Meteor TT20

BritJet

This Meteor used to be at an Air Training Corps close to where I used to live and the colour scheme always interested me. I got an Aeroclub winch and an old Matchbox Meteor NF so that left no excuses. The decals are a combination of my own and those from the kit. The target towing gear under the rear fuselage is scratchbuilt.

resized_a849fb6d-b216-45b5-b6e6-43ba908d

resized_bb189cf3-7ea9-4d8a-b468-e47b1c3c

resized_5836c0f1-d634-41ed-ba47-e9785889

Steve

• Like 52

Thanks, it took a long time to mask all the different colours.

14 hours ago, propforward said:

Very nice - nice unusual subject, very well done. That's not the one at Chelmsford ATC is it?

Edit: nope that was a different one.

It was at Sheldon which is near Birmingham airport and is now at Manston painted as an NF11

Steve

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BritJet said:

This Meteor used to be at an Air Training Corps close to where I used to live and the colour scheme always interested me. I got an Aeroclub winch and an old Matchbox Meteor NF so that left no excuses. The decals are a combination of my own and those from the kit. The target towing gear under the rear fuselage is scratchbuilt.

resized_a849fb6d-b216-45b5-b6e6-43ba908d

resized_bb189cf3-7ea9-4d8a-b468-e47b1c3c

resized_5836c0f1-d634-41ed-ba47-e9785889

Steve

Lovely Meteor Steve. 

I was part of the team who dismantled and moved WD646 to North Weald in 1990'ish. It was painted red and white by then.

• Like 1

Cheers

4 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Lovely Meteor Steve. 

I was part of the team who dismantled and moved WD646 to North Weald in 1990'ish. It was painted red and white by then.

The last time I saw it this scheme had been overpainted with camo and squadron (85 I think) markings, that was June 1988. Not seen any photos of the red and white scheme. 

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

Lovely model there Steve.

You don't make things easy for yourself though, do you?  Silver ,Day-glo and yellow all on the one model!

Don't forget the black stripes underneath......... They took some masking over all the curves.

33 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Lovely Meteor, but only three photos? Tut tut!

I don't tend to take any more than three to be honest as I get bored with multiple shots from basically the same angle. The only bit you're really missing out on are the black stripes underneath!

Steve

On 25/09/2017 at 2:47 AM, propforward said:

Very nice - nice unusual subject, very well done. That's not the one at Chelmsford ATC is it?

Edit: nope that was a different one.

I remember that one, I used to go to Maldon ATC. Pity the Meteor isn't there anymore

Thanks guys.

On 26/09/2017 at 04:04, stevehnz said:

I'm well impressed with this. I've all the requisite bits to do a RN one come the day, silver & yellow, at least no day glo to contend with, you've done good with that. :)

Steve.

Some of the RN TT20s were painted in a very light green instead of the yellow. My first thought was it was down to dodgy old film but apparently a few were painted that way for some reason. Would make an unusual model.

Steve

This was the white/red/yellow/black sheme WD646 was in when we dismantled her.

Its in much better state of preservation now since being indoors at Manston for ~15 years and being very well restored back to NF11 status.

37328274062_4028ef6ff6_z.jpgWD646 meteor scans1 by hornet project, on Flickr

And here's another one: WM224_X.

37311032396_d0eab51275_z.jpg. by hornet project, on Flickr

36688270683_b3fa703504_z.jpg. by hornet project, on Flickr

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 2

Terrific.  I really like that a lot.  I've sort of had a plan to build one like this myself.  Love these second line jobs.  Mine will be a FAA one (when I finally get round to it). 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 1:47 AM, jhutchi said:

I remember that one, I used to go to Maldon ATC. Pity the Meteor isn't there anymore

That's a bummer. I used to really enjoy looking at that oh so long ago. Used to work in the factory next door for a while. All that's left of it is Meteor Way now I guess. But I digress. Thanks to the thread owner for bringing back some good memories with a great model!

Thanks everyone.

On 27/09/2017 at 21:17, David A Collins said:

This was the white/red/yellow/black sheme WD646 was in when we dismantled her.

Its in much better state of preservation now since being indoors at Manston for ~15 years and being very well restored back to NF11 status.

Thanks for sharing the photos, it must have been repainted as it was camo'd last time I saw it there. Your TT20 looks very nice, they certainly are amongst the most striking Meteor colour schemes.

On 28/09/2017 at 00:39, Orso said:

Veru nice. Lately I got a soft spot fot target towing aircraft an managed to finish six of them now. So I like it very much when someone post a new build. Your towing gear look great.

I used the photos of your Meteor when I was building mine, so thank you for your help! There's not much information around about the target tugs but I share your interest as I like the more unusual subjects. Your Meteor has turned out really well.

Steve

• 2 years later...

That's a delightful Meteor you have there. I too enjoy making target tug models but it can be very difficult to find decent reference photos or drawings showing the equipment fitted. My own Meteor TT.20 took ages due to trying to get the under fuselage fittings as accurate as possible.

Thanks, you're right about it being difficult to get information about the equipment. I got some photos of the partial towing gear on this Meteor, despite the snarly Alsatian! I can scan them if they're of use.

1395267-large.jpg

Have you got "The Long Drag"? 

Steve

• Like 2