Skybirds86 Hornets

Ngr172

I have been wanting one of these kits for a long time and just got a deal I couldn't resist on ebay ($45 shipped for all three). What did I get myself into as far as building these kits. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks in advance 

You got a great bargain there !

I built the NF Mk.21 version when it first came out.

It is a well engineered limited run type kit and needs some 'modelling' (as opposed to just fitting)  The metal parts are very very nice.

Mike Eacock,who sadly died a few years back,was ahead of his time with the Skybirds range.

That old model got broken in a house move and the metal parts are being re-cycled into a Special Hobby one

• Like 1

I've an NF.21 & F.3 versions, still awaiting attention alas. As Scimitar has said & from comments I've seen on modelling forums, they go together alright & look the part but the rear fuselage is supposedly about 1/8" too short, something to do with the plans of the day, having said that, the ones I've seen built looked fine to my eye & OOB is as I'll be building mine pretty much.

Steve.

Thanks very much for the input. They are hard to come by in North Carolina so I really got lucky. I have the Special Hobby F-1 and F-3 but I was pretty disappointed with the canopies and have not built them. The canopies in the Skybirds kits appear to have yellowed pretty badly. Is there a source for replacement. 

21 hours ago, Ngr172 said:

just got a deal I couldn't resist on ebay ($45 shipped for all three). 

You absolute :swear:, that's fantastic! I've recently started looking for an F.20 but all eBay has is NF.21s. I can't offer any advice but I am excited to see your progress on each build.

Perhaps Falcon or another firm makes vac replacement canopies?

I built the Sea Hornet F20 about 25 years ago. As others have commented, they are engineered a bit differently to most kits and the plastic is quite hard, but it looked good when finished.  I recently built the Prentice and you really do need to follow the instructions as printed. I still have a Scimitar  unbuilt somewhere and the remains of the MB5

• Like 1

My NF21 is here.......

A very nice kit but the windscreen shape, presumably taken from the inaccurate drawings that keep getting recycled (last time on the poster in the July Aeroplane) is wrong with an upswept base.  The line drawing on the box of the single seaters shows it correctly!  If you can live with that, or correct it, the results are fine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bryanm said:

My NF21 is here.......

A very nice kit but the windscreen shape, presumably taken from the inaccurate drawings that keep getting recycled (last time on the poster in the July Aeroplane) is wrong with an upswept base.  The line drawing on the box of the single seaters shows it correctly!  If you can live with that, or correct it, the results are fine.

Wasn't that the main complaint about Trumpeter's 1/48 Hornet series? That they used the same drawings, thus getting the same errors at the windscreen base?

• Like 1

I've built the Scimitar and the Hornet NF . More challenging than conventional injection styrene kits, but highly detailed models that makes effective use of P/E and cast metal parts. As noted, the canopies are the weakest part of the kit. Mine have yellowed, and there are no aftermarket replacements. I would suggest finding alternative decals.

As far as accuracy, at the time of issue, they were representative of accepted standards, but some quibbles have since been voiced (see previous comments). I believe the canopy of the Hornets to be the most disputed area.

Certainly worth building, but some modelling skill required.