Public holiday quick build - Tamiya 1:48 Humber Armoured Car

SimonL

My current Bronco Staghound build has been off the boil to say the least the last month, so I turned to one of the excellent Tamiya 1:48 military vehicles as a quick build to get my hand back in. It's a public holiday here in Perth, and the weather hasn't been great, so a good excuse to get some glueing and painting done.

My choice this time is the Humber Armoured Car.

37282785411_423b849656_b.jpg

Sprueshots.

37425168145_98ab74e5f5_b.jpg

37026790880_3b9d8aeb55_b.jpg

As always, progress was very quick in terms of construction.

37235970306_1b19c3077c_b.jpg

36613474703_a7eab6bfa1_b.jpg

And here was where I was at on Sunday evening. Just a little filler needed

36636701013_fa5db76a2a_b.jpg

Monday was spent brush painting. Some home mixed Tamiya Acrylic SCC115 from a previous project. Tyres done in Tamiya NATO black. I managed to knock one wing mirror off. That's  it now until next weekend. 

37050534560_d69f4e0c5f_b.jpg

• Like 5

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:38 PM, SimonL said:

I managed to knock one wing mirror off. That's  it now until next weekend. 

Why wait until the weekend to knock other things off? :D

Seriously though, good progress. That looks a nice kit.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

On 29/09/2017 at 2:55 AM, PlaStix said:

Impressive so far! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 29/09/2017 at 3:08 AM, Blaubar said:

Looking good!

And your speed... wow.

/Stefan

Thankyou Stefan and Stix.  It's a great quick build.

On 29/09/2017 at 3:12 AM, Badder said:

Why wait until the weekend to knock other things off? :D

Seriously though, good progress. That looks a nice kit.

Reargaurds,

Badder

Ha-ha, although actually I did knock it off again!  😡 This time reattached with superglue.

So on to today's fun, a couple of coats of my diminishing supply of Acrylic floor polish. 

36697987174_9a87272668_b.jpg

Then on with the decals. Amazing how these really bring the kit to life. Had few issues with the front red and white marking, but nothing a little weathering won't cover.

23555049078_80485d52ae_b.jpg

37376447212_03e695a373_b.jpg

weathering tomorrow!

• Like 3

Liking the look of that so far. Very nice.

I question your use of a plastic palette though. I've read/seen that those who use oils place their blobs on cardboard and leave them for up to 6hrs. This draws the linseed oil out of the paint and speeds up the drying time by a significant factor, while leaving the paint workable/removable with thinners. e

I've used oils only once (on a Quad tractor and 25pdr) and it took a week to dry. (I didn't know about the cardboard palette thing back then)

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Thanks Badder, as it happens I wasn’t able to get back to it during the week, but I tried your suggestion for the final wash (filter?) of raw umber today and it did appear to dry much faster. Enough to allow me to push on and finish it, with some dry brushing with some Tamiya flat earth and a few extras like the aerial (courtesy of a dropped whisker from one of the cats).

37517242456_2b6acf7894_b.jpg

37565443961_19c9c5c43c_b.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyable, and I think the oil experiment worked well enough for me to have a bash next time I make an aircraft.

More pics shortly in RFI. Thanks for following.

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:45, Badder said:

I question your use of a plastic palette though. I've read/seen that those who use oils place their blobs on cardboard and leave them for up to 6hrs. This draws the linseed oil out of the paint and speeds up the drying time by a significant factor, while leaving the paint workable/removable with thinners. e

I read the same post Badder, but in that case, the person was talking about the use of oils as a means to do shading  and blending on figures. Oils used straight from the tube in that case, would take a long time to dry (sometimes days), so the cardboard method is useful. But when it comes to streaking on armour, it's not necessary as it's blended/removed with a brush, moistened with thinners. Whenever I've used the dot method with oils, it has dried fairly quickly because of the evaporation of the thinners. Also when mixing oils with thinners to make a wash/filter, the drying rate is governed by the thinners.

That aside, the A/C is looking good Simon, but your quick build has really slowed down. :lol:

John. 

Edited by Bullbasket
Memory failure!
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Oils used straight from the tube in that case, would take a long time to dry (sometimes days), so the cardboard method is useful. But when it comes to streaking on armour, it's not necessary as it's blended/removed with a brush, moistened with thinners. Whenever I've used the dot method with oils, it has dried fairly quickly because of the evaporation of the

thinners. Also when mixing oils with thinners to make a wash/filter, the drying rate is governed by the thinners.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that John.

Although I have used a dark blue oil wash on a Quad Tractor and that was still 'active' a week later! so I'm not sure what was going on there. :think:

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Thanks Badder, as it happens I wasn’t able to get back to it during the week, but I tried your suggestion for the final wash (filter?) of raw umber today and it did appear to dry much faster. Enough to allow me to push on and finish it, with some dry brushing with some Tamiya flat earth and a few extras like the aerial (courtesy of a dropped whisker from one of the cats).

Excellent result Simon!

Always nice to see someone try a new technique for the first time and have success! And yes, 'filter' would be the right word. :lol: At 'dropped' cat whisker. Come on, be honest, scissors were involved!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1