PZL.23 A (Karas I) 1/72 IBG Models

Hi gents,

since the new IBG Models kit is just fab so I could not resists my temptation to build it asap. So this is the finished article built OOB except few small mods to the base kit. The markings were sourced of my decal bank and the kit represents the Karas I No.2, one of the longest serving machine of this type in the Romanian Air Force (struck off charge in 1948). I believe there might be soon a reboxing with Romanian marking by IBG too, hope they will include some of the late-style camouflage colours.

Cheers

Libor

36619557363_aaaf9c16f9_b.jpg

36619557293_070a9caf1e_b.jpg

36619557083_403c8c5a8a_b.jpg

36619557023_2489d5c5d5_b.jpg

36619556753_a6c1a17056_b.jpg

• Like 45

Fantastic work, Libor! Plus an unusual subject I think, at least for me. That makes the model more alluring - and, of course, your workmanship is beautiful. I love your subtle weathering techniques.  :)  :)  :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Impressive handiwork on a type that I'm not very familiar with.

Judging from the superbly executed finish, Romanian aircraft paint seems to have been quite resistant to wear and tear, but readily soluble in aviation fuel. Not having seen any photos of a Karas, I have no idea if leaking fuel effect is true to life, or a bit of a poetic license. :-)

Impressive modelling all the same!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Many thanks for kind comments gents, much appreciated!

Joachim: in fact, the upper colour is still the original Polish one (the machine has been completely repainted at a later date during an overhaul). The paint wear on the wing was done according to period pictures and colour profile in the Polish Wings No.17 publication by Stratus - I can just recommend this book, it offers wealth of information on PZL.23/43 in Polish, Romanian and Bulgarian AF.

Cheers

Libor

Nice work Libor on this brand new kit! The photo of real thing in similar pattern (but with "15" instead of "2") is here:

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania romanian pzl 43 karas

It confirms good shape of original paint. Especialy that overpainted roundles are from 1939 previous style of  Romanian national insignias (not Polish checkboards) . The yellow crosses were introduced in 1940, I think (please correct me). The overpainted strips are former yellow ones from 1941 conflicts in Balkans I think (Greek or Yugoslav campigns) so the photo looks like taken not earlier than in summer '41...

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi Jerzy,

this photo was actually taken in June 1941 and it shows some irregularities in the applied markings. Btw, those wing stripes were red and then over painted  I can really recommend the aforementioned Stratus books which nicely shows the Karas No.2 after an accident in July 1941 (page 61).

Cheers / pozdrawiam

Libor

• Like 1

Libor,  of course i did not suggested that No 2 does not existed. Just wanted to show that really paint was not worn despite at least two years of exploitation. Moreover - that overpaintings you reconstructed was there.

Thanks for confirming my speculation on the date of making this photo. You are right with red belts - I recall similar on RWD 13 from Romanian "escadrilla alba" :) I wrote too fast "yellow"...

Ahoj - cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

6b96e2ec-2bef-424a-869c-52b1ccd851e5.jpg

c52a1ab3-2f4e-4834-a410-31f2445bea5d.jpg

It is a canvas cover. Under surfaces have been repainted (spats are same colour as the underneath, not khaki). This was not unusual.

Roundels were replaced with King Michel's Crosses in May 1941. Germany required its allies on the Eastern Front to adopt national markings that were of similar appearance to theirs. 25 cm stripes were applied on the wings from 19th October 1940, either yellow, blue, or red. The colour indicated the section within a flight. These were removed in May 1941 and a yellow 50 cm band painted around the fuselage. Fighter aircraft had their cowlings painted yellow but is is unusual to find this on a Karaś.

512320a9-d09c-4639-905a-8f3f6ddf32e9.jpg

At the end of 1940, beginning of 1941, those Karaś (21 machines) that had been evacuated to Romania were concentrated at Băeasa airfield where they were overhauled. Some were cannibalised which provided 19 serviceable aircraft. Some had characteristics of both the 23A and 23B versions. This appears to be the case with Number 2 as it looks like it does not have the leading edge slots of the 23A. Perhaps they were removed or maybe the wings were replaced with those from a 23B?

4b8d75cb-5342-444e-bd3b-568f012414da.jpg

The under surfaces may have been repainted. The left spat appears to be the same colour as the under surfaces but the right appears to be khaki apart from a bright patch where the sun has caught it. Perhaps the appearance is caused by deep shadow.

fea649b2-0662-450b-925f-6d1faab2e737.jpg

The upper surfaces of both wings are in a terrible state, perhaps caused by the paint being attacked by spilled fuel. On the port wing is a dark patch with soft edges that looks like the area has been resprayed. The centre of the patch is already covered in fuel spillage streaks.

On the starboard wing the equivalent area has very little paint left, perhaps rubbed down with an abrasive. Was it being prepared for repainting? I do not see any sign of the overpainting of the previous marking as on Number 15.

Edited by 303sqn

I really like the build and finish Libor.

Lovely version of an aircraft I know very little about!

Any idea of approximately how long did it took you to build and finish this kit to this standard given that you suggest it's mostly OOB?

Cheers

Bruce 

Hi Bruce,

no that long, maybe two weeks, but not on daily basis, mostly weekends. The instructions suggest some odd building steps, for instance attaching the starboard fuselage halve to assembled wing and then add the port one, but I used more conventional approach and all went fine. From my additions I would mention the seat belts and rescribing the exhaust the collector ring which was omitted on the cowling.

Cheers

Libor