MUSTANG AND A CAT

Completed one relatively 'slow' build (a few weeks of evenings and weekends - by my rush-y standards quite slow): the second of my Eduard Combo Hellcats. And also a weekend build of a Tamiya F-51 in ROKAF colours. Both in 1/48. Both painted with rattle cans and brush. 

First up was the Hellcat, totally OOB. And not technically historical in any way - more a vague representation... 

This kit is I think my new favourite build. The fit is fantastic. The wings and horizontal stabilisers slot into recesses in the fuselage leaving no gaps, seams, marks at all. It's a real joy to build. The only issue with it (which was also a problem on my first build of the combo) is that the wheel wells are not part of the lower wing. This means that if the landing gear requires any level of force to get in place, the well can pop out and sit lose in the wing. This is more an issue if you already have the wings on! Thankfully I didn't and could glue the well in place again from the side. 

This was my first time painting on invasion stripes. I couldn't believe how well they went. I used standard tape cut to 10mm width, and used only primers. I think the primers helped avoid any visibly build-up of paint, as they go on so thin. In fact - I was so happy with the wings that I chickened out on the fuselage, convinced I would foul them up on a less forgiving shape. So - I am aware those are missing. Next time. 

I also for the first time made port and starboard lights by drilling into the recess, inserting a 2mm bit of wire, painting it, then covering with a blob of PVA. Quite happy with this, but is there a glue that dries even more clear? 

I think on reflection this build is a little too clean. But I am happy with it. 

YL3jGia.jpg

1tUbreJ.jpg

xV6YSsy.jpg

CtIAgdh.jpg

And with it's box-mate.

RyxS7JS.jpg

The Tamiya P/F-51 used to be one of my favourite kits in terms of a quick, slick build that always came out well. This time I had a real issue with whorls in the plastic. I thought they might be oil, so washed the parts twice, and even after two thin layers of primer these variations were still visible... They are most clear on the horizontal stabilizers. 

I wanted to do something a bit different with this kit, having made a lot of USAAF 51s over the years, and went for a Korean number.

I ordered some decals I hadn't heard of before of ebay... and they were pretty ancient. At least I think. They were 'ABT No101', and come as one single sheet, with the carrier paper covering all decals. I was pretty worried about using these - but actually loved them. They were thick, and didn't conform at all to panel lines, even with a few goes of micro sol. But I actually like the look, they were on register, good colour, and had a nice semi-matte finish. 

All the photos I had seen of ROKAF Mustangs showed pretty grimey birds. So I went in on the weathering. Base paint was Tamiya bare metal silver. A few panels were then sprayed with Tamiya's titanium silver. Finally smaller panels were brush painted with Vallejo chome and aluminium. The whole thing was then brushed with vallejo satin varnish. before a load of dust and grime went on. 

I brush painted the walk strips (non-historical) and the sliding main canopy part with Vallejo 'grey-black' over the sprayed Tamiya - which makes it really easy to weather with scratches. I used my finger nail - which led to (I think) nicely random looking chipping and scratches. 

Was OOB apart from some extra radio wiring, and belts made from rolled flat solder. 

VCmkSFU.jpg

DIXuclw.jpg

n2UvYZ8.jpg

MOTepoE.jpg

fBgmxAC.jpg

Thanks for looking. As always - all criticism, questions, and comments most welcome! 

Bruce 

• Like 19

21 minutes ago, Habu12 said:

Oh hey! Another ROKAF Mustang! Much better job on this one, mate. I used the HB kit, and it's not the best representation. This one is nice and dirty, I dig!

Thank you! It was your build that made my mind up. I think mine's a little too knackered looking... and actually - my decal instructions suggested olive drab anti-glare panel, like yours. Though some pics I saw do appear to be black... Dig yours too - I think the ROKAF markings suit the Mustang! 

Cheers

• Thanks 1