Hi

wulliebad

Hi forum,its 1.30am and just in from work so a very quick hello then off to sleep.

Started building models as a kid and stayed with it for a few years before moving off onto other stuff as i left school,got a job and driving licence...ect.

I have just come home to scotland after 20 years away and when i moved into my house i decided i needed another hobby as 2 were not enough, so  by pure accident (went to a car boot to buy some music and bought a model) got back into model building after a little 30 year break,

Good god but prices have gone up...and the internet is making it very hard not to spend spend spend....but my willpower is holding.....slightly.

I have a very small stash and started my first model last week,it will be a very simple build without any of that new fangled weathering ect....one thing at a time eh.

I had forgotten how slow brush painting a model can be so i have ordered compressor and air brush,i have bought 2 nice and cheap lindberg models at £2.99 each to practice on so when it goes pear shape its no big deal....lol.

When i was building before i thought £7 for a 1:32 was big money but good god some are £60 and i think they are just mid range.

Ok enough rambling from me,its late, im tired.

Thank you for letting me join the forum,i look forward to getting to know the place better.

Wulliebad.

Hello Wulliebad ... welcome to Britmodeller from an American. Welcome back to modelling ... we all seem to leave and find our way back as im sure others will also tell you. I mostly do WW2 and ColdWar  aircraft and the occasional tank to break up the time. If i can help with anything just ask ? 

Although the purchase price of some models seem very high, in real terms I think modelling still constitutes a cheap and affordable hobby. You can still get kits at what would be considered pocket money prices. And the cost of some items of equipment, such as airbrushes and compressors, are a fraction of what they were 40 years ago when inflation and earnings are taken into account. Of course you can pay a fortune for things if you want to, but there are plenty of bargains to be had.

I'm sure you will enjoy your return to the hobby - it's never been so varied or vibrant, I think.

• Like 1

Welcome to BM Wulliebad.

The prices have gone up a little in the last thirty years, but fortunately the quality has as well. £60 is well above what I'm will to pay as well, but depending on what kits you model, you still can get good kits for not a lot, I rarely pay more than £25.

Your are going about it the right way – introduce new techniques gradually. But I'm concerned that those Lindberg kits might put you off the hobby – Lindberg are at the bottom of the quality kits pile – just one level up from 'Starfix'.

As you mention 1/32 I assume you're into aircraft, the best quality 'cheap' kits in my opinion are 'Eduard', but they mainly do 1/48 & 1/72 . You can often get Revel 1/32 for bargain prices, but the quality can be a bit variable. You still can get bargains on certain auction sites if you keep your eyes open – just don't bid on the same stuff as me :fight:

I hope you enjoy your return to modelling as much as I do.

Gorby