Tamiya 1/48 SS-100 Heavy tractor

Stephen

Great definitely on the shopping list.

I personally like the way Tamiya handle their new releases. No 12 month teaser campaign and multi page forum posts speculating on what might be. They just announce the release close to the actual release date and then on we go...

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Plasto said:

Great definitely on the shopping list.

I personally like the way Tamiya handle their new releases. No 12 month teaser campaign and multi page forum posts speculating on what might be. They just announce the release close to the actual release date and then on we go...

Totally agree......some of the excitement has gone out of anticipating new releases these days (along with many false promises).

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

I look forward to this release, there is still hope for a 1/48 Dragon Wagon!

I can't wait until the two 1/48 Tamiya aircraft releases that Marcus announced are revealed ( he only stated they were aircraft).

Kit No 100 in a range is always marked by something special. We can always hope.

On 2017-09-24 at 2:56 PM, Calum said:

I hope this isn't one of the "2 new 1/48 kits" that was rumoured a few weeks back

I like 1/48 armour but this one does nothing for me at all..

No, Marcus clearly stated it was two new tool 1/48 aircraft kits.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bit disappointing that the cab is in one piece with the doors and bonnet moulded closed. I can't imagine that this is going to be a cheap kit and if Airfix can include an engine in their new 1/48 vehicles why can't Tamiya?

Looking at the cab moulding it won't take long to separate the hood pieces. Cab doors may be harder. I prefer it like this though as it will assemble quickly for inexperienced vehicle modellers. Which will help sales. 
Somebody will be along with an engine, etched set and possibly wheels I'm pretty sure.

Mmmmm..

It’s not disappointing nor surprising. The other 1/48 soft skin vehicles in the Tamiya 1/48 range use a similar concept the Ford Fordor, Citroen Traction Avant, VW Beetle and The Austin Tilley all use a one piece body shell / cab with Doors + bonnet moulded shut ( I think you may add the bonnet in the Beetle).

As the others have said this simplifies the build and a fair number  of folks building a tow tractor will want to pose it with an aircraft subject I suppose. 

We we can look for the negative in everything but the upside is we now have a 1/48 Heavy German tow tractor which we didn’t before. 

Application of a a good dose of ‘old fashioned’ modelling techniques and skill will enable those that choose to to open up doors and engine bays and super detail away.

Cheers Plasto

• Like 1