Relaxing holiday build:- hunting Percival jet provost T. 4

S5 modeller

Howdy chaps. 

A tradition, me and the good wife, started a year or so ago was to take an airfix starter set on holiday with us. 

This year we have just arrived at flamborough, for a week, and we have both decided to build the recent airfix jet provost..... 

2017-09-23_11-37-57

My wife is only a beginner at this game, but she does like to have a go too. 

This will be a log of my own build, as she doesn't fancy having her work put on here. 

It will be totally oob, using only the supplied brushes and paints, with the exception of tamiya extra thin glue being used. 

So far, in a couple of hours I've assembled most of the cockpit. 

2017-09-23_11-36-422017-09-23_11-36-42

I've decided not to use the two pilot figures as they are possibly the worst part of what is a beautifully molded kit. 

I cut the fuselage halves of the sprues to test fit it. 

2017-09-23_11-31-352017-09-23_11-32-03

A dry fitting session shows it fits nice and snug. Everything lines up perfectly. 

2017-09-23_11-26-23

I also dry fitted the lower wing section, and that too fits well. In line with the newest output of airfix, test fitting is paramount, as everything has tight tolerances. The front section, just behind the nose wheel well, was a bit tight and needed a bit of sanding to get a snug fit. 

2017-09-23_11-31-07

The area around the intakes fits neatly too. 

Next up is to paint the cockpit, and fit the instrument panel. 

More updates to follow, but they might be a bit sporadic, as we are on holiday. 

Matt. 

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure that I got some sort of mutant kit. It just looks... weird. Never mind, yours seems to be going well, and the Missus approves of you doing it. Sounds like a win! (Do try to tempt her to share how she's going, she won't be the only modelling SWMBO on BM.)

• Like 1

Got some more work done on this nice little kit. 

2017-09-26_05-42-422017-09-26_05-43-092017-09-26_05-43-24

Cockpit finished, black on black, with a slightly oversized instrument decal. I'm pretty sure there was more colours inside, but as this is what airfix supplied, then this is what you get. 

2017-09-26_06-09-53

Whilst on a day trip into briddlington today, found these washers in a cheap shop, inexpensive nose weights. 

2017-09-26_05-44-40

Managed to get 6, in a roll of tape, to fit inside the nose. Hope it's enough. 

2017-09-26_05-44-402017-09-26_06-00-302017-09-26_06-00-18

Here's how it looks, ready to be glued up. 

Next step, close the fuselage. 

Matt

• Like 3

Afternoon chaps. 

Got a bit carried away. Only intended to fit the Cockpit and nose weight in the fuselage, and next think I knew I had a complete airframe. 

2017-09-28_12-06-162017-09-28_12-06-162017-09-28_12-06-532017-09-28_12-07-142017-09-28_12-07-43

Just a to start the sanding process now. 

For some strange reason Flickr has decided to duplicate one of the images. 

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 2

Looks good so far, the weather looks good as well today, it was horrid in Flamborough over the weekend. Don't forget to have a good look in the Boyes stores in both Scarborough and Brid, the kit selection is not sparkling but they always have a good selection of tools and paints. Croppers on Landsdowne Road in Brid is always worth a look but not the Aladdins cave it was a few years ago.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, it is just a bit of fun at the moment, good for passing the spare time between outings and the pub. 

The weather has been good all week, so far, it did rain last night but the temperature today is nudging 20 degrees. 

Popped into croppers models Tuesday, and picked up a kit. Boyes in briddlington only had 3 or 4 hobby boss kits on the shelf, but had a fair selection of war hammer kits. 

• Like 1

Using on of pound lands finest nail sponges to finish the sanding. 

2017-09-28_03-48-59

They come with it 4 sides. :-

Side 1 file. 

Side 2 remove ridges. 

Side 3 buff

Side 4 polish and shine. 

Can't recommend them enough. When used in the correct order they remove any sanding marks, and impart a lovely shine onto the plastic. So Shiney, you can get a nice reflection. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silver Fox said:

There's always P & S on Castle Street Scarborough and the woolshop in Filey to happen across if you get bored. Good find at Croppers.

I'm going back tomorrow, as they have 2 round 2, mpc space -1999 "alien" moonbuggy kits, and an mpc roswell alien ship for sale.  Other are appealing to my darker side. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

And what is the beer for?

The beer is actually 

2017-09-28_04-16-28

Helping me cope with the sunshine and high temperatures here at the moment. 

Couldn't have asked for nicer weather this week. Plus it's keeping the 2 pints of Guinness company I had with my dinner. 

• Like 4

Evening chaps. 

Got all the seams sanded and polished the best I could. Ready for a coat of red. 

Things have now gone a bit pear shaped. 

I opened the little pot of red number 19,gave it a good stir. I added a few drops of washing up liquid, as I find it works as a great flow improver, and proceeded to start painting. This is where it all went a bit Pete tong. The paint didn't want to cover the plastic. It started to pool together as if the surface tension couldn't be broken. Tried my best to spread it around. After a few hours drying time, I tried a second coat. 

2017-09-29_03-10-26

This is how it looks now. After 12 hours drying the paint is still taky. Don't know if I can save it now. I'm back at home now, and think I might try over painting it with humbrol enamel red, see how that goes. Can't see it making it any worse. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Ouch, that's a bit yucky. I have no solution for you other than a suggestion to strip the paint with IPA, then repaint with the jam of your choice.

My Humbrol acrylic stayed tacky too, but I thought that it may have been the thinner that I'd used. Obviously not.

Sad, it was going so well for you too.

• Like 1

That's awful, how Humbrol have the nerve to peddle that stuff is beyond me!! All you can do is to strip the "paint" and re-spray the model with something less like the coloured snot that Humbrol try and pass off as acrylic paint.

Disgusted of Mars

• Like 1

P my man, the words "Humbrol" and "relaxing" are never destined to be in the same topic...on a more useful note, perhaps, I have an acquaintance who contracts lot like me and his awayday builds are usually done with Halfords primer and the nearest paint match from their automotive range, he turned me on the the Cangun device that lets you control the jetblast from the aerosols much more effectively. It sounds ludicrous but I have sat in the beer garden of a Premier Inn while he primed an Airfix Swift, then blutacked and did the camo while I quaffed a pint or three of Directors, laughing hysterically (maybe the fumes were getting to me). The staff were initially bemused but pointed out as long as he stayed away from the other customers and did disturb them/or spray in their direction they couldn't  think of any reason why he shouldn't! I think you wouldnt have that problem, you appear to be secluded BTW he uses the Eduard/Montex/Peewit et al masks hence no canopy fiddling.

Sadly the nearest I get to mobile hobbying is to take my Steinberger knockoff travel guitar and shred like a loony seeing as my Jazz buddies cant see or hear me.

hohnerg3t.jpg

A

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since I looked at this build. Partly due to the paint disaster. 

I took @Rob G's advice and broke out my ipa. After an hour, plenty of paper towels and cotton buds, I ended up with this...

2017-10-06_04-50-012017-10-06_04-50-24

Most of the paint removed. You might notice the absence of landing gear. I fully intended to reinstate the gear, but sadly one got lost, so wheels up it's going to be. 

Just need to fit the closed gear doors, but will need to sand them off of the nose wheel bay, as this had the gear molded in place and the closed doors are a separate insert. 

2017-10-06_04-50-37

I'm going to use this wide brush, in the hope that it will leave a smooth surface when brush painting. 

2017-10-06_04-50-48

Might need to invest in a new tin of humbrol no. 19, as mine has seen better days. 

Onwards and upwards. 

Matt

• Like 1