Sturmgeshutz III Ausf D

HL-10

This is the Bronco kit of the SdKfz 142, Sturmgeschutz IIID.

This model represents one of three Stug IIIDs used in North Africa by Sonder Verband 288, which were tropicalized for use in Africa.

The Bronco kit goes together with no dramas at all.

The jerry cans are supplied in the kit, and I added a few other stowage items.

Tracks are individual, working links, as provided in the kit

I replaced the kit's etched light brush guards with ones made from wire.

The crew are Dragon figures, fitted with Hornet heads.

Painted with Humbrol enamels. 

IMG_1361.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

Thanks for looking  :)

Angelo

• Like 18

Very good Angelo!

The figures' eyes are very well done, way better than most, so that's the first thing that....er.... caught my eye! :worthy:

That shade of dunkengelb is great, and nicely weathered.

Now, I know what you did with the road wheels, dirtying/dusty-ing them up on the rubber on the 'side walls', but leaving them clean on the rubber contacted by the tracks, but maybe you overdid the dirtying? It looks like the StuG drove through a muddy puddle, rather than sand, but there's none of that same level of 'dirt' on the tracks or the wheel hubs. It just looks a bit odd to me. 

The only other thing I'd like to have seen is rusty exhausts, but then, I am turning more and more to the very dirty side!

Great to see another StuG done so well, and another for the BM archive!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Excellent looking build. :thumbsup2:

Something about figures makes them look like they were pasted into the photo, particularly photo 5 & 6 - why do their heads looks so small compared to body?  Your camera is doing some funky things?

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Badder said:

The only other thing I'd like to have seen is rusty exhausts, but then, I am turning more and more to the very dirty side!

Thanks for the comments.

The exhausts are rusty, but the effect I buried below the dust.

I think that you've made a great job of it all round,the figures especially. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the exhausts. Given the climatic conditions in N.Africa, I think that there's less likelihood of seeing rust on them, but they'd probably have more bare metal showing from where the pain has burned off. Just my 2 centimes worth.

John.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Given the climatic conditions in N.Africa, I think that there's less likelihood of seeing rust on them, but they'd probably have more bare metal showing from where the pain has burned off

Heat, plus moisture in the exhaust fumes would defo cause rusting. (And if near the coast, there'd be plenty of humidity in the air as well)

Rearguards,

Badder

Nice Stug, good weathering and painting.  The road wheels looks bit odd, as the sides of rubber are covered with dust and the running part not. I imagine that when moving it cleaned itself, but on the model contrast is to big. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

something to note ?

Thank you! :)

The kit fits with little problems or dramas.

All I found a bit of pain was the fitting of the air filters, there are about 3 different ways to fit them, and the instructions aren't that clear.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HL-10 said:

Thank you! :)

The kit fits with little problems or dramas.

All I found a bit of pain was the fitting of the air filters, there are about 3 different ways to fit them, and the instructions aren't that clear.

I will keep that in mind, thank you, so some reference will be helpful.

The kit looks very well detailed and you have also more track links for a stronger "sack" which looks good.

I have just finished a Dragon StuG III Ausf.C/D so i can compare both results. ( photos soon )

• Like 1