Italeri 1:72 Su-34 Fullback +++FINISHED+++

Jasonb13

Hi all...

Really looking forward to this GB. I've had this kit nearly a year, got it at a Kitswap. I've read decent enough things about it, and this GB is ideal for it (though I did have to check that the Su-34 Fullback is ok for a Flanker GB!).

Anyhow, here's the box and the runners:

df66fb0c-a93d-40e9-a655-66f44ddcfa44.jpg

8fa09c44-4c4f-4971-a86a-9df68a5bf8ce.jpg

d5622325-7421-429e-a887-a1b93db7ba5c.jpg

02562fcb-2ead-48d7-8946-268ec6584ba7.jpg

As you can see, a lot of the plastic is for the ordinance, and I reckon I'll be building it fairly well loaded. I was originally going to do one of the box schemes (three tone camo) but after recently doing a 4 tone blue Su-25TM, I've decided to keep this one a little simpler and do the newer Eggplant Dark Grey over Light Blue.

I still need to order the paint (I'm going to try Mr. Paint for the Eggplant Dark Grey as I've heard good things about it) and I also need to order some Decals. Am leaning towards a sheet I saw of Su-34s in Syria, with the Red Stars on the tails overpainted, but I'm also not sure how I feel about building a specific scheme that's been in the news so recently. Will have to see how my moral compass feels about it!

Anyhow, I'm planning to start this as close to the start date as possible, and it'll be built completely OOB, as I just don't have the skills to start scratch building stuff. So I'm afraid your Flanker purists out there will have to put up with the Kit's (and my) mistakes, as they won't be getting corrected!

More pics once the start date is upon us! :)

• Like 2

So, work on this build starts here:

6ece9c43-f367-4e37-9efe-6c0d4557e90d.jpg

A little un-orthodox, but a fellow modeller I know here in Ireland told me that he always starts his builds with the 'bits', like ordinance, undercarriage etc. He reckons it stops him rushing those bits near the end of the build. And I have to say, I've definitely been guilty of doing that, so I thought I'd take his good advice on-board. So I'll get the ordinance and undercarriage done before I go near the cockpit!

Some sink marks to clean up and seam lines etc. as well before I put paint near these...

• Like 3

No new pics to share I'm afraid, and not much progress made either; life has conspired to keep me away from the bench this last week.

However, the Mr. Paint 'Eggplant' Dark Grey has arrived (and boy does it smell!) and I've just ordered the Decals, so I am getting there!

Will hopefully have progress on the ordinance soon, am at the sanding stage (when am I not?!) :)

• Like 1

Just to show that I am making some slow progress, though really this should be two days' work, not two weeks'!

Anyhow, here's the Ordinance now, with the white ones painted, the black ones will be done when I prime the airframe:

39083d77-174e-447e-b3be-aa8a2a6ada6c.jpg

I've also started tidying up the undercarriage, some small sink marks need to be filled:

2bfc0029-e0f8-43ae-baa3-4eeca85aec89.jpg

Once I get them cleaned up, I'll get them painted, and then it's off to the cockpit.

Thanks...

• Like 1

Cockpit is done and ready to be glued in to the fuselage. It's not great, but it'll do for 1:72, especially as the canopy won't be open. The seatbelts are just Tamiya tape:

f2c19887-fe63-4074-a7b9-52a666d1871b.jpg

e7d9b8d1-95bf-4c7a-b78a-ae0401e0c80d.jpg

Once the cockpit is glued in and dry, I can look at gluing the top and bottom fuselage halves together. Hoping to get a couple of evenings at this over the next week, so some progress should be made!

• Like 2

A couple more pics! Firstly, the cockpit in now in place, here it is in the upper fuselage:

348111a7-0937-4c9b-a0db-f77087e229bf.jpg

And then I did a dry-fit of the airframe to check the CoG, and it shows how big this is in 1:72. Remember, it's on an A3 cutting mat:

ee5714b1-719b-4654-ad92-8eb7fefeacf9.jpg

Such a beautiful aircraft I think, and I love the flattened nose, it reminds me of the Blackbird. Thankfully, that long nose and the wheels being so far back in the airframe means it's nose heavy, even with the stinger, so no weight is needed. I've started gluing the fuselage halves together now...

• Like 3

Another little bit done, the start of a lot of filling and sanding I reckon!

b06e9158-3e19-4e0b-a4b0-b3b68e5cb84e.jpg

Got the undercarriage tidied up a bit too and all done. Hoping to get the wings on next/tails on next, and also mask the canopy.

• Like 1

So, a quick question, does anyone know what colour paint should be inside the intakes? I don't mean the entrance of the intake, which will be the same colour as the underside, I mean further in. I'm struggling to find pictures that don't have Intake covers on them.

Thanks...

Actually, scratch that question. I found a pic that I'm fairly certain is of the intake of a Su-34, and it shows the underside colour going quite the way in. Considering there's no detail in the intakes of this kit, not even a compressor fan, I'm just going to paint the inside of it black and then put the underside colour in a good way, it'll do the job...

Another little bit done...

7e038915-4a9a-47f9-af69-8dc3e4553a1a.jpg

1f32e664-2cfe-46f6-816d-f896d6efed2b.jpg

I think I can get away with leaving the horizontal stabilisers and canards off until after painting, but there's still a lot of filling/sanding to do. Just look at the trenches under the wings, running alongside the wheel wells!

Still have to get to the canopy as well...

• Like 1

Always nice to see someone building out of the box, and this looks like a cracking build so far. You're a bit hard on yourself, I think - I wish I could do cockpit detail like that at 1/72! I also think doing the ordnance and undercarriage first is an interesting idea. As Valkyrie said, I like the thought of knowing you've already got all that faffage done when you come to finish off the aircraft itself. I look forward to watching this one develop. :popcorn:

Edited by CurrantBunbury
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot CurrantBunbury. I tend to prefer building out of the Box, as I don't have the skills for scratch building!

Got the canopy on, most of the trenches are taken care off, and I've used white primer to paint the nose and tail fins etc. Gonna mask them off, and then the black primer on the whole airframe will be next...

c6a8fb0c-09c8-44d6-8b49-c59b6d42113b.jpg

• Like 1