Peas and Carrots Canso!

Paul J

No progress report to night... was out at a gig in Dorking. Went to see Dr.Hook. Dennis Locorriere stilll rocking!! 

Back on site tomorrow with update on how the Catalina nose job turns out and the painting.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

No progress report to night... was out at a gig in Dorking. Went to see Dr.Hook. Dennis Locorriere stilll rocking!! 

Back on site tomorrow with update on how the Catalina nose job turns out and the painting.

Dear Paul,

I like what you're doing with the 144 Catalina, and agree with others that your progress has been really good. The Catalina has always interested me... I'm glad I'm keeping track of this build now, even if I do have "When you're in love with a beautiful woman" in my head now.

Regards,

David

Not a lot done over the weekend. Got sidetracked but here is a pic of the 'reprofiled' reprofiled nose... if you get what I mean.

IMG_2869_zpsqxrhgkgc.jpg

And since the above pic, it has been reprimed and re painted back to glory. Just the planing underside to do and re fresh the green.  Once thats dry the undercart may get a look in plus a start with the decals. The wing stripes I need to find enough  white striping decals.

• Like 5

On 07/10/2017 at 02:40, Dazey said:

Dear Paul,

I like what you're doing with the 144 Catalina, and agree with others that your progress has been really good. The Catalina has always interested me... I'm glad I'm keeping track of this build now, even if I do have "When you're in love with a beautiful woman" in my head now.

Regards,

David

By the way Dazey, did you get to see Dr.Hook perform in Australia? He  toured down under earlier this year

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paul J said:

By the way Dazey, did you get to see Dr.Hook perform in Australia? He  toured down under earlier this year

Hello Paul, unfortunately we don't get to see many live acts these days. Was it a good show? I think Dr Hook had a pretty decent following in Australia back in the day...

Regards,

David

Again, not a lot done. After rectifying the nose contours, I fitted the main canopy an have made an attempt at the framing. I used some fine black decal striping to which will be overlayed with white and then painted orange .... if i can hold my hand steady enough that is... we shall see. Some pics:

IMG_2876_zpsjkukszl8.jpg

IMG_2877_zpsib9qcdb2.jpg

IMG_2878_zpsqhpcjzey.jpg

Don't look too close... at the moment its not looking terribly good. Losing faith with it. But I will complete it. I need to order up some wider white decal stripng for the wings and tail surfaces to depict those candy stripes!!

• Like 5

Cheers guys.  

What is it with Humbrol matt black 33???? :wonder: And its a new tin!! :unamused: No matter how much I stir it and paint it wherever, it takes an age to dry and when it does it remains gloss!! You can see this on my last pic of my build here on the nose for the anti dazzle panel.  I end up going over it again with an axcryli version to get the matt. :rage::huh:

I have never used decal strips. They look like a good alternative if you don't fancy the masking nightmare that is the Catalina. Jamie's right, don't be to hard on the old bird. Those bright, brash colours look great.  You can fix the glare panel later with Matt top coat. Are you going to weather her? She would look great with a Flory or pin wash. Looking forward to your next steps.

John.:cat:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul J said:

Cheers guys.  

What is it with Humbrol matt black 33???? :wonder: And its a new tin!! :unamused: No matter how much I stir it and paint it wherever, it takes an age to dry and when it does it remains gloss!! You can see this on my last pic of my build here on the nose for the anti dazzle panel.  I end up going over it again with an axcryli version to get the matt. :rage::huh:

Seems to tend towards gloss no matter how many different tins are used . Using Tamiya instead now 

Martin H

Just ordered some white decal stripes for this build. Re weathering,as asked by Spadgent, I will very likely keep it to a minimum ...especially this small scale otherwise it won't look right I feel. As for the matt black I'll see what my local hardware shop has. They stock some acrylics for about £3.50 a pot and have a nice range of colours including matt black. I'll be back on site again tomorrow night. Having a night off..... in case that mojo thing sticks its head out....

• Like 2

A little more progress. Canopy framing sorted and some decals on for main scheme.

016_zpsfljkvnll.jpg

White decal stripes ready for overpainting(somehow with hairless almost hairy stick)...

