RAF F-4 - teaching an old modeller new tricks?

alhenderson

It’s all personal preference of course, but I think the best looking of the FG.1s were 43 sqn ones in green/grey camo.

Best RAF Phantoms IMO though are camo 23 and 56 sqn ones, closely followed by grey 29 sqn ones but these would all need to be an FGR.2 of course.

I feel a Phantom phrenzy coming on! Which is the best FGR.2 kit in 1/72?

If you are doing an RAF Phantom the I use the following rattle cans for my 1/48 aircraft.

Humbrol Dark Sea Grey 164

Humbrol Dark Green 163

Humbrol Light Grey 64

Humbrol Metal Cote Steel

Humbrol Metal Cote Aluminium

If doing one in the light grey air defence scheme then substitute for the Dark Green 163 and Dark Sea Grey 164.

Tamiya Royal Light Grey TS-81

Humbrol Medium Sea Grey 165

Here is what you can achieve using aerosols, a flory models wash and time...

tn_3b76cb28-0528-4fbe-885f-bc1fd292cfae.

The Air Defence Grey scheme using TS-81

tn_b5e3fd28-1954-4397-8fae-8bb98d2b5304.

tn_c0a4efaf-b241-4b3e-a8be-80402c82cde8.

The Camouflage scheme.

• Like 2

On 18/10/2017 at 11:33 AM, alhenderson said:

So, my kit has finally arrived off the slow boat from the Far East.  Only for HMRC to slap an £11.45 customs charge on it!  Thought I might slip through the net, not my lucky day, clearly :-(

Is getting 'caught' like this unusual, or are they usually on the ball?

Al.

I think you've probably been clobbered by Royal Snail's "handling or clearance charge", as have many others.  The subject has been done to death on this and other sites, particularly among the shining whits on Sniperscale.

I don't know what the kit cost you in Great British Pounds but it won't attract Customs duty at the UK border; VAT is chargeable and is worked out on the cost of the kit plus the cost of getting it to that border plus the (non-existent in this case) duty.  Royal Snail then come along and, without your agreement, "arrange" Customs clearance and that is where the bulk of your £11.45 has gone.

32 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I think you've probably been clobbered by Royal Snail's "handling or clearance charge", as have many others.  The subject has been done to death on this and other sites, particularly among the shining whits on Sniperscale.

I don't know what the kit cost you in Great British Pounds but it won't attract Customs duty at the UK border; VAT is chargeable and is worked out on the cost of the kit plus the cost of getting it to that border plus the (non-existent in this case) duty.  Royal Snail then come along and, without your agreement, "arrange" Customs clearance and that is where the bulk of your £11.45 has gone.

Thanks for the explanation. Kit was about £25 so a fiver plus some 'admin' fee and I guess we're there. Hey ho, guess that's what happens when you buy from abroad.

Al

2 hours ago, alhenderson said:

Thanks for the explanation. Kit was about £25 so a fiver plus some 'admin' fee and I guess we're there. Hey ho, guess that's what happens when you buy from abroad.

the Plazalink Japan link posted has the kit for £11.42,  VAT is charged over £15,  and weirdly, then on the post too,  but under £15 your good to go.

Not so goodnow with the weak pound :(

IIRC  in a thread here it was noted that Hong Kong and  other FarEast shops won't put a lower declartion on a package,  but some Japanese places will.

Final point, the RM £8 fee is the same if  the value of packet is £16 or £160, a bigger order will more  likely get caught, but  does spread the handling fee...

So, it's arrived!  Gulp.  Got to put my money where my mouth is now.  Going to do her as a 43 sqn machine in green/grey camo, and I fancy putting the canopies up.  Have just been following an old thread somewhere else on here abut a 1:35 Chinook, and the interior detailing was immense!  No way I'm up to those standards, but I do wonder if I should break the habit of a lifetime and make an effort with the crew - never used to bother as it was too much faff!

Anyone got any hints on any after market parts I could be thinking of?  I know I used to have the little red caps that went on the sidewinders etc back in the day.  Maybe some little tweaks like that to finish her off?

Al.

Dark Evenings

• Like 3