Modified Boeing 247 - Williams Bros. 1/72nd-

Here is the ongoing project, a Williams Bros. in National Parks Airways livery.

The well-known, old, venerable kit is the base for some upgrades, further detailing the interior adding the nose hatch and mail compartment, opening the hatch for the aft cargo compartment, creating the much needed restroom for the relief of those poor 1/72 passengers -with toilet and paper roll, made of actual paper-, adding the luggage nets and so on.

The kit is actually, for its age, quite workable, with refinements missing many times from much modern kits

IMG_8763.JPG

IMG_8764.JPG

IMG_8765.JPG

IMG_8766.JPG

• Like 8

Indeed, Grumpy Git.

Many civil planes, including their famous racer series.

And Trevor, yes, the kit is old and it shows, but overall is better than many kits released much later in time.

I found the engines quite acceptable, actually, they have a ribbed gearbox, the bolt heads, the pushrods. You may want to replace them with current up-to-date resin renditions if available, but again, they are in tune with the rest of the detail (raised panel lines, for example) so I have chosen to use the kit's engines. The props, for example, have the balance weights and cuffs, a detail many times missing from newer kits.

Also, there are so many liveries for this 247 that is mind-boggling. Some I have seen offered online, some are in the kit's options, depending on the particular issue of the kit. But if you can make your own decals, or can commission them (I did) then the horizon is vast, with at least 20/25 sort of known users, and many more with arcane companies with unfortunately insufficient data to produce accurate decals.

For those curious, there is a book: The Boeing 247, The First Modern Airliner, by Van der Linden.

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi Dennis

Of course a little time is needed, but I found that the more you build the less time it takes. I also count on being prepared. Those curtains, for example, that I have used in many models, were printed in different types, sizes and colors long ago in one go, precisely to have them available for future use. Same with the toilet and toilet roll, made long ago in different sizes and types as one was then needed for another project. 

It doesn't make the model build itself, but it helps. I have a little container with scratched spare seats, control columns and the like, made as a surplus whilst building other models.

Since I invariably scratch either the entire model or part of it (as in this case) having the parts ready helps.

All this of course is known by all modelers...but we hardly do it ;-)

• Like 2

Hi Trevor

Indeed you remember correctly, it comes with the two options, rubber and plastic wheels. I went for the plastic ones. Modelers are not confident about using the rubber wheels provided with some kits for fear of rubber degradation. I have been using O rings as wheels for about 17 years or so in scratch projects and they all look fine. It may depend on the rubber composition and what kind of paint/varnish is used on them. 

This old kit continues to surprise me in a positive way. It has, as mentioned before, its shortcomings, but some details are very good. Speaking of transparencies, the windows have very well formed thin lips, and their fit on the fuselage side is perfect. Of the let's say 30 modern kits I have recently built in the last year and a half, only one had a good comparable window fit.

Oldie but goldie.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the confirmation about the wheels. I think part of the reluctance to use the rubber wheels was also that they look too 'black' and shiny.

Your stepped back canopy looks much clearer than I remember it!

Trevor

The sanding, putting, priming part can be a journey in itself. Take heart and persevere as good work here is rewarded. I like the finish on your props. Very nice. 

Thanks, Abat.

Your comment is particularly true in regard of metal finishes, as in this case. An added layer here is the "anodized grey" of the 247, which renders a kind of patchy, greyish metal sheen.

I enjoy a lot construction, especially adding details and modifying things, and above all scratchbuilding, but meticulously hate and abhor finishing the surfaces and painting.

I eventually return to a normal Dr. Jekyll condition at the time of applying the decals and add the last details.

You’re making good progress there.

Looking through some old photos I forgot that I had these. Taken by me at the Science Museum in Wroughton sometime back in the 80’s. 

37229633800_0361303f5d_b.jpg

37229630040_017fccac4f_b.jpg

Hope they are of some use.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Trevor

Interesting and nice pictures, thanks for sharing them and for the 80's feeling ;-)

I am going for the National Parks Airways livery, because I feel like making a very small (1/72 ;-) contribution to bring awareness to the fact that the National Parks in the country I live on are being threatened.

• Like 1