Huey Lewis and the News....

Winenut

If you recognized the band referenced in the topic you're probably stuck firmly in the mid 80's to early 90's! :D

I'm posting a sort of "get back into the swing" WIP to re-adjust my photo storage to flickr and see if things are working with the third party hosting

I'm totally out of character and building a helicopter!

Got super excited to find a Tamiya warbird collection Bell UH-1B super cheap at my local Toyworld only to find it's simply a Tamiya re-box of an Italeri kit....

Hoodwinked......... but that's life.

Anyway I'm enjoying it and actually Italeri kits can build up quite nicely IMO.

She's going to be an RAAF version that was included in the kit. Nothing fancy and without all the guns and stuff on the American variants I can just build it quickly and have some simple fun.

Here's some photos....hopefully

37663538561_6776e41d29_b.jpg

37365104155_654ec6f39e_b.jpg

37175106476_8ec03fdf1b_b.jpg

36968096740_e45460a03d_b.jpg

It's not going to be over the top and it's just a kit to get my mojo back and build my first RAAF variant of anything.

Chocks away!

Edited by Winenut
Flickr issue my fault!
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, Winenut said:

If you recognized the terrible band referenced in the topic you're probably stuck firmly in the mid 80's to early 90's! :D

I did ... :analintruder:  :D

Good to see you back at it, Bruce :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

That's some nice painting going on there.

Now then are you saying the pun was terrible or that it's Huey Lewis himself! :lol:

Trevor

In all honesty Trev the pun's a corker.........the band is shocking :D

Unless of course you're a massive HLATN fan in which case the band's awesome and it really is hip to be square

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, giemme said:

I did ... :analintruder:  :D

Good to see you back at it, Bruce :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio.

It's been a VERY long time.

There have been a few builds but I've not been posting much.

It is nice to be back B)

Cheers!

• Like 3

Hmmm...I already know what's wrong with the Italeri  Hueys; what's  so wrong with HLATN? (Be careful before replying, as I have all their albums on vinyl, and I am hip to be square!) Seriously, your build is looking good so far, but think I remember some discussion about either the chord or span of the main rotor back in the day.) I also remember the disappointment when I first found out that those Tamiya 'new-tools' were reboxes!

Mike

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Hmmm...I already know what's wrong with the Italeri  Hueys; what's  so wrong with HLATN? (Be careful before replying, as I have all their albums on vinyl, and I am hip to be square!) Seriously, your build is looking good so far, but think I remember some discussion about either the chord or span of the main rotor back in the day.) I also remember the disappointment when I first found out that those Tamiya 'new-tools' were reboxes!

Mike

LOL Nothing wrong with HLATN....any band that's released something on vinyl gets some kudos!

Edited by Winenut
grammar!

Lovely detailing work going on in that cockpit and cabin, your work has really given some life to the instrument panel.

I'd never of thought of a link between HLATN and Bells' finest before now!

Edited by 71chally
spolling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Winenut said:

In all honesty Trev the pun's a corker.........the band is shocking :D

Unless of course you're a massive HLATN fan in which case the band's awesome and it really is hip to be square

I think I'm heading for a square hip tho....

Trevor

• Like 1

A bit more progress

The kit is modelled in a very dark green plastic which actually makes building quite a bit more difficult.

I've sprayed some grey to lighten a few areas as a sort of reverse pre-shading.

The kit actually is engineered quite reasonably and the fit is generally pretty good.

The roof needed a bit of filling but there wasn't much else.

I'm toying with leaving the doors open as despite all the glass you still cant see much inside when she's all buttoned up. The green roof glass cuts a bit of the light into the interior

I did a dry run and I can "pop" the front window in so I've pre masked that (in the background top right) although I'm a bit unsure how I'm going to work the moulded wipers at this stage 

37400198535_021fe0e0d4_b.jpg

37210777786_284eae9331_b.jpg

37210776616_c027dd4583_b.jpg

I'm learning as I go trying to work out the best way to assemble a helicopter and manage the glass and masking and painting but it's a lot of fun and exactly the no stress simple build I was looking for

Cheers for now

• Like 11

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Great progress, Bruce :clap: Helicopters aren't my thing, but I must say I'm enjoying this :popcorn:

Ciao

You are very kind Giorgio.

