Neptune MR1

mike ingham

I am currently converting the Hasegawa/Frog/Revell Neptune to a long nose with MAD boom MR1 example, using the Blackbird Models offering. Two questions:

1. What colour were the cockpit, wheel wells and engine nacelle interiors?

2. I would like to model the Dark Sea Grey finish, but what colour/ size were the underwing serial numbers? The Wayne Mutza publication doesn't cover these questions.

• Like 2

Hi Mike, you have badly titled your thread as you have used your name rather than the subject matter.

You can retitle the thread by editing your first post.

If no one else come up with answers I do have the Scale Modelling magazine articles on the Neptune and how to do the RAF conversions.

I've also got the Freightdog MR.1 decals ( http://www.blackbirdmodels.co.uk/gods-of-fire--sea-72-1794-p.asp ) so could measure those, but it will be a while before I can access them.

This is a good RAF Neptune page, might help with the undercarriage finish,

http://www.verslo.is/baldur/p2/britain.htm

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mike ingham said:

I am currently converting the Hasegawa/Frog/Revell Neptune to a long nose with MAD boom MR1 example, using the Blackbird Models offering. Two questions:

1. What colour were the cockpit, wheel wells and engine nacelle interiors?

2. I would like to model the Dark Sea Grey finish, but what colour/ size were the underwing serial numbers? The Wayne Mutza publication doesn't cover these questions.

According to text in the Monogram Color Guide for  USN/USMC aircraft, the cockpits would have been interior green and the wheel bays chromate green; in 1955, cockpit color was changed to dark gull grey and in 1956 wheel bay color was changed to white. 

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
removed incorrect punctuation

Hi guys,

Thanks for your prompt replies to my questions, and thank you James for your computer tutorial - me being a learner "silver surfer"!

I have in stock the required interior colours, so once this Saturday's (local) IPMS Abingdon model show is done and dusted, the airbrush

will be in use. I will attempt at some stage to post some photos in WIP, but don't hold your breath!

Once again, many thanks,

Mike.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mike ingham said:

I will attempt at some stage to post some photos in WIP, but don't hold your breath!

Come on Mike, if I can manage it, you certainly can, I seriously doubt if there is a soul on the planet that is worse with computers than me!

Martian

30 minutes ago, sammy da fish said:

Sorry but i think your more advanced than good old mike in that respect. You will have to give a lot of tuition to help Mike along.

That's bad. Not to worry I'll sort him out next week when I get back from holiday.

Martian