017_zpsc7rtrpq4.jpg

...and coming along.. eye strain permitting!

018_zpsflsaczhi.jpg

There!  Done.  It looks better in real life and with the naked eye than the photo reveals. Thats the thing with modern day tech and cameras. Tooooo revealing!!!!!!!!!!!!

039_zpsx0vzogww.jpg

And fresh from this evenings efforts(16/10/17) First part of main decalling started.  I am doing the fuselage first without wings as it is easier to place the delicate thin long stripes this way. And any others. Undercart will go on when ready.

040_zpsjf6f04yw.jpg

041_zpszxex9llw.jpg

Still got to paint the lower hull area light grey and then probably the white candy fin and tail plane striping.  Sometime this week....

• Like 6

Looking at the pics, I think a subtle coat of semi matt will hide the toy like gloss somewhat and make it look better, I'll do my best. But this evening hopefully I will make a start on the rear end striping...:worry:

• Like 2

Just one pic tonight. Some fin striping on. From 1/16th stripe decals cut to just over the length required and to widen them another laid one against the other with slight overlap to get the right width as near as poss. Long way o go with this I think while waiting for each one to dry in the right place..

IMG_2873_zpse8yiwsbg.jpg

• Like 5

Cheers.  For the wings I have some wider ones which on measuring up look about right for width so should pose no problem.... hopefully. Just measuring up to the right lengths and allowing for the wing shape /taper towards the tip.  Of course, some neat trimming is required around the edges with new blade and probably touch ups with paint.

• Like 2

A bit more progress..this time the tailplane and wing stripes.

IMG_2868_zpst6id53jt.jpg

underside  tail planes white stripes under construction...

IMG_2869_zpsj3ut9h1y.jpg

.. while the top sides are completed. All these were achieved with stripes double up alongside each other to give  me the 3.00mm widths of the stripes and the space in between them. Time consuming but worthwhile.

IMG_2870_zps3n734cq2.jpg

Fin emblem in place. The NWT province coat of Arms and a flower!   A flower?? ( The big emblem is a bit too big but its what is on the CanMilair decal sheet.

IMG_2871_zps2yyruo8t.jpg

IMG_2872_zpsrm7k0h67.jpg

Wing stripes in progress. These are 3.5mm wide with 3.5 gaps between. The decal set for these are from a Microscale/Superscale set. Fortunately the 3.5 stripe is just right but not enough supplied on the set  So measure had to be taken and I decided to cut down the width of a wider stripe to size. See later...

IMG_2873_zps0l5cjz5a.jpg

IMG_2874_zpssbydmgqq.jpg

This view is showing the wider 5.00mm stripe being cut down. A nice new sharp blade and steel rule ideal for this.

IMG_2875_zpsyxun9jsk.jpg

Wing underside work with striping in progress..

IMG_2877_zps9qnuzpzr.jpg

......and almost all done.

IMG_2876_zpsnr1wkx4g.jpg

A view of starboard side of tail area with decalling complet.  

Once all the stripey work is done I shall concentrate in getting the wheels and props sorted and fitted. And the wing!!

Se you later.

• Like 6

Wow! I really should have been following this build since the beginning. Sorry!

I was fortunate to get to see this Canso up close at the Edmonton Airshow, back in August. Here are a few pictures:

DSC_0560DSC_0561DSC_0564DSC_0567DSC_0571DSC_0581DSC_0577DSC_0661

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wow. Thanks for those pics. UnAWare there was one still in those colours. I know the CL-215 and 415 are painted the same way. Thepics will be a great help when it comes to the undercarriage. And, I need to replicate those rear entry hatches where the blisters were some how. I am thinking some fine black decal stripes and oblong sections to represent the different windows and those hatches.  

On 16/10/2017 at 22:12, Paul J said:

It looks better in real life and with the naked eye than the photo reveals. Thats the thing with modern day tech and cameras. Tooooo revealing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very true!

Having had the pleasure of seeing many of Paul's  builds in person,  on the not very flattering formica of Southwick community centres tables,  they always look immaculate!

Look forward  to seeing this one as well.

cheers

T