1/48 Stuka recommendation

DDELK

DDELK ... you didnt specify scale. If my memory serves the Tamiya is an Italeri re-pop ? Im not 100% certain, but i think i read that somewhere. Someone may know for sure. Personally if i am correct and its Italeri vs Airfix. I like the Airfix kit myself, but thats just a personal choice. 

NOT the Italeri/Tamiya!

depends what version you want, the 'snake' is a desert B-2,  the Revell rebox of the Hsaegawa kit had this as an option. (maybe a Hase boxing too)

see

also, there is a an old and new tool Airfix Stuka! 

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The old revell kit can be built up quite nicely if your willing to put the time into it. 

that's a 1/32nd B-2, there is also the old Monogram kit in 1/48th, but that's a G

the 1/48th Revell B-2 is a Hasegawa rebox

I'm slightly biased in this but depending on how much work you want to put in the old tool airfix (if you can find it for a decent price!) kit is fun.  Sure, no jericho trumpets and raised detail but just mho..... :)

• Like 1

I don't know much about the Stuka but all I know is that I'm looking for the best fit with the least amount of headaches.. I'm not a rivet counter by any means and as long as it looks like a Stuka, then I'm good with that. I would like some decent cockpit detail however. 

Dave👍

31 minutes ago, DDELK said:

I don't know much about the Stuka but all I know is that I'm looking for the best fit with the least amount of headaches.. I'm not a rivet counter by any means and as long as it looks like a Stuka, then I'm good with that. I would like some decent cockpit detail however. 

Dave👍

Maybe avoid the old tool airfix one then ;)

in fact you won't get one of the old ones for much less than the revell / new airfix one - i had a bid on one on fleabay that's gone a bit mad......

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DDELK said:

Dave👍

Don't know how much cost is a consideration,  but there will be loads of Hasegawa B-2 about in  the US,  or easily  available from a Japanese or far east online.

here's a build with the snake decals

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/ju87b2dwa_1.htm

the cockpit  is reasonably detailed,  

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/aviation/Hasegawa-Build-article-5-22-14.php

but there is the usual aftermarket if you wish.

Hase kits usually fit well,  but goggle up some more builds.

At the moment the new tool Airfix is only  a B-1 model as well.

HTH

Revell doesn't help with the confusion - they have their old 1/32 kit with the red snake markings, Monograms old 1/48 "G" model, and a rebox of Hasegawa's 1/48 B/R kit with red snake markings.

Image result for revell stuka Image result for revell stuka  Image result for revell stuka

Your next challenge is - was the snake red/white or camo/white, and was it on left side only, or both sides!

Hubert Polz would be proud of the confusion he's caused with these markings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DDELK said:

Dave👍

I think at this point you've got three viable choices: Hasegawa (also reboxed by Revell), Italeri (apparently also reboxed by Tamiya with some extra stuff), and the old Airfix B-2. I've built the Hasegawa. It's pretty decent, although they didn't do a very good job representing the attachment points for the flaps. From reading a couple of reviews of the Italeri B-2, it looks to be uncharacteristically well done for them and apparently close to being on a par with the Hasegawa. There is criticism out there about the shape of the front fuselage, spinner and prop blades. The old Airfix B-2 is not bad at all and arguably has the most accurate surface detail since the Stuka was in fact covered with raised rivets. It's got simplified interior detail, but it builds quite easily. I don't remember whether or not the canopy can be posed open.

The new Airfix Stuka released so far is the B-1, but according to Tom Cleaver in his review at Modeling Madness, the box contains all the parts necessary to make a B-2. In any case, a dedicated B-2 is coming at some point in the near future. There's some funkiness with the rivet treatment, and the center canopy piece is molded in such a way that masking it is tricky (or worse) if you want to pose it open. Check out some of the numerous discussions here and elsewhere if you're considering going this route.

1 hour ago, Seawinder said:

I think at this point you've got three viable choices: Hasegawa (also reboxed by Revell), Italeri (apparently also reboxed by Tamiya with some extra stuff), and the old Airfix B-2. I've built the Hasegawa. It's pretty decent, although they didn't do a very good job representing the attachment points for the flaps. From reading a couple of reviews of the Italeri B-2, it looks to be uncharacteristically well done for them and apparently close to being on a par with the Hasegawa. There is criticism out there about the shape of the front fuselage, spinner and prop blades. The old Airfix B-2 is not bad at all and arguably has the most accurate surface detail since the Stuka was in fact covered with raised rivets. It's got simplified interior detail, but it builds quite easily. I don't remember whether or not the canopy can be posed open.

The new Airfix Stuka released so far is the B-1, but according to Tom Cleaver in his review at Modeling Madness, the box contains all the parts necessary to make a B-2. In any case, a dedicated B-2 is coming at some point in the near future. There's some funkiness with the rivet treatment, and the center canopy piece is molded in such a way that masking it is tricky (or worse) if you want to pose it open. Check out some of the numerous discussions here and elsewhere if you're considering going this route.

Thanks for the great info, it will surely help. If I can indeed make a B-2 out of the new Airfix kit, I may look at that option as well. The customer who is requesting this build also wants the canopy open and I hear the new Airfix kit has pretty good cockpit detail.. I'll look at all the reviews..

thanks

Dave

I don't think  from examination of my kit that you can make a B2 out of the current Airfix 1/48 B1 boxing.

While it has many of the B2 / R2 parts in the sprues it doesn't seem to have the correct cowling parts in the box for a B2 /R2. 

