Revell (Matchbox) Hawker Fury Mk.I 1/72

Tomoshenko

This is amazing stuff, and very inspiring as I've got an old Amodel Fury I'm considering stripping and rebuilding with Bare metal Foil. So it can  be done by an inspired modeller, maybe a chump like me has a chance!

Thanks once again gentlemen.

7 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

This is amazing stuff, and very inspiring as I've got an old Amodel Fury I'm considering stripping and rebuilding with Bare metal Foil. So it can  be done by an inspired modeller, maybe a chump like me has a chance!

I would like to see it. Given the remarkable wonders you've worked on the Stranraer I expect it will be quite a sight.

19 hours ago, limeypilot said:

That BMF is very good stuff, I've used it myself...BUT, how are you going to mask it without pulling it off again?

I would have added it after all the painting...

Ian

That is a good question. I did ponder over whether or not to give it an overall coat of silver and then foil up, which as you say would illuminate the need for masking and the risk of pulling off the foil with masking tape. The reason I opted for foil first is because I am handling the model a lot during the foiling process, admittedly via the stick in its snout, and carefully using tissues, but handling it a lot I am, and I will have to burnish it all to get an even finish afterwards. This would invariably take its toll on the paint finish. Also any damage I do to it now will be easier to repair while primed.

The backing adhesive at first glance is not that tacky, but once the foil is heavily burnished, it sticks to the surface like the proverbial “you know what” to a blanket. I will also de-tack the masking tape. Then I will cover a majority of the foiled surface with thin paper, leaving only a couple of mm or 1/8 inch of foil edge that will actually be in contact with masking tape. Then it is a matter of gently and carefully removing the tape when done. I have used this technique when masking over transfers and had no problems. Providing I’m careful it will be okay, I mean, what could possibly go wrong….

Slow progress continues – here is one for the ditch as they say – one side almost done.

IMG_2799.jpg

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Roight then. Back to fiddling with shiny foil bits. Finally finished the foiling. The nose proved surprisingly troublesome. I ended up doing it in one piece.

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

The hardest area was the engine hood. I the gun mount grooves were too deep and I kept ripping the foil. I placed little strips along their length, then managed to do the cowling in one piece, but very very slowly. At times it was like re-wrapping a Terrys chocolate orange.

IMG_2823.jpg

The underside areas around the wing roots were last and easiest.

IMG_2826.jpg

Here it is with the radiator dry fitted to see how it looks.

IMG_2830.jpg

Close up of the underside of the nose.

IMG_2851.jpg

There were a few errors and little bits flaked off here and there. I repaired theseso they are barely noticeable. I’m not going to tell you where they are either, you can have a spot the flaw competition when it gets to RFI. Inner gets a beer at Telford.

I wasn’t satisfied with the rear panel:

IMG_2831.jpg

I removed and replaced it after sanding the plastic back a little smoother.

IMG_2842.jpg

Then it was out with the Brasso for a final polish.

IMG_2858.jpg

I tried to sand to burnish these with 2500 wet and dry so they stand out.

IMG_2863.jpg

They look better from an angle to be honest. These close-ups never cut you any slack.

IMG_2865.jpg

Okay after a final polish and buff this is it. It ‘s probably a little too shiny if anything, but I will experiment on a piece of scrap with a coat of sprayed Klear. This may dull it a little, I’ll see how it looks. In any case I will finally give it a coat of Alclad Gloss varnish.

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

So now I actually get to do some proper painting. Boring old Humbrol polished aluminium next up.

• Like 30

Zounds Tomo.

Really really fine craftsmanship - that's looking like a piece of Renaissance silverware, it really is.

You have me stalking a kit on Geltbay at the moment for the sole purpose of trying a pale imitation of the lustrousness on show here.

Great to see the Midlands metal industry can still knock 'em out. :clap:

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, stevehnz said:

That is looking really good with the foil. When you started this & left the rivets prominent I had my doubts but under the foil, they're looking really good. :)

Steve.

I understand your apprehension, they are a little overscale, but let's be honest, it's a 70's Matchbox kit afterall. I did want to retain the rivets and took a  gamble on the foil neutering the overscale. 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, keefr22 said:

I usually don't like foil finishes, but that is absolutely stunning Tomo, cracking job!

