Huey Lewis and the News....

Winenut

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmmm 🤔 ... you and i use the same sprue method. Good to know im not the only one 👍

Maybe we've started something! :)

Some would say "great minds think alike"...

My father (in his classic Scottish wry humour) would say "Aye....and fools never differ"  :D

Good to know we're keeping tidy and pragmatic model building alive. 

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Winenut said:

I've used Tamiya XF-62 enamel for the Olive Drab. The colours good but the paint has remained "sticky" and not really matted off.

Hi Bruce...

What thinner did you used with the XF-62?

Edited by matteo44
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Hi Bruce...

What thinner did you used with the XF-62?

I used Tamiya XF-62 Enamel Paint so I used Tamiya X-20 thinner below (not X-20A)

37405217170_069b4584cb_b.jpg

Edited by Winenut
grammar!
  • Thanks 1

Hello Bruce,

nice to see you again ! Really like your chopper !

The kit has the "power of love" Especially the U.S version with the kind of trump on the nose !

Not the one with the false blond hair of course !

Nice job, really enjoyed ! :yes:

Sincerely

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Got through the paint thing and got the coat of Future/Pledge on.

Came up pretty well

37726976141_6354faccf0_b.jpg

So I'm all set to power through the decals and I'm feeling great.

I'm doing the RAAF variant so I cut out the decals and started having a closer look at the instructions.

Then I noticed this...

37469353890_71c3c69bd2_b.jpg

There's yellow X-8 on the tail plane thingies (whatever they're called on helicopters) and I didn't pick it up when I pre-sprayed the yellow band on the boom thingy (whatever they're called on helicopters)

So I have to mask up and spray those! 

Bit of a delay but not a major hassle.

Here they are all sprayed and given another coat of Future....nice..... not a problem

37726976261_0473563f42_b.jpg

So now I'm ready for those decals.....nek minnit

I again have a close look at the instructions and goodness knows how I missed this but.......

37678873026_e9e67f0943_b.jpg

The roof above the cabin is bloody white!

Seriously I have no idea what I was thinking or how I missed it but I'll simply put it down to........alcohol.

Anywho.....

We move on again.

So I mask it all up and get ready to spray the white.

Seriously the masking looks like something out of The Mummy movie.

I bought some inexpensive "low" tack masking tape from my local hardware shop.......may as well have been labelled "NO" tack.

Ended up having to hold it in place with my expensive Tamiya masking tape!

37056829063_75978cff62_b.jpg

I've only got a Humbrol satin white on hand but it looks like the final finish is supposed to be gloss ....well the colour is listed as X-2 and not XF-2 so I'll work through that later.

On closer inspection I think the yellow bands are supposed to be gloss too (listed as Tamiya X-8) so I'll have to try and get that area sorted as well down the track....oh my lord.

Anyway because I'm not sure about my satin white I've grabbed my much loved "Test Pig" ....an original Matchbox Mossie from my childhood that has been to hell and back.

37678873616_ffe9c3bb1f_b.jpg

Gave the thinned satin white a spray test and it actually sprayed pretty well.

So well in fact that I think I will use that going forward instead of Humbrol matt white which I seem to have some trouble getting a good spray mix with.

Come to think of it I seem to have a lot of trouble with model building in general so it's quite strange that I enjoy it so much.

Anyway this is how the white roof sprayed up....

Not too bad I think but just for a kicker the white colour has shown up a multitude of flaws that the very forgiving Olive Drab managed to hide.....anyway.....

23874216758_debb25d4bb_b.jpg

The issue I will have down the track is that my "oh so clever" idea of hand painting around the top green glass window things and then using maskol to infill (which I think was going to be a winner) is now rendered redundant because the colour I hand painted carefully around the glass was Olive Drab!!!

Might be a few touch-ups required when I eventually get to the point of removing the window masks towards the end of the build......unless of course I've missed something else!!

I did some fiddly little yellow tips on the antenna thingys that go on the front because the photo on the box had fiddly little yellow tips. There's no call out to paint them in the instructions but then again I've missed most of the damn painting instructions so it possibly could be there! 

Anyway here's a photo of them because I like them....I only pray I can actually stick them on properly at the end without stuffing them up.

