RAF camoflage color matches

nsmekanik

To reopen an old :worms:  :evil_laugh: Actually the last time I've painted anything Raf was with the old Pollyscale line and now it's time for an upgrade of the old paint stocks. Sssssoooooooo :whistle:  while this subject has been discussed at various times in many ways and I've read through much of it and do take Nick Millman's well researched opinions seriously, however I think the discussion is a bit dated as newer products have come to market.  At the moment I'm trying to decide on whether to buy a boxed set, and if so, whose, or if I'd be better of picking different colors from different manufacturers. So far I've acquired Lifecolor Sky and dark green, which I understand are reasonable matches, so I'm curious how their line stacks up, and how well the others, such as AK interactive and Hataka's line fare. 

Hi, nsmekanik,

I have for long gone with Xtracolour, and have always felt satisfied. Nowadays, I use acrylics whenever possible, and Xtracrylixs are very user-friendly, but the actual colours are not so good. They remain my paints of choice, though.

Fernando

While it's always desirable to be as "accurate" as possible and refer to original sources if you can, it's also worth remembering that wartime  shortages of materials resulted in variations of colour between batches of the "same" colours. I also use Xtracrylics, largely because they airbrush well especially if thinned with their own thinner.

Sovereign Hobbies' Colourcoats line of paints have been getting good reviews. I have not had the chance to use them(I'm the land to your south); but, Jamie Duff is committed to producing paints that go down well, and, which match the standards(BSC, RAL, FS, etc.) set by the various forces, and countries. He bought the line, and, rights from White Ensign Models when they went OOB. You will have to go to Sov. Hobbies website to see if there is a Canadian importer.

HTH

Joe

7 hours ago, Fernando said:

Hi, nsmekanik,

I have for long gone with Xtracolour, and have always felt satisfied. Nowadays, I use acrylics whenever possible, and Xtracrylixs are very user-friendly, but the actual colours are not so good. They remain my paints of choice, though.

Fernando

Can be inclined to agree for non RAF colours they may not be, but for RAF colours they very much accurate

14 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Can be inclined to agree for non RAF colours they may not be, but for RAF colours they very much accurate

There's quite a difference between the Xtracrylics Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green compared to Xtracolor, which like ours matches the RAF Museum chips very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

There's quite a difference between the Xtracrylics Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green compared to Xtracolor, which like ours matches the RAF Museum chips very well.

actually yeah I agree on MSG, not blue enough. Not quite sure why I'm still persisting with it when I can tells its wrong. Though dark green looks good to me, surprised it doesn't match the RAFM chips.. oh well I like em,  and will be using them until the day a certain paint supplier decides to get into the arylic game....

36 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Don't know what Lifecolor' dark green is like at the moment, in the past it wasn't particularly accurate as lacked the olive cast of the proper paint.

Their dark earth is IMHO much better, the Azure is not too bad either (a bit too dark but can be sorted)

was last year, but the pot I got is well wrong, to light and as you say non olive. Yet to find a use for it. 

33 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

was last year, but the pot I got is well wrong, to light and as you say non olive. Yet to find a use for it. 

Sounds like they hadn't changed it then. Their FS 34079 (UA091) is IMHO a better choice for Dark Green, not 100% right but in the ballpark

16 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Have you ever thought of doing up a line of Acrylics? I do have a stock of the Old WEM Luftwaffe and the now unfortunately discredited  VVS line piants. Alternatively PM Hobbycraft I know does import some enamels, such as Humbrol and ModelMaster, so maybe? It's unfortunate the way things have gone.......

I do have some of the Humbrol colors, but I have not had the best of luck in spraying them, and I am trying to go the acrylic route whenever possible.