Revell (Matchbox) Hawker Fury Mk.I 1/72

Tomoshenko

Delicious detailing (as ever) Tomo. :thumbsup2:

I really am not eating enough takeaway food to obtain sufficient foil it seems - mine are all from fizzy wines for some reason...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No worries Tony I have a plentiful supply to chuck your way for lots and lots and lots of bits - we are talking Stephen Hawking type numbers. Can't think how I acquired that amount :P

• Haha 3

I can!

FYI Tom the Shutleworth Hind has single flying wires, of the flatter streamlined variety

An enquiring mind may be inclined to ask "How can you be sure?"

I would say yes indeed, I have regained limited access to my old hard drive and thus, its pictures

Single wires front and rear, each bay

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, perdu said:

I can!

FYI Tom the Shutleworth Hind has single flying wires, of the flatter streamlined variety

An enquiring mind may be inclined to ask "How can you be sure?"

I would say yes indeed, I have regained limited access to my old hard drive and thus, its pictures

Single wires front and rear, each bay

Thanks Bill. It bares out what folk at the club meet were saying, and double rigging wires we're added to replicas or restorations, possibly due to CAA requirements. Anyroad I've found no evidence of double rigging on the originals (of course when I eventually finish rigging it, someone will produce an original archive piccie from the 30's showing my version with double rigging!)

Roight then, I cleaned up the fuselage seams and then it was time to get the wingy things stuck on. A good fit, but there were a few trench-like grooves to fill in. First up was the tail, which after I’d stuck it on, I realised in my dotage that I’d dropped a man’s vegetable. First the tail sits slightly askew to account for torque (honest it sez so in a book and on tinternet so it must be true!); also because of the way the fit is configured, the panel line forward of the fin is too far forward. So it was on with the trusty gloop, sand and re-scribe.

IMG_2311.jpg

Ditto the underside. The lower wing fits snuggly enough, but leaves two ghastly grooves in the wrong place, plus the wing roots had to be filled and re-scribed so they are a little more in scale (one can try) and in keeping with the real deal.

On with the gloop:

IMG_2314.jpg

Sanded and scribed with the tail and rudder finished off:

IMG_2333.jpg

I also scribed an inspection panel which is just forward of the radiator housing.

IMG_2335.jpg

Here is the tail and rudder compared to the plans (the rudder is dry-fitted for the time being so I don’t bust things off it). There is also an itsy bitsy inspection panel which I replicated bodged out of take-away tin foil. I had to mould it to follow the curvature of the fuselage, hence it looks a little skew (I would say that wouldn’t I ;))

IMG_2325.jpg

From a slightly more flattering angle:

IMG_2336.jpg

An upshot to give you an idea of how it looks with the little, hinges, elevator horns and other stuff added.

IMG_2328.jpg

I have yet to make the tail struts, but can’t fix them in place until it is rigged. I haven’t checked the kit offering yet, but I suspect I may end up scratching new ones. We’ll see.

That’ll be the next task along with sorting the undercarriage out. Tarra a bit.

• Like 17

It's getting lovelier every time Tomo

I do wish gloop could be served up aromaless, its the genoux of the little bee

The epitome of delightful fillingerey

The utter wonderfulnessness of closing gaps and 'oles

The Fury is storming along

A delight, I love it

Getting better with every step. I am wondering about the tiny rudder balance and the antennae post. I started in same manner as you with my Nimrod, but managed breaking off both while adding the upper wing, and (after repairs) breaking off again (just) the antennae post when adding the lower wing decals. Wish you more luck here and go on with your excellent work.

Patrik

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, Patrik said:

Getting better with every step. I am wondering about the tiny rudder balance and the antennae post. I started in same manner as you with my Nimrod, but managed breaking off both while adding the upper wing, and (after repairs) breaking off again (just) the antennae post when adding the lower wing decals. Wish you more luck here and go on with your excellent work.

