RAF F-4 - teaching an old modeller new tricks?

alhenderson

Afternoon All,

First post on here.  When I was a teenager I was a prolific modeller and thought myself not too bad at the whole thing.  That, however, was 20+ years ago (which is being generous).  I built myself a Red Arrows Gnat a few years back to try and get back into the swing of things, which was OK but didn't really inspire me to anything greater.  For some reason I'm now thinking I want to build a Phantom.  Grew up at RAF Leuchars so it naturally needs to be an RAF machine, probably a 43 or 111 sqn FG.1.  In that era it should probably be a grey scheme, although I quite like the earlier camo.

Having done some reading on here, I see that the Fujimi kits are the ones to go for.  I've found one on Hobby Link Japan for £15 plus postage.  It's the "Silver Jubilee" FAA machine and also has 43 and 111 markings.  Does anyone know what scheme the RAF ones are?  From the decals I'm guessing its camo?  I guess there's always after market decal sheets.  Is this Hobby Link site a decent one? They look OK, but then it's easy to get a website to look OK :-)

Towards the end of my period as a modeller I painted everything in gloss and then varnished to get the decals to look better.  Can't remember the name of the paint now - think the tins had yellow labels.  I assume a similar thing still exists today?  I only ever had a cheap spray gun which was frankly rubbish so I never ventured into that game.  Any recommendations for reasonably priced spray kit?  May not be worth it, though, if I only ever build this one thing and then realise I'm not that fussed any more...  

Thanks for humouring me!

Al.

Hi Al

Here's a few answers

Both the RAF machines are in the late 3-tone grey scheme .  Here's a link to the options in that kit :

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10341050/60/2

Yes , HLJ are reputable .

The paint you're thinking of is Xtracolor .  It's still available & is produced by Hannants of Lowestoft :

www.hannants.co.uk

Cheers

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

John,

Thanks for the info - Xtracolor!!! Of course!  Don't like that 111 scheme, would rather a regular squadron bird, I think,  I'll have a dig around and see what decal sets are available..

Al.

41 minutes ago, rs2man said:

It's in stock at Hobby Search :

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10341050

They're good too .

Duly ordered :-)  Weirdly, I opted for Paypal payment but at no point in the process did it take me to paypal.  I have an email saying they've received my order.  Guess they handle paypal in some strange manual way?

Al.

I'm a huge fan of the Fujimi British Phantom kits, they still give some modern day kits a good run for their money, especially in regards to surface detail.

However as Troy above says Airfix are about to release a new tool Phantom kit, initially an FG.1.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this kit will compare to the old Fujimi one.

One thing to watch with the Fujimi Phantoms, is that generally speaking the later the boxing, the more detail they added into the kit (though they are all fine).

You an get on Ebay, but I only ever pay £20 tops.

Just now, 71chally said:

I'm a huge fan of the Fujimi British Phantom kits, they still give some modern day kits a good run for their money, especially in regards to surface detail.

However as Troy above says Airfix are about to release a new tool Phantom kit, initially an FG.1.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this kit will compare to the old Fujimi one.

One thing to watch with the Fujimi Phantoms, is that generally speaking the later the boxing, the more detail they added into the kit (though they are all fine).

You an get on Ebay, but I only ever pay £20 tops.

Is the "Silver Anniversary" RN one a later boxing?  Website said that it was released 2015 so I guess it is?  When I was modelling seriously I always hankered after the Japanese kits, used to stand there in the model shop staring in awe at them, but could never afford them on my pocket money :-(  Have Airfix improved these days such that theirs is likely to give the Fujimis a run for their money?

Al.

As Troy says the new Airfix Phantom is due soon.  If you haven't already seen any of the publicity it is highly likely to knock Fujimi's (still very worth getting) Phantoms into cocked hats whilst costing about the same in the U.K.  Although billed as an RN FG. 1 it can be built as an RAF example, bearing in mind that a lot of the RN jets wound up with 43 and 111 Squadrons.  IIRC Modeldecal, also available through Hannants, covered a number of schemes for both units, so it may be worth a shufti on their site.

31 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

Is the "Silver Anniversary" RN one a later boxing?  Website said that it was released 2015 so I guess it is?  When I was modelling seriously I always hankered after the Japanese kits, used to stand there in the model shop staring in awe at them, but could never afford them on my pocket money :-(  Have Airfix improved these days such that theirs is likely to give the Fujimis a run for their money?

Al.

Yes, it's a recent reissue of the better boxing.  Some here for £11.42 for the kit only https://www.plazajapan.com/4968728270449/.

At one time I had a list of all the boxings and the improvements, but darned if I can find it at the mo.

From memory the improvements came when the 'Royal Collection' Boscombe Down and Alcock & Brown Phantom kits were released in the late 1980s.  They and the Silver Anniversary were reissued in recent times.

Will be interesting with the new kit.

the Airfix Phantom already displays major advantages over the Fujimi, such as posable flaps and leading edges etc and some great attention to details between the two British versions, but I still haven't seen an Aifix kit with the finesse of surface detail that the Fujimis have.

