1/72 - Bristol 175 Britannia by Mach2 - released - Air Graphics sets + Canadair CP-107 Argus, CC-106 Yukon & CL-44 conv. sets by AiM

Homebee

8 hours ago, Radleigh said:

I've spoke with Didier some time ago, and he won't do a Andover as S&M Models brought one out and he don't want to step on any toes, so I assume now they have a Hastings out, it'll be the same for that.

So maybe Beverley next... Belfast is out the question, trust me I've asked loads. Will have to battle my Magna one, one day.

Still if someone's bought the Magna moulds as per Neil Gaunt's thread maybe the Beverley & Belfast will be back.

5 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Not sure about FAA and  Brit windows but  Northeast got a US Reg even though they cancelled later.. The Canadair Yukon/ CL44-D6 (also built under license ) had Brit windows and they ended up on the civvy market.

They're not CV-880/990 windows either. Its one of those folklore things that have done the rounds for years.  If you look they aren't the same but the shape of some are similar. The front center is tapered, thin at  the top, CVs are rectangles.

CV-990

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Convair_CV-990-30A-6,_American_Airlines_JP6850262.jpg

CL44...Conroy Sky Monster

http://www.oldprops.ukhome.net/Canadair CL44.htm

CL44-D4 In BOAC service ! Leased from Seaboard World in the early/mid 60s, saw it a few times.

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/364411-boac-canadair-cl-44-a.html

CL44-D6 Yukon

https://barrieaircraft.com/photo/canadair-cl-44-yukon-01.html

http://www.airpowerworld.info/transport-aircraft/bristol-britannia.htm

Re the CL44 nose. A close look at comparison photos suggests to me the Britannia nose is structurally identical - same roof and curving nose, but the glass panels of the CL44 are deeper that the Britannia and go to that bottom of that weird lip at the base of the Britannia cockpit windows. So the point at which the nose starts to curve down is the same in both cases. Also the individual panels are wider with less framing.

That relatively minor modification would have solved the visibility issue and also create a more modern look. There was a noticeable tendency for British aircraft of the forties/fifties to have smaller cockpit transparencies or complex framing - consider the early Typhoon, Meteor, Vampire, FD2, Canberra/B-57, and even Vulcan with its cockpit portholes. Although Atomic bomb flash was probably the reason for the latter. But a bubble canopy Vulcan would have been cool!       

1 hour ago, Ian Hunter said:

that weird lip

Yes..That slope that ends at the nose is actually the pressure bulkhead that  curves almost round ,Not much thought went in to the nose design and without the nose it would look a bit like the Convair CV-39 Liberator-Liner.. Catchy name ! The Illyushin IL-18 has the same thing. Under the roof skin the structure is different, the window frame lines continue up to the crown like spokes on a wheel so fewer frames mean less "spokes" A much better look and for the crew to see out!

Britannia "see through" nose

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1964/1964 - 2924.html

The really good looking Liberator -Liner. It never made it but I have a postcard of American Overseas Airlines CV-39.

cv39-04.jpg

Edited by bzn20

16 minutes ago, Ian Hunter said:

Going way off topic but I also like the TU 70/75 transport version of the B-29  

In 1/144th: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235024632-1144-tupolev-tu-70-cart-resin-kit-by-awm-aviation-models-released/

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

On 08/11/2017 at 5:01 PM, bzn20 said:

Not sure about FAA and  Brit windows but  Northeast got a US Reg even though they cancelled later.. The Canadair Yukon/ CL44-D6 (also built under license ) had Brit windows and they ended up on the civvy market.

They're not CV-880/990 windows either. Its one of those folklore things that have done the rounds for years.  If you look they aren't the same but the shape of some are similar. The front center is tapered, thin at  the top, CVs are rectangles.

I stand corrected! It was a very long time ago I heard/read it.:oops:

Richard

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, slufdriver said:

I heard/read it

Easy mistake and Rumour controlled... I heard it years ago, before the internet.. Looking at them, I can see why the story spread. Loads of others like.. KC-135 is a 707 and built using the same jigs . Pontius wasn't really a pilot etc.