Patrik

Thank you. For that very reason I haven't glued the rudder on yet, but alas I expect I will but it off :worry:

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:04 AM, Fritag said:

Beautiful Tomo, love the detailing on the rear end.......and that is a sentence I never want to see taken out of context......:D

Steve, I am so very very tempted to respond in kind with numerous risqué double entendres but what little common sense I have remaining in my fuddled brain got the better of me :P

Roight then, I got crackin’ on the undercarriage which needed a bit of sorting out. One poster on the Made in GB thread remarked that the undercarriage is a little oversize. I thought this correct at first and that the angle was incorrect (see above) when I placed the kit version on the plans. Of course in a moment of senior dotage I realised that I hadn’t accounted for the angle of the landing gear is set at so just goes to show I’m a thicko afterall! Also, and not unreasonably, it is possible to confuse / conflate the Fury with the Nimrod – the latter has a shorter, wider stouter landing gear, and bigger wheels to account for those harsh carrier landings and extra weight.

Anyroad after revisiting the plans I decided that the kit dimensions weren’t that far out and good enough to go.

IMG_2339.jpg

However, despite a nice fit, they are a little toy townish. Especially with those horrid overscale collars:

IMG_2343.jpg

As ever there are plenty of Hawker Fury pictures out there but many are restoration and replicas, and as you know pragmatism and lack of spares often dictates necessity and results in a lack of accuracy – including one piccie I saw of a restored Fury with motorbike wheels!! Anyroad this is near enough the look I’m after which is quite a bit different from the kit offering:

Wheel.jpg

First up was to modify the wheels which the kit offerings somewhat strike me as resembling a Chinese conical hat, plus they appear hollow, but as you can see the wheel rims are virtually flush with the tyres. So a bit of sanding, cutting out new wheel inserts with some punched out beer can disks. I even tried to replicate some rivets but alas scale and my limitations got the better of me so I quit while I was still a nag’s nose ahead.

IMG_2350.jpg

The kit struts are round and slightly too fat, whereas the real aircraft’s are ovular and streamlined. I cut some sections of brass tube, flattened it slightly, and sanded them smooth. I used parts of the vertical strut with an added panel line. I made up little collar inserts from copper wire (care of defunct electrical cable from long dead appliances), and little sections of rod. Part progress below, set against some scribblings I took from the kit bits pre Tomoshenko butchery.

IMG_2363.jpg

Here are the bits ready to go with some hydraulic pipes added and little sleeves made from take-away foil which you can’t see very easily.

IMG_2375.jpg

Now I won’t glue them all together and in place yet as it will make them easier to paint. They generally appear to be polished aluminium, but some references show a mixture of NMF and painted aluminium – definitely not canvas – so I’ll take a rain cheque on that for the time being. Dry fitting them in place to show you guys was very fiddly, and a little askew until I finally glue them. But anyroad this is what they look like compare to the original kit offering.

Before:

IMG_2344.jpg

After:

IMG_2370.jpg

And in (albeit a little wonky) situ:

IMG_2378.jpg

Those can be set aside for the time being, and I shall now turn my attention to finishing off the underside. Tarra a bit.

• Like 20

Hello Tomo,

This is no longer a matchbox kit !!

The amount of work is amazing :worthy::worthy::worthy:

All my congratulations !

sincerely.

corsaircorp

Edited by corsaircorp
I made a mistake
  • Like 1

I dont suppose this is going to be as helpful as I wanted Tomo

Shuttlleworth's Demon, legs look basically the same 

Sorry if not a help mate

P1130904.jpg

Obviously missing the tapered fairing but might help a bit  :(

P1130902.jpg

I don't seem able to show the Hart I took too :(

ah fountem!

P1130942.jpg

Looks like a lot of variation on basically the same-st undercart

Yours looks great mate

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh my......

11 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

IMG_2370.jpg

This man has found the key to defeating the evil revelations of macro-photography.

Unfortunately that key involves perfect multi-media-micro-modelling - and as such is almost impossible to copy!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2