1/72 Hasegawa B-26B Marauder "Flak Bait"

On 29/09/2017 at 11:03, Roman Schilhart said:

Vaseline is transparent, so the only problem is, you don't really see what you're doing.

You can use a little of fine powder (dust) of dry pastel chalk (gray colour, for example),to "dye" the cream.

Your B-26 is absolutely fantastic.

Awesome build!

For reasons unknown (to me at least) the B-26's seemed to suffer more heavily than most, in the weathering/fading/staining/paint-chipping stakes.

Your build reflects that most truly.

You're inspiring me to get my Hasegawa B-26 kit out of the stash and get going on it!

:goodjob:

24 minutes ago, kapam said:

Awesome build!

For reasons unknown (to me at least) the B-26's seemed to suffer more heavily than most, in the weathering/fading/staining/paint-chipping stakes.

Your build reflects that most truly.

You're inspiring me to get my Hasegawa B-26 kit out of the stash and get going on it!

:goodjob:

IIRC, Martin Aircraft got permission to dispense with using zinc chromate primer on large areas of their aircraft, which might account for how heavily the finish weathered and how easily the paint was scuffed. I can't remember at the moment the source of the article, but I will try to find it.

Mike

I found an article describing the restoration of Flak Bait that makes mention of the fact that the fuselage was not primered, but the paint was applied to the bare metal, which would certainly account for the paint being easily chipped and scuffed. I have attached the link below.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/smithsonian-team-working-preserve-piece-wwii-history.html 

Edited by 72modeler