Revell (Matchbox) Hawker Fury Mk.I 1/72

Tomoshenko

Furyoso!

A colossally enjoyable catch-up over the morning oolong just now Tomo - completely engrossing in the attention to detail you've put into that! :thumbsup2:

I'll unpack me sandwiches and watch from a flooding chair if I may?

• Like 1

Absolutely superb stuff Tom, wonderful to see another Matchbox fettler at work, and I'm very envious of your results with such a tiny bit of construction!

If you're after a slightly easier suggestion for future rudder pedal heel boards, the ribbed black plastic on the top and bottom edges of multi-CD boxes works a treat!

Phil

• Like 1

Tomo brought this to t'club this afternoon and let me hold it

Blimey you forget how tiny it is, until you actually hold it in trembling mitts

Outstanding Tom, this is bound to be a winner baby

• Like 1

11 hours ago, perdu said:

Blimey you forget how tiny it is, until you actually hold it in trembling mitts

I've been back and had another look at the piccies of the painted cockpit unit.

I decided it's preternaturally neat and so felt disinclined to believe in the truth of its existence..............................but seeing as you've held it Bill I guess I must. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, Vulcanicity said:

Absolutely superb stuff Tom, wonderful to see another Matchbox fettler at work, and I'm very envious of your results with such a tiny bit of construction!

If you're after a slightly easier suggestion for future rudder pedal heel boards, the ribbed black plastic on the top and bottom edges of multi-CD boxes works a treat!

Phil

Thanks. I did see that technique on your splendid Stranraer build, and a good technique it is too.

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

I've been back and had another look at the piccies of the painted cockpit unit.

I decided it's preternaturally neat and so felt disinclined to believe in the truth of its existence..............................but seeing as you've held it Bill I guess I must. :)

Thanks Steve. Bill has touched it as you know, so I'm hoping for some of his Wasp magic to have impregnated the Fury DNA. That it would be nice to have on hand some Fritag Acme etch home brew.

Anyroad with the pit innards sorted I finally zipped up the fuselage. Nice fit, just a few blobs of gloop here and there. After curing I started tidying it up a little, but also made a start on cleaning up the wings.

IMG_2281.jpg

As I noted above, and others who have built this kit, the ribbing on the wings is outrageously overscale. To be expected on a kit this age, and fair dues in this game we expect to have to do some sanding. Unfortunately on other areas of the wing this is where the tooling shows its age:

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2278_(2).jpg

ot quite the look I’m after. First up I re-scribed the ailerons (well when I say re-scribed, I mean scribed as 40 odd years have taken its toll on this tooling), and began to add the hinges via gloop.

IMG_2279.jpg

Then it was a case of sand sand sand and more blinkin’ sand. I didn’t want to remove the ribs completely though. Also I scribed out some hinges, scribed the centre section of the upper wing which is separate and contains the fuel tanks, opened up the two handholds, drilled out all the rigging holes with a 0.2mm drill (yep I busted a few drills), and drilled location holes for the aerials – the original offering had two little blobs of plastic which were in the wrong place (fair play to Matchbox though for attempting to reproduce them, and I’m sure 40 years ago they’d have been in better nick).

IMG_2297.jpg

With that done I added the aileron cranks and actuators – they sit on a little disc which I punched out of take-away tin foil. This is approximately the look I’m after:

Fury_Wing.jpg

Here’s my offering. Should be able to blag it with a bit of primer and paint.

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

Here’s the underside centre section, an improvement on the original offering.

IMG_2302.jpg

And a before and after of the wings:

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

Next up is to get the bottom wing glued on, front cowling and cabane struts, finish off sanding the fuselage, repair the cabane struts that I will invariably bust off…

• Like 21