Not to go off much or steal from here, but here's a link to the thread I just made about my Argus. Since the similarities are there, I thought I'd link it here. 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029208-172-canadair-cp-107-argus/

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2017 at 9:08 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Looks OK in the flesh, but at 60 squids, I passed this time.

Likewise!😥. Even if it IS a Mach 2 kit, this is one I would have been willing to fight!😁. Thing is, even if a mainstream company produced one I doubt if it would have sold for much less😥

Allan

On 21/11/2017 at 04:31, Albeback52 said:

Likewise!😥. Even if it IS a Mach 2 kit, this is one I would have been willing to fight!😁. Thing is, even if a mainstream company produced one I doubt if it would have sold for much less😥

Allan

My view is 60 spondo’s is pretty good VfM for a kit of this size and limited market appeal.

Thomo.

• Like 2

Going to collect mine soon. Will try and put some sprue shots up. I was looking at the Brit at Cosford before SMW and the nose shape was not quite what I thought. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/11/2017 at 10:28 AM, Radleigh said:

ISo maybe Beverley next... Belfast is out the question, trust me I've asked loads. Will have to battle my Magna one, one day.

Belfast is out of the question, eh? I've got a little known fact for you here.....the Belfast used Britannnia wing and tail surfaces virtually unchanged! I think the engine positions were moved outboard a little, but, hey, we can hope someone at Mach2 is researching this right maintenant!

Just to fly another kite here.....the Argosy used Shackleton wings modified. How about an Avro Tudor from Mach2!?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alancmlaird said:

Belfast is out of the question, eh? I've got a little known fact for you here.....the Belfast used Britannnia wing and tail surfaces virtually unchanged! I think the engine positions were moved outboard a little, but, hey, we can hope someone at Mach2 is researching this right maintenant!

Just to fly another kite here.....the Argosy used Shackleton wings modified. How about an Avro Tudor from Mach2!?

As far as I know, only one guy at Mach2, Didier. He also said at Telford, "No Belfast"... I actually over heard him talking to a guy who asked about it, and he said the same he did to me, it's just too big for his machine. So it's never going to be produced by Mach2... sadly. 

1 minute ago, Radleigh said:

As far as I know, only one guy at Mach2, Didier. He also said at Telford, "No Belfast"... I actually over heard him talking to a guy who asked about it, and he said the same he did to me, it's just too big for his machine. So it's never going to be produced by Mach2... sadly. 

2 part fuselage?

14 hours ago, Radleigh said:

the Belfast used Britannnia wing and tail surfaces virtually unchanged!

Indeed - it actually started life being called the Shorts PD-18 'Britannic'.

In a Michael Caine voice.........Not a lot of people know that

Ken

PS - It shouldn't be too difficult to knock up a Belfast - using Mach2 Britannia flying surfaces mated to an Amodel Il-76 fuselage - and a few rolls of Milliput.

Should be a doddle for a man of you calibre Radders.........:whistle:

Edited by Flankerman

As promised some sprue shots etc. they were taken on my camera phone and so might not be the best, but  they give some idea of what you get. The kit comes in a large shallow cardboard box that just about fulfills it function, but would need a bit of help to withstand the tender caresses of a mail order carrier. The plastic is quite hard and a creamy white and the parts have noticeable mould lines, but there is little flash You will need a good pair of side cutters as there are dozens of  ejector towers, you can see them on the tailplane halves in one of the photos, I suspect Dider was worrier about the size of some of the parts and whether they would come out the mould cleanly. All trailing edges will require attention and the props come as a two part hub with separate blades. The wheels are in halves and have reasonable hub detail if a little soft in places. Surface detail is restrained and the cargo door is marked by a thin raised line that will require scribing around interior is limited a cockpit with the basics. The clear parts look brittle and will need to be treated to make them more transparent. Cabin windows are designed to fit the openings with no lips etc. Decals are so-so, but look usable. The instructions are sparse, but give clear details about which windows need to be blanked off. Not a kit for the inexperienced or faint hearted, but will look imposing. I have not made my mind up about the front end yet, looking at the Brit at Cosford it is quite a subtle shape. Hope this helps

Brit 1Brit 2Brit 3Brit 5Brit 6brit 8

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1