1/48 RAAF Beaufighter Mk 1c 30 SQN

Harvs73

Here is the original aircraft after a sortie where it got a little to low and took out a flag pole in a Japanese camp. I am not going to represent the damage but the image series does show some good detail of the aircraft.

file.php?id=16005

The first coat of Sky is down using my normal Humbrol Hu90 paint.

file.php?id=16093

• Like 6

The masking is done and the EDSG is sprayed on and I am waiting for it to dry properly before masking the top for the DSG. I am going for the low demarcation between the top and underneath colours as this what the photographs have it as.

file.php?id=16103

file.php?id=16102

file.php?id=16101

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

Lovely work so far David! That scheme is rather nice, but I'm still a Foliage Green boy at heart.

Is that one of the Auster killers at right?

I will be building a foilage green one in the future but every now and then I go for something different.

The kit off to the right is one of the Auster Killers, I have finished the Trumpeter kit with just the prop on the Hobbycraft kit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking good.

Just a heads up for the undercarriage. When I assembled mine, I found the units a tad wide for fitting into the bays. A light sanding of the upper part of the units which touch the bay walls cured that though.

Trevor

• 1 month later...

I have finally managed to get the time and energy to do some more work on the Beaufighter. I was originally planning on airbrushing the panels lighter etc but have wimped out and just done a panel line wash of thinned black paint. I will be working on the detail painting etc in the next few weeks as I am on holidays now (if work leaves me alone that is).

file.php?id=16519

file.php?id=16518

file.php?id=16517

file.php?id=16516

file.php?id=16515

Edited by Harvs73
Fixing image link
  • Like 6

Just done a catch up, David.

Lovely work. I do like a Beaufighter.

I seem to remember a pre-service trials comment that went something like,

Access to this aeroplane is difficult. It should be made impossible.

Yet all those brave young men still went off and 'did their bit' in them.

That was a Beaufighter Pete, but the quote refers to the turret armed MkII as the turret basket pretty much blocked the pilots escape hatch so access was only possible via the overhead panel in the cockpit. The combination of the Merlin engines and the Defiant style turret directly behind the cockpit apparently was not a winner!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1