23874215628_243951d88f_b.jpg

That's it for now.....we'll see what tomorrow brings!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Well, that was a very entertaining update :)  I think you brilliantly fixed the ... momentary lacks of attention (note that I didn't mention alcohol, you did! :D ) 

That satin white came out a treat, BTW :clap: When I need to spray white on top of a darker color, I normally give it first an off-white coat; my paints of choice for this job are Tamiya Flat White mixed with a bit of Tamiya Sky Grey.

Then I go over that with the final white coat. Just my :2c: 

Ciao

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, giemme said:

Well, that was a very entertaining update :)  I think you brilliantly fixed the ... momentary lacks of attention (note that I didn't mention alcohol, you did! :D ) 

That satin white came out a treat, BTW :clap: When I need to spray white on top of a darker color, I normally give it first an off-white coat; my paints of choice for this job are Tamiya Flat White mixed with a bit of Tamiya Sky Grey.

Then I go over that with the final white coat. Just my :2c: 

Ciao

Thanks for that Giorgio.

I just did a hail Mary and sprayed the white hoping it will look okay lol!

I just took the masks off 2 mins ago......its needs a little tidy up in the back end of the roof on both sides (my masking was lazy!)  but should be fine ;)

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 71chally said:

umm, have I picked a bad time to mention that they didn't always have a white roof!:P

Excellent update and great work, really dies look good.  The white roof will break up the olive quite nicely.

Noooooo!!!!!!!!!     :lol:

Too be honest I think the white roof will give it the "Aussie" feel so as much as it's a pain (and maybe not necessary) it will give the finished kit a more unique identity.

Well hopefully! 

Cheers and thanks 

• Like 1

Just a quick update.

I've taken off the "mummy" masks and tidied up a wee bit to the point I think it's okay

Resprayed some Future/Pledge and I'm basically back to where I was a few days ago.....but with a white roof! :)

Here's a couple of pics.....they're not great but you'll get the idea where it's all at.

37077913283_e451fceb89_b.jpg

37039053264_5413a3f6c4_b.jpg

So it's "take two" for the decals and weathering.....  let's see how we go this time! 

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 3

Before I stumble off to bed here's just some progress shots....with a request for any ideas

This is the main thing going on

37063356494_3a223c67d5_b.jpg

Photography's rubbish but we do our best

The left had door decal went haywire but tamed with lashings of MicroSol and MicroSet 

To be honest getting any decal over the giant rivet detail from this original Italeri kit require lashings of MSol and MSet

The rotor blade decals aren't big enough to fully wrap around so I put the "join" on the opposite side of the rotor and will tidy up with paint later.

Found yellow decals for the main rotor blades while mucking around with this (I missed the decals in the earlier assembly instructions and ended up masking and spraying thinking the paint hadn't been called out!.....at least I'm consistently myopic)

The largish RAAF decals went all silvery and gave me a mild cardiac arrest but came good in the end.

The old school rivets are a real treat on the tail end......and everywhere else I suppose! (Check it out!)

Bit of an Olive Drab tidy up required just below and forward of the rotor housing thingy

23919410698_7642a45bc9_b.jpg

My call for any thoughts is how to fix the registration on the tail flash on the opposite side ..

There's a nasty white strip to the left of the blue part on the decal below..

37721580636_95115f61cf_b.jpg

Should I mask and carefully add some blue over the tiny strip of white??

Or is it probably easier to gently mask off the blue and paint that annoying skinny white strip with a bit of Olive Drab? (this is probably the go as it keeps the decal red white and blue in proportion)

My concern is any masking over the decals might "pull" the decal off when I remove the mask!

If I'd been anything like observant I would have picked it up "before" I even wet the decal and sliced the redundant white bit off carefully with a straight edge and super sharp blade!! (but that's what good modellers would do..)

Back to reality.....

I have tidied up the yellow band in the photo with a little masking and careful hand painting as it wasn't straight at either end and therefore........annoyed the heck out of me!

I think it's better now and with a cup of tea and a lie down I'm sure I'll be fine too.

More progress tomorrow hopefully

Thanks for looking 

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Winenut said:

My call for any thoughts is how to fix the registration on the tail flash on the opposite side ..

