1/48 Kitty Hawk Su-35 Flanker- Abandoned

ScottC

Hi all

I am (like Muzz) going to build the Kitty Hawk Su-35, I was going to enter with the Hobbyboss Su-30 but I couldn't resist starting it and its past the 20% mark now so will have to go with the 35. Hopefully Muzz and I wont end up doing the same colour scheme ( I'm doing the second prototype 902 in the Dark Grey, Light Grey, White splinter scheme) 

ScottC

• Like 3

On 25/09/2017 at 6:57 PM, ScottC said:

Hi all

I am (like Muzz) going to build the Kitty Hawk Su-35, I was going to enter with the Hobbyboss Su-30 but I couldn't resist starting it and its past the 20% mark now so will have to go with the 35. Hopefully Muzz and I wont end up doing the same colour scheme ( I'm doing the second prototype 902 in the Dark Grey, Light Grey, White splinter scheme) 

ScottC

Great to see someone else doing one Scott, no problem on the colour scheme front as I'm planning on doing the 'standard' blue/grey camo scheme, the splinter scheme is a looker though.

Muzz

Well here we go, it's starting time.

A bit of inspiration for us all a nice video of the Su-35 (including the aircraft I'm building) from youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Uou-_H8iw

And here's the obligatory box shot on the end of my workbench (note the SU-30 sneaking into the shot )

37407589591_c910793245_k.jpgIMG_0025 by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

ScottC

Edited by ScottC
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more done on the 35 over the last couple of days.

The cockpit tub is now fitted into the upper fuselage half.

37887747376_0461918053_k.jpgIMG_0064 by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

And I have made a start on painting the resin thrust vectoring nozzles from Amur, they are very nicely cast and are a big improvement over the kit nozzles which are just point straight out the back rather than sitting at rest like the resin replacements.

37887732576_77fc13ad4f_k.jpgIMG_0063 by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

That's all for now

ScottC

• Like 3

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very nice start!

Is this Eduard PE in the cockpit? Colors look a bit very blue ....

The etch comes with the kit. The interior colour is Akah Grey dark blue (73069) which is supposed to be based on the actual cockpit colour. it does look a bit bluer in the photo due to the flash

ScottC

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And so the painting has begun !

38608460776_f2cd83f540_k.jpgIMG_0086 by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

I haven't gone completely mad and just started sticking masking tape randomly all over the airframe.....Honest :)

24792324668_712e818769_k.jpgIMG_0088 by Scott Clayton, on Flickr

The first 2 colours on, just one more to go, I'm painting the 2 vertical stabilisers and the tailplanes separately. 

ScottC

• Like 1

This build wont be getting finished, I've dropped the model this evening and the cockpit tub and instrument panel have dropped inside the fuselage and I wont be able to get it back out with splitting the model open, something I'm not even going to attempt any time soon.... so that's it, its curtains for now.

Good luck with your builds guys

ScottC

• Sad 4

• ScottC changed the title to 1/48 Kitty Hawk Su-35 Flanker- Abandoned

Ah! I'd only just started to read your thread and then discovered the sad news in very quick succession. What a great shame, Scott, especially when you've clearly put so much effort into it. I hope you can get back to the build in the future and continue your excellent work.

Andrew.

On 27/11/2017 at 18:18, ScottC said:

This build wont be getting finished, I've dropped the model this evening and the cockpit tub and instrument panel have dropped inside the fuselage and I wont be able to get it back out with splitting the model open, something I'm not even going to attempt any time soon.... so that's it, its curtains for now.

That's a shame Scott :( Have you considered trying to fish the pit back into position and maybe holding it in place with a hole drilled underneath, which can apply pressure while you glue it back?  I had a similar issue with my J-22 (here), and managed to get it back in place.  In all honesty, it's a bit better glued in now, so although it was a birrova faff, it turned out ok :)

The other option would be to razor saw a section out of it, re-glue the assemblies and then repair the cuts.  It would involve a minor re-paint, but a lot less likely to result in disaster than a full disassembly.  :owww:

Whatever you decide, don't skip it, as I hate to see models going to landfill.  They're not cheap, and even if you decide you can't be bovvered, someone else might ;)  That's not a hint BTW, as I've got one already :coolio:

Thanks all

I think I can pull it back up and hopefully glue it back into place, but the instrument panel has disappeared into the bowls of the airframe and even if I can get it back I don't think I could get it back in place.

Rest assured it will get finished one day and will never end up in the bin, I've never binned a kit yet. I'm just a bit bummed out about dropping it and after finishing a Su-27 and a Su-30 in quick succession I could probably do with a Flanker break.

I will post the finished model one day :)

ScottC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...