Best option for a 1/72 scale FW 190D?

Mitch K

Hello Mitch ... I would say Academy, Hobbyboss, and Tamiya all do D-9's in 1/72. Ive built the 48th scale Tamiya and can vouch for it. Im guessing Tamiya just downsized the molds. All 3 are relatively inexpensive. I think all 3 fall under $20.00 so not real bad. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Additional
  • Like 1

I have the Tamiya, Hasegawa, Academy, and Italeri kits; I would rate the Tamiya and the Hasegawa above the other two and they are pretty much equal when it comes to being accurate in shape and dimension; the Tamiya kit has slightly better detail parts and interior, but the Hasegawa kit has slightly better fabric texture and main gear struts. Both have some small detail issues that are easily corrected, such as closed cowl flaps on the Tamiya kit; if you have the excellent Valiant Wings Fw-190D-9/Ta-152 book, you can read their kit reviews as well as photos and diagrams of the features of each section of the airplane. The main issue with all of the above-mentioned kits is the wheel bays, as all of them are too shallow and have the wells enclosed, when the inner section  should be open with the piping and the rear section of the engine visible. The Aoshima new-tool Ta-152's got this correct, and I intend to either use the wheel bay details from one of my Aoshima kits or copy the parts using plasticard and sprue/wire. The Academy kit, according to some sources, is a knock-off of the Hasegawa kit, and they do look very, very similar. You can find the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits pretty cheaply, so either one, with some detailing and aftermarket cockpit/etched bits would give you a very good Dora model. I haven't seen the AZ Models D-9's- they might be more accurate but likely not as good in the fit department. Most of the newer 1/48 D-9 kits have very accurate and detailed wheel bays and could be used as a guide to scratchbuild them in 1/72 scale. Hope this helps!

Mike

• Like 3