SOVIET BATTLE HORSE-T34/76 MOD 1943-ZVEZDA 1/35

FrancisGL

Hi Pals,

today I would like to share with everyone, this model in the WIP section, instead of the RIP, although it is already finished.

The reason for this is that it was one of the first ones I did, when I resumed my hobby after many years, and I was not yet a member of the forum, and did not even notice, that I could document the assembly, or share the result afterwards ...

Although not bad, IMHO, if we consider that it may be the 4th or 5th model that after about 20 years without touching the hobby, still did not have many resources or utilities of new generation, and new techniques, was still discovering them.

The kit, is a ZVEZDA, and should really be an Oldie, because if at the time (about 15 years) that "sleep" in a closet, you add what probably had been packaged since its manufacture ...

It was made of light gray plastic, and since most of the kits I had kept, the halves of the hull, were somewhat crooked, so I had a hard time straightening them and keeping them aligned.

Some pieces were also broken in the process, although I could fix them.

What really annoyed me, is that at the time of making the cannon, were all the pieces, except the cannon, damn ...

In that moment of beginning of the hobby, the metal cannons for me were an unknown totals, besides being very difficult to obtain.

It occurred to me how to fix it with the means at my disposal, namely, in the box of spare parts, I had a 76mm gun of the Sherman of Italeri, already mounted and kept "centuries" of a kit become pieces.

Since there was a staple where the missing piece had to be, there was a perfect gap between one end and the other, so I just had to cut the Sherman's cannon "tailor-made" and adjust it.

I modestly believe that the result was good, feet their measurements I checked them by doing scale conversion calculations.

The point that certainly was, and is not the last time that happened to me (ISU-152 same case), are the tracks that brought the kit, extremely little detailed and with a very rigid and unnatural plastic.

With this issue, the same as with the metal cannons, Friuls or similar ... What is that ?? ... lol.

As always, I tried to do my best with what I had.

As for weathering, similar, I had some new products (pigments, and enamels), but very few and not knowing how to use them properly ... test-error.

I remember trying to make a modulated painting, leaving the base color much clearer at the end, but I liked it as it was.

Basically, the final result, made me continue the hobby, and did not think about discarding the kit, which served me well to train with the new in the world of modeling.

Now, after about 2 years built, I decided to try to improve it, because all the handicaps mentioned above, I have been solving with the passage of time.

My idea is to put a new "slippers", metallic drag cables (what brings, I think they are pore of scale, very thick?), And a more aggressive and real weathering.

With that I think I will win this modest kit a lot.

Here below I leave a few pics, as it was finished at the time.

1mrxxgH.jpg

JVNuLly.jpg

BrvsQY5.jpg

GnCMMsF.jpg

tUSZhnZ.jpg

jLK3Umb.jpg

You can easily see in some pics, the roughness of the tracks ...:hanging:

Next week, next update (i hope...), as always, thanks for watching and commenting :bye:

• Like 12

On 24/9/2017 at 21:53, Etienne said:

Hello Francis,

it's a very nice build already but I have to admit that the tracks and tow cables are ugly ... let's see the improved ones ;)

E

You are right, to be a kit so old, for example, the welding of the turret, it is not treated, it came like this in the mold, very real IMHO,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad you like it, cheers Etienne :yes:

On 25/9/2017 at 09:20, Bullbasket said:

Lovely build Francis, and I have to agree with Etienne regarding the tracks and tow cables. Change those and you'll have a winner.

John.

Many thanks for your kind comments John, you are very considerate, I would like to have a winner someday ...:rage:

Cheers mate :yes:

Hi Francis,

Your 'bad old model' looks better than my best!

Seeing how you've managed to improve a few of your previous 'bad old models' though, I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this one!

Following,

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Thanks 1

On 27/9/2017 at 20:48, Blaubar said:

Francis,

without your lenghty report, none of this would have been noticed by my eyes. Looks sooo good!

Prost

Thank you very much for your interest and kind comments, I'm glad you like it.
I thought that not having been documenting the assembly and painting of the model (for what I said before), an approximate way to do it, was a report of the most significant (and that I remembered ... lol).