I'll give you some options:

option a) Strip the decal off, mask and spray it - but beware that I'm biased because I hate decals :devil:  :D

option b ) spray or brush paint a protective clear coat on the decals, then mask the blue portion with something very low-tack like a post-it note. Paint accordingly, careful for overspray and paint creeping

hth

Ciao

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, giemme said:

I'll give you some options:

option a) Strip the decal off, mask and spray it - but beware that I'm biased because I hate decals :devil:  :D

option b ) spray or brush paint a protective clear coat on the decals, then mask the blue portion with something very low-tack like a post-it note. Paint accordingly, careful for overspray and paint creeping

hth

Ciao

Thanks heaps for the response Giorgio.

I'm starting to hate decals too but I reckon for me right now your option "b" looks very achievable so I'll give that a go. :)

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Yep option "b" did the job! Thanks Giorgio

Ended up being a bit of 1.5mm Tamiya tape, some thinned paint and a steady hand

Should be fine with final weathering and flats coats

37563912970_efe8c7a406_b.jpg

As for the rest of it...

The rotor blade decal malfunction ended up looking a lot better with a bit of white and red and a very fine brush....I love hand painting it's quick easy!

Here's the blade with the white part fixed first

37111993604_e8db11c028_b.jpg

And full tidy up with red as well.

The colour match was a bit of a miracle....I just used the only red and the only white I had but they worked a treat 

37823296211_655b51b322_b.jpg

This tidy up is much better than just leaving it as the box supplied decals for the tail rotor......not a huge deal but it was simple to fix and looks heaps better

I do have some tidy up work to do again though on the RAAF "Roo" roundel.... poor registrations again and it's both sides

37571300670_a0797a3c1a_b.jpg

Not so easy to tidy this one up so without much choice it's just a freehand Olive Drab some time soon to get rid of that annoying little white crescent

I'll do that tomorrow when I'm somewhat more "focused" and less "clumsy" after roast dinner and red wine at the outlaws for dinner :speak_cool:

Given I'll fix all that up I have this motley collection of bits to sort of finish....

37571296870_b2aa7fe1f4_b.jpg

And this is a cheats dry fit of the main and tail rotors to get an idea of what she's looking like

37797813862_6ef85fa8f6_b.jpg

Not too far to go....just some weathering , flat finishes, final assembly for a few bits and window masks to come off.

Thanks heaps for looking

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 3

Hi,

I've enjoyed following along as you progress on your Huey build.  I have this kit and think the detail quite good for such a small model.  My only complaint is it's dark olive colour.  Tired old eyes find grey much easier to work with.  You're doing very well with the dark colour, however.

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi Bruce, option b worked wonder :clap::thumbsup:

Nice to see this approching the final stages - don't rush the decal corrections, this is coming out a treat, you just need a bit more of patience and steady hand :wink:

Ciao

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Hi,

I've enjoyed following along as you progress on your Huey build.  I have this kit and think the detail quite good for such a small model.  My only complaint is it's dark olive colour.  Tired old eyes find grey much easier to work with.  You're doing very well with the dark colour, however.

Dennis

I totally agree Dennis.

I found it very hard to work with dark green plastic too.

You can't see joins properly, mistakes and blemishes aren't as obvious etc etc.

I too would have preferred if it was moulded in a more common standard grey plastic.

Cheers

Bruce

Small update.

Finally got the last bits of paint on the Huey fixing the crescent moons on the roo roundels.

They're not perfect but they look better to my eye.

I did it carefully by hand.....I didn't have any other amazing ideas!

37588419990_42299019fe_b.jpg

23993699828_8ebdfe774e_b.jpg

Probably a tad skinny for the blue roundel part on both sides of the boom I fixed (bit of overlap from my brush painted Olive Drab)...... but less obvious than the white strip I think.

Would have been nice if the decals were correct in the first place :blink:

It's noticeable now with the gloss (Future) and matt Olive Drab (touch up) but I reckon that will ultimately disappear with the finish steps 

Now that I'm done with the paint I will crack on with some sort of  simple dusty, dirty wash and then the flat coat

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Bruce 

• Like 3

I'm pretty much done and with only a few tidy ups to go I'll just post a few quick photos here.

She's one very dusty and dirty RAAF Huey

I'll probably try and take a few better photos in better light tomorrow and post them in the RFI section.

26164530259_d493183421_b.jpg

26164532389_d4b45454d7_b.jpg

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 5