Hence  the forthcoming B2 release I suppose..

Have fun. 

Plasto

The new Airfix is a very well engineered kit!  I recently finished a build, and found that it went together with almost the precision of Lego bricks... a click, and it's done!! :D  Cockpit detail is nice, and I used Tamiya tape for seat belts/harnesses, otherwise built OoB....  I used the open canopy version, but first I scoured Hannants website:  There is an excellent new Eduard canopy mask set for it, that takes care of the inner and outer frame work brilliantly ;)  Here's the Hannants product code number:  EDEX536

Airfix do have the R2 version imminent, if not already available..... the Eduard canopy set will of course work ;)  The B1 build's-up into a lovely looking Stuka :)

1 hour ago, yarvelling said:

The new Airfix is a very well engineered kit!  I recently finished a build, and found that it went together with almost the precision of Lego bricks... a click, and it's done!! :D  Cockpit detail is nice, and I used Tamiya tape for seat belts/harnesses, otherwise built OoB....  I used the open canopy version, but first I scoured Hannants website:  There is an excellent new Eduard canopy mask set for it, that takes care of the inner and outer frame work brilliantly ;)  Here's the Hannants product code number:  EDEX536

Airfix do have the R2 version imminent, if not already available..... the Eduard canopy set will of course work ;)  The B1 build's-up into a lovely looking Stuka :)

I don't know the difference between the B-1 and the B-2.. it sounds like a kit I would like to try but I plan on using the desert snake decals.. I'm assuming this wouldn't be accurate with the Airfix kit?

Dave

On 21/09/2017 at 19:29, DDELK said:

I'm going to purchase the aftermarket decals. So then what is the best one to go with as far as the B-2 is concerned?

dave

4 hours ago, yarvelling said:

DDELK:  I think the newer issue of the kit which is the R2 will be applicable...
Have a look here... hope this link works ;)
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/junkers-ju87b-2-r-2-stuka-1-72.html

It even has the snake motifs that you want ;)

The Airfix 1/48 Ju87 B-1 has the parts for the B-2 and R-2 in the box

4 hours ago, DDELK said:

I don't know the difference between the B-1 and the B-2.. it sounds like a kit I would like to try but I plan on using the desert snake decals.. I'm assuming this wouldn't be accurate with the Airfix kit?

Dave

Difference between the B-1 and B-2 are; different exhausts, under nose radiator cowling and propeller [included in B-1 kit]

Difference between the B-2 and R-2 are the gunner's canopy mg armour and internal fittings to take the auxilliary [aka drop] tanks under the wings [also included in the B-1 kit] Externally the B-2 and R-2 are identical in looks

Why would Airfix' Snake decals not be accurate?

Only about 3 aircraft were actually marked with the snake afair

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DDELK said:

I'm assuming this wouldn't be accurate with the Airfix kit?

Why?   Airfix do decent research,  and there are plenty of poorly researched AM decals too.

Note, there is much debate on what the actual colours the snake was,  red/white,   or light brown (the colour of desert snakes) and white.

This was discussed in one of the build links I posted.

4 hours ago, yarvelling said:

hope this link works ;)
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/junkers-ju87b-2-r-2-stuka-1-72.html

It even has the snake motifs that you want ;)

except the OP  asked  for 1/48th.

The new tool Airfix 1/48th B-1,  from a  previous discussion and looking at sprue shots, 

has most but  not ALL the parts for a B-2,  I think  the missing bits  are the engine side panels,  but this has not  been totally confirmed.

1 hour ago, DDELK said:

I think I've made up my mind with the 1:48 Tamiya/Italeri kit and I'll pick up some AM decals along with the canopy masks. 

Dave

so you read the link then

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006818-which-stuka/

specifically  this

the Italeri kit has grossly misshaped spinner, and according to some comments, the entire cockpit is in the wrong place, which looks to be the case

6Zjp4jw.jpg

after much searching for comparable image

.... note distance between windscreen and cowling, and the bulbous spinner shape,( Italeri really have problems with spinners...their Hurricane ones are absymal)

BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-87B-Stuka-StG1-(6G+-

Troy,

Surely folk can build what kit they like. Advice is just advice..

But I must admit the Italeri probably wouldn't be my first choice but it's a 'free world'.  One of the Tamiya boxing s has the nice 1/48 bomb loading trolley and ground crew. In lieu of the Airfix release I'd personally probably look for a Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit..

The 1/48th Airfix B1 boxing does not have ( at least in the box I have) the correct cowl parts for a B2. 

It it does have Drop tanks a choice of props and different Exhausts , siren generators and stubs but not the cowl bits.

A B1 cowl differs quite a bit from a B2.

B1

36586340633_cb1936f0cf_z.jpg

B2

37000397290_44a4ccb5d6.jpg

I think when when we last discussed the current 1/48 Airfix kit the view was you could get a B1 and R1 out of the current boxing. 

Cheers

Plasto

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

has most but  not ALL the parts for a B-2,  I think  the missing bits  are the engine side panels,  but this has not  been totally confirmed.

The Airfix kit uses the same side panels for -1 & -2, you fit the different exhausts into these

Black Knight...

I'm not sure that's correct... while you do get the  B2 Exhausts the B1 side panel does not have the fairing over the front exhaust stack nor the upper and lower heat shields. Plus the Radiator is a bit Different IIRC.

I'll have a look to see if the B2 instructions are online that might clear it up.