Cheers Blaubar :yes:

On 28/9/2017 at 15:22, Kris B said:

I agree with lads - tracks and tow cables in the bin, get a new ones and will be lovely model. It is worth doing it because the rest of it is very good. 

Many thanks for your kind comments Kris, i´m glad you like it, already have (tracks and cables) an appropriate space reserved in the bin, not even a spare box ... lol

Cheers Kris :yes:

On 28/9/2017 at 22:27, Badder said:

Hi Francis,

Your 'bad old model' looks better than my best!

Seeing how you've managed to improve a few of your previous 'bad old models' though, I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this one!

Following,

Rearguards,

Badder

Many thanks as usual, for your kind comments an interest, but do not underestimate yourself, friend, your skills for dioramas, the summun of modeling, IMO, far surpass mine.

Cheers Badder :yes:

• Like 1

Update 02

Hi Pals, today I received the tracks, and the cables. In this case the only
tracks that I have been able to get, are not metal, but of plastic, although
they are link to link.

Anyway, the drawing and detailed is well above those provided by the kit
originally.

As you can see in the box, they are of the type for the 1941 model, and mine is
1943, but I would bet they were used for the mod1943 also, as I have seen models
of T34, with wheels of different mixed versions, and even with some less ...

They are also the first of this type that I'm going to assemble to the end (I
hope), and they seem more complicated than metal.

In addition, its fragility, is a handicap for me, although fortunately, appear
to come enough spare parts ...

The cables are of the brand Eureka XXL, the set that has for T34s to 1/35, and
that look very good.

During the weekend and next days, I will dedicate myself to the "beautiful and
not at all monotonous" work of assembling one by one, the links of the tracks.

So, sorry, I can not show progress in the upgrade :confused:, although an update is
promised as soon as possible.

bGvXNkK.jpg

p06Gz6o.jpg

Thanks for watch and comment, cheers mates :D

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 6

Hi Francis, what a nice hobby this is when you can go back on a model you have done and say I can do better after learning different techniques, will be watching your changes to an already brilliant model :like:

Regards

Richard 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/9/2017 at 10:57, Gremlin56 said:

The tracks will be a big improvement and the cables look great, just need your weathering magic Francis ;)

Many thanks for your for your trust in my modest abilities, cheers Julian :yes:

On 1/10/2017 at 04:41, Ripaman said:

Hi Francis, what a nice hobby this is when you can go back on a model you have done and say I can do better after learning different techniques, will be watching your changes to an already brilliant model :like:

Regards

Richard 

Many thanks for your kind comments, i´m glad you like it, :D

The truth is that it takes a "mental" effort to retake a model already finished, and that like this concretely, is about two years ...
On the one hand, the eagerness to see as it is, no longer exists, and there is the real possibility of spoiling it, instead of improving it, but on the other, there is a persistent attraction to think that you can do better.

In this case, I could not "resist" ... lol

Cheers Ripaman :yes:

Update 03:

Hi Pals, as promised, some progress in the assembly. I finished a complete track, not without much effort, because perhaps being the first of this type that I am, was "a little green".

This set has pieces with tiny pins, which are inserted on the sides of each link, once assembled to the next one, but, the lateral micro-holes of these links, are very fragile IMO, and tend to be broken by half, the slightest effort above what should be ...:rage:

Fortunately, there are enough spare parts for backup, as I have had to discard a handful of damaged parts. I have not thrown them for now, maybe I need them ... gulp.

In the photos, you can see the kit with a set of new, and the opposite, the original.
Clearly, although not the same type, there is an abysmal difference between them ...
They are not 100% to my liking, but I am quite satisfied with the result, I think it is worth the change. I imagine that when they are painted and with their weathering, they look even better.

I have also decided to cut / remove the front fenders, for a better view of the new (and best..lol) tracks.

Also, already put into task, I have polished the Zvezda brand from the lower part of the hull ... which looked like a general tonic in the old kits ...

I have detached some piece in the process, but nothing that can not be fixed.

I continue with the assembly of the second, I hope to have improved in its assembly, and to have if I take less.

As always, thanks for watch and comment, cheers mates :D

QfddzVz.jpg

2euylQi.jpg

isac3FP.jpg

QDgQj7t.jpg

3eIvryq.jpg

r5QhgNy.jpg

LEziyJX.jpg

• Like 1