work area

alecras234

Hi can you help me please?  I was given a airfix Cromwell mk VI tank starter kit for christmas and i assembled the base, it's only the upper parts that need putting on and its time to paint it.   The wheels were a struggle to put on, they aren't in a straight line, a few are up and down.   I haven't touched it for months but i don't have the get up and go with my modelling.  How do i keep my enthusiasm going?  Also, it takes ages to build.  I've watched videos of modelers on youtube, they seem to take an hour or so to complete a model.

Hi Alecras,

Modeling has its up and downs. But try to never give up on your subject. Learn from the mistakes and keep the finished model in your display cabinet.

It is a constant reminder that it does not always go your way. We all have it. Experienced or not. Cheap model or expensive model.

Keep us informed on your progress. Remember, it is a marvelous hobby.

Regards and success Dirk / The Netherlands.   

• Like 3

Yes, Alecras, every model build has its good and bad bits but essentially you are working towards a finished item that will fire your imagination and of which you will be proud. Sometimes, you just have to leave it as is and 'move on' from a bit of the model that hasn't gone together well and don't get bogged down in trying to achieve complete perfection. (Things that don't look perfect can be considered as 'battle damage'). 

How about having a short break and doing a bit of research on Cromwell tanks, and other contemporary tanks, via the Internet or books/magazines? Building up some background information and deciding that you want to represent a particular vehicle or piece of history, for example, can sometimes get the old enthusiasm going again! Search on this website to see if any other Britmodellers have done a similar build - you won't be the first to get wheels out of line!

Happy modelling.

Mike

• Like 1

Alecras234 ... we all have a demon kit that we can’t tame. Some just give up. Some set it aside and decide to go back when they're ready. And some just say bleep it and finish it. I choose to set it aside and go back when im ready. Dont give up its a rewarding hobby and its meant to relax. So if you choose to finish it. Sit there and ask yourself what went wrong ? Ask yourself how do i not repeat that ? In the end keep the model as a reminder to say i can overcome and finish even if it was a bear to do so. 

• Like 1

The whole point about this hobby is that it's supposed to be enjoyable. If you aren't enjoying it then it may be that modelling just doesn't float your boat. Perhaps it is just this kit: I steer clear of tanks because of all the little wheels and assembling the tracks, but even as an aircraft addict, I like doing the occasional vehicle, so why not put the Cromwell aside, and do something else, like and armoured car or a truck.

Don't gauge your own modelling ability against others. Some may take an hour, but believe it or not, some take years to complete a model. This is about your enjoyment and is entirely what you want to get out of the hobby.

Recently my mojo failed: so I left it alone for three months until I felt that I wanted to continue. If you force it, it squeezes the fun out.

• Like 2

I know exactly what you mean alecras

ive had a 1/35 maquette valentine which is just nearing completion. I started the kit over seven years ago and had all sorts of trouble with the poor moulding (loads of dips and sink holes to be filled and a very poorly fitting turret roof) probably spent more on filler than the kit itself 😂.

I'll be posting some pics soon along with my hybrid firefly mash up (italeri front glass, tamiya hull and Tasca turret)

keep it going, I'm sure it will turn out alright in the end

• Like 2

As most of the replies have said, everyone has a model that they start, but for whatever reason, can't finish. They're called "shelf queens". Maybe someday, you'll go back to it and complete it, or maybe like me, you end up using it as spare parts for other builds. I'm not familiar with the Airfix Cromwell other than to say that it is quite an old kit. Personally, I wish kit manufacturers wouldn't do this. They call it a starter kit, but quite often it' just their way of selling some more copies of an old and sometimes poorly fitting kit. If I was advising someone on what  model to buy, I'd say go for a more up to date kit. It may cost a bit more, but chances are that you will get more satisfaction out of building it as (hopefully) you won't have as many problems with fit issues and parts that carry a lot of flash.

HTH's.

John.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mr Alecras,

Not much to add to what's been said before; I too have been there, only my 'shelf queen' was an old Airfix WW1 aircraft kit (a Hannover 2-seater).

It took me more than a year to complete, for a variety of reasons:

1. I had no clue of how I was going to reproduce the prescribed lozenge patterns on the wings and fuselage.

2. I had very few opportunities to do any modelling, due to working full time and also looking after my disabled son, now in his mid 20s.

3. I had no specific place where I could work on it, and then leave it untouched until the next opportunity came along - I only had the dining table, which of course had to be cleared for meal times etc.

4. I had nowhere to keep the model even in the unlikely event of ever completing it.

In the end, the breakthrough came when an internet search showed that Hannovers were painted in 'plain' schemes as well as lozenge. At least then I was able to start gluing bits together, which in itself acted as an incentive to do the next stage. I also managed to get a display cabinet, and space in a spare bedroom to put it. I could then put the WIP in there, out of harm's way, until the next opportunity to make progress came along. It's not brilliant by any means, but it serves to remind me of what my modelling standard was at the time. If I made the same kit again, the chances are it would look better - if only because of the experience gained from making the original plus the other things I've made since.

As has been said, if you feel you have to complete it to a particular standard, or within a particular time-scale, then you'll always find reasons not to try.

Forget timescales, forget standards, it's about enjoying the simple act of assembling a model from a kit.

If it helps, try writing a general, high level list of things you think you need to do in order to complete it. Thereafter, make a plan to try and tackle just one of those. Crossing something off a to-do list is a good feeling!

One other thing I would suggest - start a 'Work in Progress' thread of your model on here, and upload some pics to show it at its various stages. You will find that people will be only too happy to comment, whether it's to offer advice or suggestions, or just tell you you've done well! Believe me, that can be a powerful incentive, and one that I have had personal experience of.

Hope this is of some use to you.

All the best.

• Like 3

An hour? That's just time compression because of video. Personallly, I've got more than one kit that I started in the mid-80s that still isn't finished... I wouldn't worry too much about the time frame, it's the fun that counts.

Every single model that you build will have a fault. Or two. Or two dozen. That's the nature of the beast, we're imperfect beings. What I do is just roll with it and try to do it better next time (you should see some of my dogs). Building the same model a second time can help too, as you're aware of any tricky bits and can spend extra effort solving those.

Don't give up, it's a great (if sometimes frustrsting) pastime.

• Like 4