RAF Stuka, New-Tool Airfix 1/48

mumbles

New tool Airfix 1/48 Stuka B-1 finished as an Italian R-2 captured/stolen by the RAF in 1941. The B-2/R-2 propellor, exhausts, and bomb rack are all in the B-1 box. The B-2 engine cowls though are not, which is why they aren't on the model :)

The guns were removed from the captured aircraft, so the wing gun fairings were drilled out to remove the barrels, and the mount and ammunition cans left out of the rear cockpit. Decals by LF Models (which turned out to be a little too thin, I'd probably paint the white cross on the tail if I did this again), and some of the more prominent piping added to the engine with solder. 

The kit is mostly brilliantly engineered (there are poorly placed sprue gates and ejector pin marks in a couple of places, and a few sink marks) and is one of the best fitting kits I've ever built. There are a couple of missing instructions though. There is no instruction to add the rear gunners back support strap despite it being included as a part and shown fitted, and there is no guidance at all on fitting the bomb cradle with the cowls off. Aside from those minor criticisms it was a really enjoyable build.

37243851622_f1d52df089_b.jpg

36603454013_06e3a4e74d_b.jpg

37273084161_20bd440936_b.jpg

37273084511_b934a2b8f2_b.jpg

37273085321_abdfd03299_b.jpg

37273083411_7bf746a074_b.jpg

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 1

Thank you :)

Here is a pic of the original machine just to prove I'm not making it up ;) .When I say "stolen" in the OP it's because it wasn't captured so much as deliberately appropriated. Apparently it was spotted on the ground in no-mans land by 73 Sqn RAF (Hurricanes) pilots after force landing due to fuel starvation. Having ascertained it was unattended they loaded a truck with fuel and went out and acquired themselves a Stuka.

37415498635_68c6af9426_o.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mumbles said:

Thank you :)

Here is a pic of the original machine just to prove I'm not making it up ;) .When I say "stolen" in the OP it's because it wasn't captured so much as deliberately appropriated. Apparently it was spotted on the ground in no-mans land by 73 Sqn RAF (Hurricanes) pilots after force landing due to fuel starvation. Having ascertained it was unattended they loaded a truck with fuel and went out and acquired themselves a Stuka.

37415498635_68c6af9426_o.jpg

In that case it was `borrowed' or `proffed'!!  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tonyot said:

In that case it was `borrowed' or `proffed'!!  

Reminds me of a slightly under-equipped NZ Army unit in Vietnam that was supposely nicknamed "the hydraulics", because they would 'lift' anything they could :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mumbles said:

Reminds me of a slightly under-equipped NZ Army unit in Vietnam that was supposely nicknamed "the hydraulics", because they would 'lift' anything they could :)

You are a poor squaddie if you cannot `acquire' enough kit to make you comfortable, by hook or by crook and `gizzits' are never ignored!

Have you seen the 601 Sqn Ju-87D,.....that is a nice `later' Stuka too, with its yellow undersides;

Image result for stuka 601 sqn

Image result for stuka 601 sqn

Keep up the great work,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mmarchal said:

nice photographs Sam. Something a bit different, I like it.

Thanks Marc. Note that while the aerial wire is fixed in these pics, if you look closely you can see where I reattached the forward part of the pitot tube after breaking it during the photo shoot . . . :)

27 minutes ago, tonyot said:

You are a poor squaddie if you cannot `acquire' enough kit to make you comfortable, by hook or by crook and `gizzits' are never ignored!

Have you seen the 601 Sqn Ju-87D,.....that is a nice `later' Stuka too, with its yellow undersides;

Keep up the great work,

Cheers

Tony 

Yes, I came across it a few times while researching this build.

Thanks, I'm not the most prolific builder but I'll do my best :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Lovely work  Sam, and an eye catching scheme. I'm slowly nailing on together and so far only the rear bulkhead has caused any issues. Have you any further advice?

I found not having the "bin" (for empty ammunition magazines?) installed at the rear of the cockpit enabled it to flex a bit more. It was a snug fit but eventually it popped into place more or less (meaning I'm not totally sure of how I sorted it!).

Edited by mumbles

12 minutes ago, mumbles said:

I found not having the "bin" (for empty ammunition magazines?) installed at the rear of the cockpit enabled it to flex a bit more. It was a snug fit but eventually it popped into place more or less (meaning I'm not totally sure of how I sorted it!).

:P. I sanded until it fitted, not at all scientific

Andy