My skills are not of a very high standard but I do enjoy the build.

Looking forward to getting the main construction done and moving to paint and decals for my first ever RAAF variant of anything.

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm terribly slow with builds and as usual I came to a shuddering halt with the clear parts

Not having built helicopters before I just couldn't get my head around the best thing to do

The glass is vastly different to the clear framed canopies of aircraft. 

Lots of it sits flush. Not really much framework. I ended up doing a few different things

I re-masked the windscreen to try and get paint on the wipers moulded into the clear plastic. Not sure it's going to work terribly well but that's what I'm doing.

I then trimmed the mask around the window and popped it in place. I don't think I'll even glue it not sure

The side pilot rectangular and triangular windows I struggled with. Ended up brush painting the final colour carefully around the glass and when dry I filled the glass to the edge with Maskol.

I will then spray final coats and then remove the maskol. Even if the Maskol masking isn't "perfect" and maybe some is on the main body but because I prepainted around the edges I'm hoping it will come out okay when I peel it off

I have prepainted around the top green glass as well and will use the same technique and do the same on the nose underside clear parts (prepainting there needs olive drab and flat black)

For the doors I am leaving the glass out for the time being. I will temporarily fix the doors to the body when I spray (with tape masking the window holes from behind)  and then glue the glass in and  move them to the "open" position at the end

Here's two shots to give the progress.

Cheers

37532245222_06862a445a_b.jpg

37305408420_7ba89d911c_b.jpg

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, giemme said:

Looks good to me, Bruce :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio

She's looking rough and it's not perfect at all but I think it will come together okay with the monochrome Olive Drab for the scheme.

Salute!

37334091190_ef1cb5681e_b.jpg

This is what I have left to go

I sprayed the yellow band and will mask that off for the Olive Drab main scheme

As I build (and generally later in the process) I like to trim the sprues down to the remaining parts and numbers where I can.

I discard the redundant sprues and extraneous bits and pieces into the ever present makeshift cardboard box bin  (anything useful goes into the spare parts tub)

It must be psychological but it just feels like I have less to finish and that I am getting closer to the end! :)

Cheers

• Like 7

A little more progress.

I've got the main colour on and just dry fitted a few bits.....at least it's starting to look like a Huey!

I've used Tamiya XF-62 enamel for the Olive Drab. The colours good but the paint has remained "sticky" and not really matted off.

No problem it's not matt as I have gloss coats and decals to go and then a final matt spray but the "stickiness" and "tackiness" at the moment is a bit annoying. Oh well.

37389944930_b1070116cf_b.jpg

The black on the front was masked off and sprayed after the XF-62 and came up pretty well and the previously sprayed and masked yellow band at the rear seems to have worked okay too

37648945571_21376bcf97_b.jpg

I'll take the dry fitted rotors off and get a coat of Future on in preparation for decals and some weathering and final details

I'm thinking a sort of dusty brownish effect if I can work out how to do it.....LOL

Only a few bibs and bobs to go. 

She's not perfect and I'm not winning any competitions but I'm enjoying the build and I'm looking forward to having an RAAF variant in the cabinet of glory soon...... hopefully!

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 6

She might be tacky, but sure looks smooth :clap:  :clap: 

For the dusty effect, you could try the sponge technique with different brown/earth/tan shades, I guess ...

Ciao

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, giemme said:

She might be tacky, but sure looks smooth :clap:  :clap: 

For the dusty effect, you could try the sponge technique with different brown/earth/tan shades, I guess ...

Ciao

Buongiorno Giorgio and grazie for the tip!

I'll have to get a decent gloss coat and some decals on before anything else happens......hopefully I can manage not to stuff that up lol.

Have to say your two 1/48 Italian builds are looking fantastic

All the best

Bruce

• Like 1