Commercial Towing Vehicle Nostromo

Carts

"Sing if your glad to be Gray "

More "wash rinse and repeat" seemingly for an absolute eternity :)

I think after this I may need to do something colourful!

SS97iP.jpg

• Like 10

nice work coming on there - I can appreciate the amount of time you spent adding the mask patches - I've recently been there too - its rewarding when they come off and you start to see your panel work all starting to come together

I'm enjoying this and look forward to seeing it completed

Congrats on finding this kit and for building it rather than storing it away for another 40 years for 'antique' value.

I have no experience whatsoever of vinyl, but I have made largish buildings using vacu-formed plastic kit parts and cast plaster parts (which I made myself) and I found that some 'supporting internal structure' was required. I assume you faced a similar problem with 'bendy', 'saggy' and 'droopy' parts?

Someone mentioned 'stuffing the cavities with newspaper'. Well, I went one step further, using tubes of paper which were placed internally then doused with thin CA. CA makes paper set like plastic, light but strong. They were either fixed as 'struts' or laid side by side and even stacked in rows within the cavity, forming a honeycomb in cross-section. These CA'd tubes really do work well, strengthening the kit massively.

Oh, and I also applied paper along the inside of long joints between thin parts - again fixing with thin CA - greatly strengthening the joints.

Probably too late now, seeing that you've built the thing, but maybe someone else will find this useful?

I hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs?

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Had mine in the attic for ages before deciding it's got to be done.

It's a great kit and subject which makes it all the more weird that no ones bothered to re-do it.

Still look how long it took us to get decent kits of the Enterprise, Proteus and the Flying Sub.

Here's how mine turned out. ( with a few optic fibres and leds added)

2ee2031c-6e47-4d8d-9b5f-bcaba7b57167.jpg

• Like 12

Hey Neo,I came across your build when researching this kit,it's ,without a doubt ,an exceptional build,despite the best efforts of a cat if I recall :)

Badders,Thanks for the tips,I Haven't actually glued the kit together yet as I want to put in some fairly rudimentary lighting.

Cheers Andy  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad to have found this thread - never seen the contents of that box before, nice to see it. I've bid on so many of these things on eBay over the years! I remember at my first Telford comp my Babylon 5 Starfury was beaten into Silver place by a beautifully painted Nostromo. Its a superb ship and I'd love to have one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's still all looking very, very ,grey! Even the base is Grey :)

Nearly all cobbled together,main fuselage still needs fixing and filling in place,most of all the rear engine work is in place and the base is starting to come together.

wPg6d0.jpg

Cheers

Andy

• Like 12

"Fifty shades of Grey,this time its Grey-er!"

Been working on my LV-426 Landscape,sharp sand ,white glue mix,Planetoid structures made from air drying clay.

oyKR6l.jpg

Ship sat on surface,driving me nuts with trying to light it,may settle for less lighting and more sanity.

aoPRxE.jpg

Ah well,Back to it.

• Like 9

wow! Grail kit indeed, what happened to Halcyon? I've built a couple (Predator 2, very fiddly dreads! also the large mature alien, which to be honest I wasn't impressed with) still got the Narcissuss in the stash. Never seen this big boy assembled and painted, will follow with interest!