HMS Fife by Kevin - Fleetscale - 1/72 - now sold

Kevin Aris

Thank you for the comments,

this is a card version i build a couple of months ago, the lower part is the radar office  well i replaced all that yesterday so that i could gain access into it at a later date, for any potential lighting, motors or servos 

the Chimney like structure does not appear in many photo's bur was apparently on the Fife at the time I served on here, that is a RAS rig (replishment at sea)

I tend to do a lot of building at the weekends, then ponder what i have achieved during the week, then adapt, redo or accept the following weekend

eHO10OK.jpg

NOT MY PHOTO

HKHHPv0.jpg

NOT MY PHOTO

z8kJSb4.jpg

Edited by Kevin Aris
photo disclaimer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthemodeller said:

Sorry I'm a few days late but can I sit at the back with my popcorn? 

I think this this is going to turn into one of those epic builds we see on here from time to time...

Then i had not better fall short of your expectations, but please dont expect it to be completed this year

good evening everyone

first of all this is my mancave, I am also lucky to have another large shed, but here i can use wi-fi thats where all my speakers and sound systems are, there are just items that have been replaced form the house, this allows me to carry out my large scale builds, had I nor been doing the Fife i would have bought the 1/35 Dora, thats about the same sze

68oe0HX.jpg

1/200 Bismarck and 1/84 Amerigo Vespucci

imQz1lt.jpg

5ZfpM0S.jpg

yes i do have to share it with the wabbit, only one now but there was six

rW5kRfT.jpg

1,72 HMS Victory (caldercraft) at present in the conservatory 

LEboBT3.jpg

and my 1/70 card SD14 not the best photo in excess of 7 feet when the 3 sections are joined

9n1qMYx.jpg

• Like 3

not been well this weekend, but spent some time in the mancave, my signature speaks for itself and this weekend i revamped the radar director office, it still needs a bit of work, but hopefully i can now move forward to forward of the hanger

Do0XMBI.jpg

mNWCP8Y.jpg

dXI4KGM.jpg

SNZcIQY.jpg

35fmEfr.jpg

6AbBp3l.jpg

• Like 1

i have started to make an effort to get into the mancave during the week if only for an hour, decided that the superstructure fwd of the hanger wasnt good enough, so thats in the bin tonight, 

have kept the mast and the hanger is now as far as it will go for now

NbjwV4C.jpg

• Like 1

On 02/10/2017 at 22:31, BluesModeller said:

Seriously impressive, seriously huge!

Thank you, we all know that the larger scale allow for better detailing, but when i look at her on the workbench, i keep thinking, " have i spent all that time on her and only achieved that" lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beard said:

I stumbled accross your build (I don't usually frequent the maritime section) and, my word, this proper modelling (and on an epic scale). I'll follow, if that's okay.

Thankyou Beard, there are also lots of other fine work going on in the Maritime section

• Like 1

time to move on from the hanger, I have spent far to long on that area, this is just meant to be building up a usable superstructure for now

I have gone back to my original idea od usung 3MM mdf and then coating it with plasticard

NiL7gaF.jpg

TBud8Pq.jpg

using the plans for the centre line i then packed between the hanger and the outside walls, and then rounded them off 

JZln3Wh.jpg

00xIYHU.jpg

KQVc5HF.jpg

now i am in the process of covering it up, at the same time putting access covers as i have not worked out where everything is going

ucExziU.jpg

pAWsFfb.jpg

• Like 2

Having done most of the after Superstructure in a basic build mode, I have now turned my attention to the forward stuff

like aft in am going to use 3MM MDF with a plasticard covering, 

using a light box place lines onto plasticard

QfCUUOd.jpg

8OOkXxK.jpg

Bav9BEw.jpg

i never got the time to start the Bridge unit, but have a nice lone weekend off next week

but did get to do the block under the the fwd mast, "not sure what it is for, but will find out and let you know

iliTZmG.jpg

in the process of replacing this card version of the fwd mast

RhtQiaJ.jpg

J3I3dVe.jpg

looks a bit like this tonight

lb6vNpx.jpg

• Like 3

brilliant weekend i even had a visitor Britmodelers own Mike Costello, had a good few hours chat - Thank you Mike

Build - yep i made some progress in bridge area 

took three attempts to get it to look right, i believe i am nearly there now, getting the skin wrap round actually went easier that i thought, as it splits, the upper section around the bridge wings and the lower around the base

SHa1o8c.jpg

yFn4Tsw.jpg

mJ0YcpY.jpg

pifuXxU.jpg

M8IoIm1.jpg

starting to look like a County Class Destroyer now

hSJSIl7.jpgPlHyYPB.jpg

I have opened the back of the bridge, so that I can insert the Bridge contents module, if i can find some plans, needs to be tidied up as well

XDotCXt.jpg

• Like 4

Good evening

had an attempt at the fwd funnel top, and actually came out better than i thought, so for now it is going to stay there 4 x 3mm mdf glued together then shaped 

xJshR5S.jpg

3q93Xbs.jpg

VHnf3xR.jpg

to continue working in that area, next was the signal deck area which fits between the fwd mast and the funnel

boJDUVU.jpg

as you can see from the above photo there are far to many portholes, because i took the measurements from the incorrect ref point, even the doors were in the wrong place

the portholes were put in now because i was itching to know what a bit of lighting would look like in her

one red light in a passage way behind the fwd door

Kl3pySE.jpg

and warm white lighting

GtJnPUo.jpg

xxbkteC.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

away from lighting, i have a boat to build

paid some attention to the strern this weekend

ignore the launcher, i dont know how to go about that yet, although i presume i am going to have to bur one along with the director gear total about £300

but the bulkhead behind it, which i quess is part of the Seaslug Magazine

Not My photo

OqO4wsC.jpg

this is how she had started the weekend

K3pDyet.jpg

ii copied the after part of the slight deck and fixed to the quarterdeck slightly aft to the top piece to get the correct angle

9hpPN35.jpg

spacers to hold the height and give the skin something to stick to

boHShax.jpg

NmdFb2N.jpg

card being used to make a template

52qbgnV.jpg

and i now have the shape i required 

T8VSGef.jpg

the section cut our allows the launcher to move up and down, still to be tidied up of course

the sides will eventually become ladders, and you can see that they had to be put in at a different angle to that of the hull

jjvZsrQ.jpg

QeKphzy.jpg

NOT MY PHOTO

tdSl6bw.jpg

tdSl6bw.jpg

• Like 3