear, i would have had two projects that would have taxed me out, i have sourced a launcher now and avoiding Shapeways i have a possible way ahead with the other bit and hopefully a lot less than $175 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/X4EP8FTSN/901-sea-slug-director-and-mba-1-72?optionId=57762939&li=marketplace

Just found this as I looked for 72nd scale projects.  Love what you have done so far.

Seen a few 72nd scale Carriers in museums and would love to do one but don't have the skills or the space.

If I can get some decent plans I wouldn't mind trying the USS Monitor from our Civil war.  That looks like something I just might be able to handle.

Will follow along and enjoy learning a few new skills along the way.

48 minutes ago, philp said:

Just found this as I looked for 72nd scale projects.  Love what you have done so far.

Seen a few 72nd scale Carriers in museums and would love to do one but don't have the skills or the space.

If I can get some decent plans I wouldn't mind trying the USS Monitor from our Civil war.  That looks like something I just might be able to handle.

Will follow along and enjoy learning a few new skills along the way.

LOL a carrier would certainly take a lot more space

i am using the 1/72 hull from Fleetscale http://www.fleetscale.com/store/gb/153-all-hulls they do a nice selection of hulls in different sizes, with about 3 weeks for delivery, they also have a forum site, that is not the most active, and like others it is filled with Photobucket images that are not able to be seen unless you can find the get around code

thw other site i considered was Sirmarfittings who does a lot of 1/96 and even has a British carrier for sale http://www.sirmarfittings.com/for sale.html

plans i am using are from Jecobin http://www.jecobinplans.com/estore/index.php?

good evening

sounds silly but i didn't think I had achieved much over the weekend, but I put the forecastle in sorted out how the forward superstructe  is going to fit more work on the funnel, finished the positioning of the portholes and doors in the forward section and some practising on the lighting

the two holes are lined with  pen tops

9vHLUxv.jpg

the smaller hole towards the base with have a light fitted

bulkhead lights - from fleetscale - i sanded the middle out 

34fogty.jpg

zUW4oSl.jpg

E2wSVGY.jpg

HCW2qqS.jpg

one forcastle

with the rough shape of the forward bulkhead to go in

FXStkt6.jpg

• Like 4

it is fragile if handled to wrong way , but will be well looked after, looking forward to seeing if i need to adapt my hull to fit it so that it looks right, hope to post some photos this weekend, i alsio need to look into motors to get the unit to turn and raise/lower

• Like 1

This build gave me the nudge to build my 1/600. Superb work.Are there any doors between the two superstructure,in the midship gap.l have plenty of photos,but nothing showing this area.  

28 minutes ago, Chewitt said:

This build gave me the nudge to build my 1/600. Superb work.Are there any doors between the two superstructure,in the midship gap.l have plenty of photos,but nothing showing this area.  

countyclassdestroyers.co.uk

yes at least one but it seams to differ between vessels

7JhuvbT.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewitt said:

On HMS Antrim there was definitely a door at the rear of the forward superstructure beneath where the paired liferafts are in Kevin's drawing above. It is the reverse of the one shown on the drawing with the door hinged on it's port side. Going through that door and down a ladder took you to the canteen flat where you had the Naval Stores, Routine and Ship's Offices and (believe it or not) the NAAFI Canteen.

I am sure all Batch IIs had a door here bearing in mind it was the only location where you could get down to 1 Deck from 01 Deck from the cross passage. I can make out a door in the same position on a pictures of HMS Glamorgan and HMS Norfolk (in picture to the left of gangway) but have been unable to find clear enough photos HMS Fife to confirm hers but I doubt she would have been different.

I don't recall any doors on the forward-facing bulkhead of the rear superstructure but my memory is a bit hazy having come off HMS Antrim in 1981! However, I'm sure that there were ladders each side to get up to 02 Deck.

BTW, during the time I was onboard HMS Antrim she had a walkway on the port side that went across from the aft superstructure to the forward superstructure at 02 Deck level. I don't remember it being onboard when I joined in 1978 but we certainly had it by the time we left refit in 1979, the same time as she was fitted to receive SCOT terminals and SCOT cabin.

Dave

• Like 1

well had a nice long weekend off so got on  with the build, not much to show for it but the plasticard skin has been put over the a lot of the mdf,

put the forward bulkhead in place, not finished yet

more playing with lighting, but not yet got a satisfactory result, this might be due to the light coming through the thin plasicard and the problem might go away after a priming coat of paint

more more on the signal deck, after the roof was made for the forward superstructure, today i made the forward mast but threw it away as it looked slightly squiffy

0OglkzM.jpg

jcFleQT.jpg

ARA5fPR.jpg

Iq2GXxt.jpg

• Like 8

Good evening everyone

coming to the end of the basic superstructure now, the hex shaped bridge still to be done, then look to see if any nits can be remade to look better,

today was the turn of the Forward mast, have attempted a week ago i then threw it in the bin followed by the words what a waste of two days work

like everything else on this build with no instructions what so ever i am very much aware of leaving space for things that i dont know i want so everything has been built allowing space for wiring tubes, motors etc

Forward mast

cut for identical mast sides from the plans and made them up in two halves allowing time to dry

sanded and the corners have been rounded off

the oval shaped structure was then modified to accept it and c/a into position

lLF7RcZ.jpg

4uzrBi4.jpg

Of1tYU6.jpg

Qp9yGvr.jpg

VCASm5U.jpg

i have now put a base plate in which i think will be planked, this will cover any wiring from the navigation lights

I1f2o8N.jpg

Edited by Kevin Aris
  • Like 6

loving the build. Yes I was one of those lucky Mids to have a hammock on the '86 trip (which included a return to Dominica) and as I recently pointed out to my juniors on Dauntless, we were the last in the RN to sleep in them (making me feel really old now!). FIFE had an embarked Lynx by my time, but was still in awe at how the wafu's fitted it in the hangar.

Didn't FIFE have a giant inflatable banana as it's RAS flag? 

4 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

loving the build. Yes I was one of those lucky Mids to have a hammock on the '86 trip (which included a return to Dominica) and as I recently pointed out to my juniors on Dauntless, we were the last in the RN to sleep in them (making me feel really old now!). FIFE had an embarked Lynx by my time, but was still in awe at how the wafu's fitted it in the hangar.

Didn't FIFE have a giant inflatable banana as it's RAS flag? 

dont quite remember what i was doing in 86, might have been on a 6 months trip to Falklands on Odin

i just wish i had taken photos of fife during my time on her , 

Im glad you are enjoying the build, I am