Modified Boeing 247 - Williams Bros. 1/72nd-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great looking project.

I got a special fondness for this plane when I photographed the last flying 247D arriving in Seattle and got a chance to shoot the interior and up under the wheel wells where the pilots signed her after the final flight. Just a beautiful airplane, and your project is capturing that quite well.

This is my first post here and I haven't figured out how to include a photo for inspiration... but by this stage you've already been inspired enough.

Keep up the great work.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Great looking project.

I got a special fondness for this plane when I photographed the last flying 247D arriving in Seattle and got a chance to shoot the interior and up under the wheel wells where the pilots signed her after the final flight. Just a beautiful airplane, and your project is capturing that quite well.

This is my first post here and I haven't figured out how to include a photo for inspiration... but by this stage you've already been inspired enough.

Keep up the great work.

Welcome Ol' Scrapiron, and thanks for your kindness. Regarding posting photos, seasoned members or moderators surely can provide some assistance, but the process involves uploading your photos to a hosting service or photo repository -I use Flickr, which is free- and then just paste the link to the image on your post or reply.

Somewhere on this site there is a good tutorial on how to, but I can't find it at the moment.

Cheers

Details varied from plane to plane and airline to airline (and with different engines and cowls and props and windshields), to establish what was where in your particular model look at photos (and not at drawings).

In this case -and still to be added (the kit doesn't provide some of the following):

Antenna from fin to cockpit roof and then to nose to an insulator. Antenna under the nose. Some air intakes and exhausts adjacent to the nacelles on the wing. At one point my plane had black stab leading edges, absent in some photos. Rudder trim tab actuator. Landing lights and anti-glare shields. Nose cargo hatch, pilot's exit hatch, landing gear, nav lights, cargo door, passengers door, engines, engine cowls, restroom window, exhaust pipes, props and a couple other things plus decals.

It's deceiving to see the model so close to completion and think that you are, actually, close to completion. The list above underlines that.

Now I see the "Insert other media" button.

You are in the final stages, so these probably will not affect how you proceed to the finish line... but I have a few personal shots of the elements you mention as still yet to do. (antennas, hatches, lights, exhaust pipes and intakes, etc.)

My photos of the Boeing 247D arriving at Museum of Flight in Seattle, so you may not have seen them when you were doing research.

Boeing-Model-247-Final-Flight-April-26-2

The top antenna only went part way back (at least on this example) and not to the fin. Good view of the two rods below the nose and intakes at root of engine nacelle.

---

actuators on rudder and elevator trim 

---

wing landing light detail from both wings

----

247D-MoF-10-07-4415.jpg

wingtip nav lights

247D-MoF-10-07-4416.jpg

----

side door hinges and latch

---

note that cockpit antenna is off center to the left and not strait, but leans outward

I will limit my tardy offerings to these shots as they address the specific items you mentioned. I wish I had seen your build from the beginning, but it was fun catching up with it all in one sitting. Looking forward to seeing the color scheme you chose.

• Like 2

Hi Ol' Scrapiron

Thanks for the photos, appreciated.

We may notice that they depict details that were not present or were different in the many 247s produced (that in turn were many times modified by users).

Those parts for the model were already made in advance, and so the only thing that remains is to glue them on after decaling.

You mentioned color scheme, and indeed there were many, but if you read all the thread, or just above what you have posted, you will see that I am reproducing a National Parks Airways machine, just in a patchwork anodic grey, and I already posted the decal sheet I commissioned from Arctic Decals. It's not a particularly showy scheme, but I am making the case for the National Parks, now sadly and incomprehensibly threatened.

Antenna positions and types -and many other details- as said varied greatly among the 247s, so modelers have to refer to the photos portraying the specific machine they want to model if they want an accurate replica.

I am sure your photos will be very useful for modelers depicting the livery you photographed and other 247s, so thanks again for your kindness.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Moa said:

It's not a particularly showy scheme, but I am making the case for the National Parks, now sadly and incomprehensibly threatened.

Yeah, who'd have thought that was going to happen? :rage: 

Will the decals become part of Arctic decals range?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Yeah, who'd have thought that was going to happen? :rage: 

Will the decals become part of Arctic decals range?

Yes, they will. But not until March or so. I have already printed a bunch of those decals, but they are still without instructions. If someone needs just the decals now, you can contact straight with me via email.

Mika

Arctic Decals

• Thanks 1

This is a fantastic chronicle of a beautiful build, that will most assuredly be highly rewarding. So glad you have shared this. But please...please...BORE US with the "ensuing decaling and adding of small parts!" That's what this forum is for! Seem that for us civil builders, what seems boring to many is exciting to us few! Bravo!

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2018 at 3:01 PM, Challenger350Pilot said:

This is a fantastic chronicle of a beautiful build, that will most assuredly be highly rewarding. So glad you have shared this. But please...please...BORE US with the "ensuing decaling and adding of small parts!" That's what this forum is for! Seem that for us civil builders, what seems boring to many is exciting to us few! Bravo!

Hi Challenger

Thanks for your kindness.