F86-F Sabre refurb

rob Lyttle

I finished a little Sabre F86-E in 1/72 recently and was quite pleased with the outcome

IMG_20170914_231824

So then I was looking at a previous Sabre build -  I've always remembered it is a hobbyboss kit but after conversations it probably was Academy.

In 1/48, it's the one supplied with the engine and the option to cut the fuselage and display it with the rear on a trolley and the motor on display. I'm probably not the only one who followed that option, and then regretted it....!

Well, anyway, I was thinking about upgrading her, to see if I can apply some of what I've learned over time 

IMG_20161213_002343

IMG_20161213_002259

The airframe is pretty sound and the foil isn't bad, but the decor is poor.

Definitely worth a go 

• Like 2

The Stars n Bars and USAF seem to have suffered most. The underside for some reason has come off worst. Doing this didn't take any effort -

IMG_20170924_224525

The tanks came off easily, and the tail section of the fuselage which I had spot glued on.

The airbrakes were just placed in the closed position, so I could fit them open - it does seem to be the way they were parked!

The yellow bands- they seem to be in good shape - and that's a good thing!

Because the sheets of

Ah ferf, 3 paragraph s have just disappeared into a Parallel universe...

IMG_20170924_224715

IMG_20170925_234421

IMG_20170924_231239

You get the gist....

Too tired to type all that again.

• Like 1

Right, getting that thing going on the wings, with the inverted kitchen foil for the lighter panels.

IMG_20170924_224628

I just trimmed it to the black edge of the yellow panels.

Also tried to improve the area that the canopy slides over with a couple of low rails ,

IMG_20170924_225056

• Like 1

And a start on the undersides,

IMG_20170926_233137

I've cleaned back a strip for the pylon attachment, and applying the kitchen foil up to there. I want a good plastic to plastic joint for the tank pylons.

Second piece,

IMG_20170926_235520

I have found it quite handy having the fuselage in two pieces, after all!

I've been doing that while this lot is drying ,

IMG_20170926_235614

There'll be a big join up eventually, but meanwhile I'm going along with it!

Squadron and Wing - wise, I would have liked to have gone with the"Rocketeers" again, but their decor requires the big yellow band on the vertical tail - and I ain't got one.

Part of the text that disappeared previously was me moaning about the AeroMaster decal sheets not having the yellow bands- just the black borders and advice to paint them yourself. Thanks for that, guys!

So, checkerboard tail ID it is, the 51st FIW.

12950 was Col. J.Mitchell's plane, "Mitch's Squitch". As Commander, he carries the three - colour nose band. That's going to add a flash of colour to the whole enterprise, isn't it?

Underside done and ready for the tanks.

IMG_20170928_230704

And the banner decor round the nose,

IMG_20170928_230803

The Red nose, I discovered, I filled with plasticine for weight, and tacked in place. So it can easily be removed for foiling - I think I need to get some around the inside of the form,too.

And I'm going for the fuselage join up soon.

IMG_20170928_230835

She's looking like some kind of experimental deHavilland prototype at the moment!

• Like 1

I'm going over the drop tanks before refitting and there's a question that's staring me in the face....

IMG_20170929_210057

All the pictures and reference show tanks with plain triangular fins.

The Academy tanks I've got have vertical end plates, as you can see.

Are they just wrong? Or was there a variation of design over time?

If there were SOME pictures of this type, that would be fine.

But I don't think I've seen any.

What's going on?

Even my little 1/72 Sabre has the other tanks,

IMG_20170913_230817

Edited by rob Lyttle

There was a variation over time ... the plane triangles good for early Korea till 1952 early ’53. The endplates were added for stability around that time. Im not sure if they got to Korea like that ? Let me look at some stuff. 

Ok after a quick search of my photos i dont see any in korea with endplates. I see them starting in about 53-54 with late F’s and H’s and late D’s. My D photo’s taken in 1954-55 dont have them for an ADC Unit. So i would probably remove the endplates. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the kit came with the yellow Korean bands on the decal sheet but also with a pair of sidewinder type missiles and pylons - which came much later. I mentioned these before, I think..

I can't remember if there were alternative tanks or fins, and I picked the wrong ones - or if Academy were muddled.

I can't just take the endplates off, because that leaves the fins with straight cut tips.

I'm going to take a look in the spare parts bags (esp the bag with the missiles in) see if they gave me an alternative.

Could try a scratch built solution.

Thanks for the info.👍

You coud use super thin sheet plastic to re-do the fins use the ones on the tanks as a master ? 

Sadly i probably have what you need but were about 3800 miles apart. And i cant just drop them in  the mail. Ive looked into sending things to the UK. Prices start about $90.00 US.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Prices start about $90.00 US.

UNless the above is a typo (see below) 

while USPS is expensive (after they upped airmail prices 40% in 2013!!)  you can still send small bits, the cheapest is First-Class Package International Service, $9.50 cheapest    for small packets, and First-Class Mail International,  cheapest $1.15, for postcards, envelopes and flats

https://www.usps.com/international/preparing-international-shipments.htm

HTH

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No typo i checked with post office about two months ago. I tried to send a turret to a gentleman in the UK. And the post office quoted $90.00 for a small package less than 1 pound in weight.

well, check the USPS link I gave, they have quoted for the most expensive service,  the First Class International service  is the basic airmail, and prices are in the link.

a 3oz packet to  the UK comes up as  being $13.50 for example.  

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=10150&ccode=GB&omil=False&dmil=False&mdt=9%2F29%2F2017&mdz=10%3A29&m=6&dvi=2&p=0&o=3

scroll down,  cheapest at bottom

HTH

• Like 1

IMG_20170930_125954

Tank on the left has just had a trim and I think it looks OK.

Hard to get a good view of a tank because there's always a wing in the way.

Have a look and  pass comments

IMG_20170930_125924

I got the nose foiled too. Tricky enough, but worth the effort!

IMG_20170930_134038

The gun ports plate I redid with some of the kitchen foil I had boiled up with eggshells.

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 1

Yep, I'm going to settle for this solution.

I did find a pair of these in the spare parts department,

IMG_20170930_213337

The pylons look right for a Sabre , and check out the tanks on this,

IMG_20170930_213417

There is one on the ground waiting to be attached to the starboard wing.

Ever done a Sabre with tanks like these? That's definitely Korean era in the picture. Couple more planes in the background but my photo is poor.