Eurofighter Typhoon crashed into sea at italian airshow

alex

Just read in the news that at an italian airshow a Typhoon of the experimental department crashed into the sea, leaving the 36 year old pilot dead. Investigation started. Sorry for italian link, I'm sure google can translate it.

http://roma.repubblica.it/cronaca/2017/09/24/news/terracina_aereo_militare_precipita_in_mare_durante_air_show-176394210/?ref=RHPPLF-BL-I0-C8-P1-S1.8-T1

:(

Alex

• Sad 1

Plenty of video showing up in Youtube of the display + crash...

Sadly i think by the time he knew he'd messed up it was far too late.

:poppy: My thoughts are with his family,friends and Sqn...and also those who organised the display and those on the beach...seen 5 fatal accidents at airshows myself over the years and its never pleasent experience to witness

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, magwitch said:

A Spanish one crashed yesterday.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/20946/Spanish_Eurofighter_Crashes_Following_Military_Parade#.WeA7HjARVaQ

Imagine the Internet if 3 F-35s went down in one month!

Not likely. That means that three different F-35s would all have to be able to fly in the same month.

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Not likely. That means that three different F-35s would all have to be able to fly in the same month.

Regards,

Jason

Permit me to blow your mind.

• Like 4

Wow, four F-35s in the air at once! I wonder how much that little Air Force commercial cost the American taxpayer? And the three months they're going to spend in the maintenance hangar whilst they figure out all the problems that cropped up in that one flight? I suppose I better stop it at that, or this will get political very quickly indeed.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
An ever-so slight change, really just a trifle.
  • Like 2

Can we get back on topic please? :shrug:

Do we know yet whether the Spanish pilot managed to get out,? :hmmm: or when during the return it went down?

Looks like the pilot didn't make it if the Telegraph's marvellous journalism can be believed:

The spokesman said the pilot didn't have time to jump out of the jet, adding that the causes of the crash are under investigation.

Kind of beats Dan Snow's statement that Spitfire pilots used to eject when they were shot down in the BoB :owww:

To definitely get back on topic, condolences to the family of that brave pilot. Anyone who takes off in a high-performance jet is a very brave man or woman. Braver than me I'll warrant. I get to write about aeroplanes from the comfort of my chair whilst these brave souls hurl themselves forward at insane speeds in monstrously powerful and all-too fragile machines.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

On 10/13/2017 at 12:09 PM, Mike said:

Do we know yet whether the Spanish pilot managed to get out,? :hmmm: or when during the return it went down?

Looks like the pilot didn't make it

RIP to the pilot, looked like no chance of ejection.....Break to land at the end of the flypast...

http://casoaislado.com/salen-la-luz-las-fotos-del-accidente-del-eurofighter/

• 5 months later...