Revell (Matchbox) Hawker Fury Mk.I 1/72

Tomoshenko

He was explaining to folks at the club how he was going to rig the wires

Holes drilled

Struts prealigned

and stuff

eyes glazed over and brains went into null mode

And so did theirs  :)

Trust me on this folks, Tomo is the master of the infinitely dimensionally challenged

and T I N Y !

Tom, lead on McDuff

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

Having seen this little jewel, it looks even better in real life than on the screen. It's only then that you realise just how tiny it is.

Lovely work!

Dave

Edited by Fastcat
I just felt like it.
  • Like 2

What a stunner, as others have said this is a little jewel. I can't wait to see it at Telford and I will have a go at claiming my beer prize. In my experience the more coats of varnish applied the more muted polished metal finishes become, I think it looks spot on as is. And thanks for the mention of my magic shrinking machine, I should bring it to Telford - it would create a sensation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

If you do Nigel I may have a few little test pieces with which you can demonstrate your undoubted prowess

:)

Please Nigel don't shrink Bill, we like him the way he is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks gents. Very kind words. I'm glad you like it. For the record Nigel, I'm not putting any further coats of varnish on, as after experimenting on a few test pieces, as you say it just dulls it. It aint broke so I aint gonna fix it. 

Anyroad at last I was able to remove the last bit of masking and open up the pit at long last. I always find this a satisfying milestone in a build (providing nothing goes wrong of course), fortunately nothing did. Before I get the upper wing on, I need to the windscreen, gun sight bits and other stuff in place. First order was the exhausts which consisted of these:

IMG_2940.jpg

They kind of remind me of these things:

Imps.jpg

Back in the 70s, we used to put loads of them in our mouths at once, topped up with Top Deck shandy bass and space dust…

Enough of my hedonistic youth. I had to find a way of gluing them in place. I’m not a fan of cyano, as it tends to stick everywhere but where I want it, including my fingers, and it’s instant – I like a few minutes flexibility as I can never just pop things in place. So I invested in some of this stuff:

IMG_2960.jpg

It’s a little pricey, but it is quality, used by jewellers and fine art professionals. I like to think it adds a touch of class to solvent abuse :P Yep the down side is it is a little smelly and stringy, but dries clear, is strong, and gives you a good few minutes to move bits into place. So without any further ado I got the exhausts sorted:

IMG_2950.jpg

I have since removed the piece of fluff second from the left above.

IMG_2953.jpg

A little more realistic and moulded on kit originals.

Next up was to get the guns on, windscreen gunsights and pilot bead:

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

Apologies for the repetition, but I was quite pleased with how things went. Plus they’ll be partly hidden when I get the top wing on. All the bits and bobs went where they were supposed to go. It would have been a nightmare with cyano.

IMG_2969.jpg

I also found my wide angle macro attachment for my Iphone so was able to give a few close up wide angle pilot view type shots.

IMG_2980.jpg

Bit of pit detail in this one.

IMG_2983.jpg

Finally a firing line shot.

IMG_2974.jpg

I suspect you think I’m posting all this stuff because I’m trying to put off getting the top wing on and doing the rigging. Well your probably right ;)

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

Yes, stop messing about and get that top wing on - you're impressing nobody! :lol:

Seriously.

I've no language for work of that calibre.

That's just righteously off the scale Tomo.

64013553.jpg?w=620

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Back in the 70s, we used to put loads of them in our mouths at once, topped up with Top Deck shandy bass and space dust…

Enough of my hedonistic youth.

6 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

A little more realistic and moulded on kit originals.

Two of the biggest understatements that I've read here!

• Like 2

Just caught up with this and have been blown away. For example when I realised that those tiny pieces were lying on a 1p coin. And the foil work is a joy to behold. It's a great build diary, so thanks for the photos and if I'm able to follow the rigging process, I might just give my Tiger Moth a go...

Justin

• Like 1

I love this thread. Every time someone asks me, if I am not overdetailing my 1/72 kits, I can open it on a random page and say "I am certainly not, you see ...".

Magnificent.

Patrik

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Patrik said:

I love this thread. Every time someone asks me, if I am not overdetailing my 1/72 kits, I can open it on a random page and say "I am certainly not, you see ...".

Magnificent.

Patrik

You 'over detail' as much as you like Patrik, your model. I love what you're doing, so carry on good sir.

Stuart

• Like 1