Revell Star Wars TIE fighter colours

I've not really been about to find much about it, but does anyone know what the most accurate colours for painting the Revell TIE fighters would be? The primary colours they recommend for the chasis are 76 (light grey) and 79 (blueish grey), but  I'm not entirely sure if those are accurate colours or just a case of them just going for something that seems sort of right.

The TIE fighters are different colours in the different movies. IIRC a neutral grey in ANH and ESB and a cool (blue) grey in RotJ.

I like Tamiya Royal Light Grey as a neutral (even slightly warm) grey and plain Light Grey for a cooler option. I think Andy used Sea Grey on one of his for a cool grey?

I should add that IMO matching accurate colours against movies is a mug's game as there are so many things that affect the appearance. You replicate the colour of the original filming model and discover it looks nowt like the on screen version due to differences in lighting, film choice, colour grading etc.

Cheers,

Will

The blue TIEs were painted Pactra Stormy Sea Blue, can't find a reference for the grey but it was almost white on screen.  I use Vallejo Pale Blue Grey (71.046) for the later films and White Grey (71.119) for episode IV.

Just as a bit of trivia George Lucas wanted to paint them purple originally, to contrast the large amount of grey in the film.  The film crew weren't convinced and did a few test shots and the purple blended into the black background too quickly so grey was adopted instead.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The original TIE colour was Pactra Stormy Sea Grey and this is almost an exact match to Tamiya spray "Haze Grey". I once found a topic on this somewhere else in the web with both colours compared directly to each other. From my info all TIE types in all three original movies were painted the same Pactra Stormy Sea Grey colour. I think the Super Star destroyer as well. The differnece on the screen resulted from the change of blue screen in Ep IV to green screen in Ep V and VI.

So the dilemma is: Do you want to paint it as the prop looked or as it looked like on the screen :-)