If you've waited this long you might be better holding out for the Airfix Al, but I still like the old Fujimi!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Know where you are coming from.  Made loads of kits until I was about drinking age then packed up for 20 odd years.  Started back with good old humbrol enamels but quickly switched to the newer water based acrylic paints.  Have been using humbrol and tamiya rattle cans in preference to the ancient airbrush and have to say they are very good.  Also pots of acrylic for the hairy stick work.   I moved up to 1/48 and enjoy the larger size now.  Couple of uk phantoms early on worked out ok - cheap pre started eBay kits just to try things out on.  Good luck with your build

1 minute ago, bar side said:

Know where you are coming from.  Made loads of kits until I was about drinking age then packed up for 20 odd years.  Started back with good old humbrol enamels but quickly switched to the newer water based acrylic paints.  Have been using humbrol and tamiya rattle cans in preference to the ancient airbrush and have to say they are very good.  Also pots of acrylic for the hairy stick work.   I moved up to 1/48 and enjoy the larger size now.  Couple of uk phantoms early on worked out ok - cheap pre started eBay kits just to try things out on.  Good luck with your build

Interesting, acrylic paints were just coming into vogue when I packed it in, don't think they were as good as the enamel back then. Have they improved?  I assume rattle cans are spray paint tins?

Al

1 minute ago, alhenderson said:InterestingHave they improved?  I assume rattle cans are spray paint tins?

Al

I think so.  Great for mat / semi gloss.  Don't think anything can top enamel for true high gloss.  But water based is so much easier to clean up brushes.  Yes, humbrol cans are about £5 a go but last quite well.  Cant spray as fine as an airbrush, but no cleaning out afterwards.  This if my FGR2 painted with them (1/48)

xKVWyBW.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Yes, it's a recent reissue of the better boxing.  Some here for £11.42 for the kit only https://www.plazajapan.com/4968728270449/.

At one time I had a list of all the boxings and the improvements, but darned if I can find it at the mo.

From memory the improvements came when the 'Royal Collection' Boscombe Down and Alcock & Brown Phantom kits were released in the late 1980s.  They and the Silver Anniversary were reissued in recent times.

Will be interesting with the new kit.

the Airfix Phantom already displays major advantages over the Fujimi, such as posable flaps and leading edges etc and some great attention to details between the two British versions, but I still haven't seen an Aifix kit with the finesse of surface detail that the Fujimis have.

If you've waited this long you might be better holding out for the Airfix Al, but I still like the old Fujimi!

Maybe you're right. Is the Airfix one due out in December? Although I think I've bought the Fujimi one.. haven't paid for it yet, though. Doing two would certainly ease some of my decisions :-)

Al

Make a start with Fujimi-san. They're a quality kit and despite what's said, I can't see the Airfix version being as 'nice'. It may have more working bits, but going by my new Airfix kits, they've got quite a way to go to catch up in the area of fine detail. I'm sure it'll be a nice kit, but they're not up to Japanese quality yet.

Now I'll put my fireproof undies on and wait for the napalming! :jump_fire:

PS. I'm willing to be proven wrong, and I'll be putting my money down for a couple of the new Airfix F-4s unless they're total pants. But let's wait for the plastic before we get all defensive, eh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rob G said:

Make a start with Fujimi-san. They're a quality kit and despite what's said, I can't see the Airfix version being as 'nice'. It may have more working bits, but going by my new Airfix kits, they've got quite a way to go to catch up in the area of fine detail. I'm sure it'll be a nice kit, but they're not up to Japanese quality yet.

Now I'll put my fireproof undies on and wait for the napalming! :jump_fire:

PS. I'm willing to be proven wrong, and I'll be putting my money down for a couple of the new Airfix F-4s unless they're total pants. But let's wait for the plastic before we get all defensive, eh?

You survived the night :-)  Fujimi kit on its way, just got to explain it to the missus now...  And decide whether to go camo or grey, 43 or 111..

Al.

• Like 1

Just now, 71chally said:

There were so many special schemes with those two Sqns as well, in fact the 'Black Mike' boxing of the Fujimi Phantom was my favourite kit.

Black Mike is the iconic Leuchars phantom of my era, but I did that one back in the day.  I'm leaning towards a grey/green camo at the moment if I can get the decals.

12 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

Black Mike is the iconic Leuchars phantom of my era, but I did that one back in the day.  I'm leaning towards a grey/green camo at the moment if I can get the decals.

I'm pretty sure I can help you there - I'm pretty sure I've got a spare set of Xtradecals for a camo 43 Sqn aircraft in the early markings with the red/white/blue roundels .  PM me your address & I'll send you what I can find .

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, my kit has finally arrived off the slow boat from the Far East.  Only for HMRC to slap an £11.45 customs charge on it!  Thought I might slip through the net, not my lucky day, clearly :-(

Is getting 'caught' like this unusual, or are they usually on the ball?

Al.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:16 AM, alhenderson said:

You survived the night :-)  Fujimi kit on its way, just got to explain it to the missus now...  And decide whether to go camo or grey, 43 or 111..

Al.

Go for 43 sqn - you get the benefit of a lovely chequered flash