Keith

Again I was apprehensive too as they can look too plastic, especially at this scale. I think the larger the scale the better IMHO, but I'm still pleased with the effect.

Roight up, sorry for the radio silence, but having extreme broadband aggravation with a certain three letter provider. Problem still not solved and all my fault apparently!

Anyroad up I finally got some paint on the go – Humbrol metalcote polished aluminium which I feel looks like high speed silver (I reckon you need to spray it over gloss black and buff it to get a polished look. This just went on top of grey primer. Some Humbrol trainer yellow, then a few coats of klear on the silver only. I tried a few coats of klear on a test piece of bare metal foil and it does dull it a little. I will test with some gloss varnish, humbrol and Alclad.

IMG_2904.jpg

As you can see it is lovely and shiny. The plain silver and shiny aluminium have a nice contrast, which is the effect I'm after. The masking tape did pull a tad corner of the BMF off, but I burnished it back down. However, I will probably have to put a lick of cyano behind it so it stays in place.

IMG_2898.jpg

I will get some decals transfers on next (there aint many, no Phantom stencils for this dude fortunately). Then panel line wash, then more varnish, then the wings on, then rigging….on and on. Back soon, a certain annoying three letter internet provider and newspaper TV magnate permitting.

• Like 21

Only just found this - I am speechless! The metal finish must have driven you around several bends but congratulations on your perseverance and a simply stunning finish. I too thought that I could be a bit patient but this wins hands down every time. Will be watching to see this one completed.

P

• Like 1

Tom, she's beautiful already, I can't wait to see how she goes from here :wub:

On 2/12/2018 at 10:46 PM, The Spadgent said:

Shiny, shiny; Fuselage of metal. 

Have an extra 'like' for the Venus in Furs reference Johnny :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers Bill, and thanks for the spare Fury and Airfix Hawker Hart - even if the latter is missing a port side fuselage half. If anyone out there has a spare, I'm willing to purchase.

Okay this is another brief update, but I’m pleased to report that I’ve managed to get the stickers on, and given it a wash. I was a little unsure as to whether I should put further coats of klear on, varnish the BMF or whatever. I took it along to the Brum IPMS meet on Sunday and the unanimous view was to leave it as it is (Bill brought in his wonderful Catalina, and made everyone jealous as he received his beermat prize - the new Airfix Phantom, which looks the absolute dog’s you-know-what – enjoy the stencils Bill, not that I’m jealous).

I aint got the heart to weather to be honest. As I said earlier I experimented with some varnish on the BMF, then I tried some gloss Alclad klear which still dulled it. So I left well alone. It aint broke so don’t fix.

It was a little tricky applying the wash – I use a mix of Winsor & Newton’s Paynes Gray and Burnt Umber diluted with Sansodor which is a mild solvent to avoid eating away at the paint. I didn’t want to damage the transfers so I applied the wash carefully with a fine brush to just the panel lines. I think the modern parlance for this sort of thing is a “pin wash” which I feel sounds a tad pretentious, a bit like calling gravy a “jus”. Anyroad a pin wash was applied. I thought I may have trouble with the BMF, but no problems. I know some folk have and opted to use fine black pens instead, but this would look too dark.

As per usual though there was a sting in the tail. I spilt a little bit onto the radiator which was painted in Alclad Polished Aluminium. I’ve heard how sensitive and fragile this stuff is, and true to form, the wash ate through it like alien xenomorph blood:

IMG_2910.jpg

A roight blinkin pain!

I sanded it back and added some BMF:

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

With that sorted I finished off the fuselage:

IMG_2922.jpg

I think it brings out the details without being too dark, although I appreciate in reality you probably wouldn't see them at this scale; but I don't have a Nigel Heath magic shrinking machine to reduce a real Fury too 1/72, so you'll just have to pretend folks.

IMG_2928.jpg

The rudder will get a coat of klear and a wash too, but tonight’s dinner beckons: smoked haddock with mashed potatoes and some broad beans.

Then at last I can get the rest of the fuselage detail and the upper wing on. Then it’s on to the rigging. Do I sound as if I’m looking forward to the latter? Mmmh, we’ll see. The holes are already drilled out ready, so hopefully it shouldn’t be too tricky…what could possibly go wrong…?

• Like 22