Nakajima A6M2-N Rufe

Foxbat

I was browsing Hannant's for something to put with a paint order to make up minimum postage when I stumbled over the venerable Tamiya A6M2-N (Rufe) for a measly £10.50. Reviews on the interwebs said it was eminently buildable, so at that price it would have been rude not to.

I'm sure there's a couple of eagle eyed readers going "Eh, A6M, that's a Mitsubishi Zero", and you'd normally be dead on. The clue is in the -N suffix, showing the original aircraft had been modified for a new role (see also the A6M2-K two seat trainer) . Nakajima were commissioned to produce a floatplane version of the Mitsubishi carrier based fighter for service among Pacific islands where conventional airstrips either hadn't been built or hadn't been conquered yet. It was intended as an interim design until the Kawanishi N1K came into service (see my other build), but some of the 297 built survived until the end of the war. Apart from the floats, it also got a new, enlarged rudder.

Tamiya supply 7 marking options, so I have the option to build an early overall grey version as seen in the Aleutians or a later, repainted grey/green version more often seen in the Solomons. Since the Kyofu will be grey/green, I'm thinking the early one would make a nice contrast, but it depends what takes my fancy from the options in the box. Speaking of which, this is that box:

SWqovar.jpg

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Got these decals in an attempt to avoid the problems I had with the Rex. Tempted to go with the third scheme as I have found a reasonable colour match for the orange yellow from a link to Nick Millman's blog. I can't find any pictures of orange Rufes though, and Nick linked to another article which suggested the fourth scheme should be grey with black numbers rather than orange and red, so I'm having serious doubts.

Here are the scheme:

W4jwKRp.jpg

What says the hive mind? I want something simple, and the first scheme will not be as I'll have to mask and colour match the stripes, but if the orange airframe is spurious, I may as well use the kit decals. Decisions, decisions...

Andy

Confused in Crook 

• Like 2

I can't speak for the accuracy of the orange scheme but either the grey or the orange schemes would look beautiful in my opinion.

Cheers

Jaime

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Andy ( @Foxbat ),

Have you started this build already?

Cheers

Jaime

Not yet Jaime. Really must do something about that :( 

Andy

Stalled in the stalls.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 3:08 AM, Foxbat said:

Got these decals in an attempt to avoid the problems I had with the Rex. Tempted to go with the third scheme as I have found a reasonable colour match for the orange yellow from a link to Nick Millman's blog. I can't find any pictures of orange Rufes though, and Nick linked to another article which suggested the fourth scheme should be grey with black numbers rather than orange and red, so I'm having serious doubts.

Hi Andy,

That looks a great additional choice for the GB, but it's a pity about the doubts for orange. What about a prototype Rufe? Surely one of those was orange with black/blue-black anti-glare patch??

Good luck with the conundrum!

Regards,

David

15 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Hi Andy,

That looks a great additional choice for the GB, but it's a pity about the doubts for orange. What about a prototype Rufe? Surely one of those was orange with black/blue-black anti-glare patch??

Good luck with the conundrum!

Regards,

David

Thanks David. 

To compound the problem, Tamiya provide decals for the second and fourth schemes on that sheet - both in overall grey, and give the tail number for the bottom scheme in black. Think that makes the decision for me. I'll do the second scheme from the sheet, but in grey, using a mix of kit and sheet decals, as the aircraft number is different on the aftermarket sheet.

I haven't been totally remiss in the meantime. This dropped through the letterbox last week. It's the 1/72 Hobby Boss A5M2 'Claude', and whilst not eligible for the GB, it is a fun little build while I'm pondering. This IJNAF thing is proving quite addictive :) 

pOGLxxK.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

This IJNAF thing is proving quite addictive :) 

Hi Andy,

I know what you mean – it's such an interesting and varied area for modellers. Nice Claude – I have a Fujimi Claude kit waiting to be built. If that's your bag, I noticed on the Aviation of Japan site, there are some new kits of rare/early Claude versions:

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2017/11/avi-172-a5m1-a5m3a-claude.html

Best of luck with the Rufe.

Regards,

David

• 3 weeks later...

Some good ideas there. They'll have to wait though - I'm going to withdraw this build from the GB. I haven't started yet, and I still have the Rex to finish. I've got a couple of weeks off over Christmas, so it time is kind I might go for a 1/72 blitz build.

There are two other rather good Rufes in progress, so the type is still well represented.

Andy

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Hi Andy,

Sorry to know you won't be building this one. I hope you find a suitable kit for the "blitzbuild"!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. I have three other Japanese subjects, and something from World War 1 that has potential as it isn't a biplane and doesn't need a mass of rigging. In fact I bought it specially for just this eventuality ;) 

Andy

• Like 1