Short S.23 Empire flying boat

Evening Mike

Looking forward to the next instalment 

Have a look at Bristol Boys Blackburn Iris in this GB, he has used a rattle can to paint the wings and it looks the business.

Im planning on doing the same for my Blackburn Perth, just need to find out where he go the stuff from !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Pat; that finish on the Iris is quite nice.  I've bought a can of Halfords Aluminium and will attempt the NMF version, just 'cause I like those stuffin' great wheels on the plane!

Mike

• Like 2

Hi Bootneck, 

I've been quietly watching your vac from the back row, always good to see someone else having a go, I think they are very rewarding and frustrating in equal measure. Love Halfords for paint and have used their aluminium in the past, my Iris is sprayed with a can from Wilkos!

Look forward to your next instalment.

Edited by bristol boy
Auto corrector changed Wilko's

Hi Mike,

I'm sure you'll manage to achieve a good NMF. It's not that hard as long as you ensure a very smooth primed surface. Black primer should give great results (I still have only used grey primer with NMF though).

Cheers

Jaime

Yes, that was my second choice but I think I shall stay with the first choice and attempt the NMF.  We've all got to give it a go a some stage in our modelling career! :S 

Mike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bootneck said:

My understanding of this, and other images, taken at the time was when Winston Churchill flew to the US for a meeting?

Likely, I am not sure. I took this photo from RC forum (link below) - it looks that shot was done at NY, 1942 (with question tag).

https://img.rcgroups.com/http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos Two/ShortEmpire-boat-NY-1942.jpg?h=FHZ2Gy7cmJzE2o-xK6Swow

Please note that photo is via PB - so it can vanish soon ;).

Here is S 30 used as transport plane of King George

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39411748@N06/6512447175

And here is very interesting story on shot another Empier by Japaneese fighter

http://www.baaa-acro.com/1942/archives/crash-of-a-short-s-23-empire-flying-boat-in-kupang-13-killed/

The last one is my favorite :). One day I wish to do her in 1/72

Cheers

J-W

Mike, I don't think you should let your choice of finish dictate your display style, regardless of finish, the beaching gear option is still relevant for all of them, they all had to come up onto the hard at some stage.

Steve.

I re-primed the fuselage, to check for any lumps or bumps, and found that the roof has a distinct concave effect along the spine.  A little sanding shows the area concerned and I'll need to build that up with Milliput and sand to shape.

empire_flying_boat_17.jpg

Another little item that is causing a bit of work is engine cowlings.  I had intended to use a set of Aeroclub cowlings, as seen in the first image,  but the diameter is too large; or the kit engine mounts are too narrow, so I am going to experiment by scratchbuilding some new ones.  Parts for the first one is shown on the black strip in the foreground of the image above.

Apart from the points mentioned, the build seems to be coming along nicely and I'm gaining good experience whilst doing this.

Mike

• Like 10

15 hours ago, bootneck said:

I had intended to use a set of Aeroclub cowlings, as seen in the first image,  but the diameter is too large; or the kit engine mounts are too narrow,

I think that main difference between Short Empire S23 and S30 was in different engines, resulting in different cowlings. Perhaps there is a problem. Aeroclub parts are know for their prcisson...

J-W

I agree with you completely on the accuracy of Aeroclub parts; the problem must be with the kit.

As can be seen here, apologies for the picture quality, the cowling is too large for the engine mount on the kit.

empire_flying_boat_18_aeroclub_cowlings.

Progress on the scratchbuild can be seen on the right.  Plodding on.

Mike

• Like 6

Work on the engine is coming along nicely; I would like to add more detail but it is sooooo tiny!

empire_flying_boat_19_engine_1.jpg

If the finished item, when painted etc., looks OK then I may do one engine with the cowling removed, as in a maintenance setting.  Just not too sure yet.

empire_flying_boat_20_engine_2.jpg

Mike

• Like 6

The cowling is just styrene tube (Evergreen/Plastruct type).  I used a piece of 11mm (approx) for the outer case and fitted a 9.5mm piece inside that to give the front thickness.  Then just gentle filing to round off the edges to conform to shape.  The outer dimensions are reduced to match the model, rather than being exact; otherwise I could have just used the Aeroclub set.

Mike

• Like 3

I've managed to spend a little time building up the indentation in the spine with Milliput and it seems to have worked OK.

empire_flying_boat_21_milliput_spine.jpg

So, back to where I started with an application of black, ready for the alumimimimun alyminion, alumminnim NMF.

empire_flying_boat_22_black_primer.jpg

Work is still proceeding on the engine mount and cowling and I hope to have some pictures of that soon.

Mike

• Like 9

Only a little bit of progress so far; mainly as I keep experimenting on which way to go with this.  I have added patches of tape here and there, to match paint changes on areas seen on photo's.  I will give the model a light coat of alluminium, remove the tape then add another light coat.

empire_flying_boat_22a_patches_on_black_

Here, the model has been painted but then I decided to open up some doors and hatches and modify the engine mount on one side.  I have also cut out two slots either side of the engine and these will have maintenance platforms, for work on the engine (hopefully!).

empire_flying_boat_23_hatches_opened.jpg

It all looks a little untidy at the moment, some areas needed a little surfacer adding and, once these are cleaned up, I shall re-spray the model again; ready for the next phase.

Mike

• Like 6

Hi Mike, glad to see you are working on this one (I only pop in and out very rarely so I missed it, how are you doing?)

I always loved the old Empire birds so I will pop back often

On the NMF you could do some panels under the alu in blues, yellows and white

The different base gives slightly different aluminum at the end

I love your new engines, they look the biz mate

Thanks Bill, I'm still very new to this; in fact it is my first ever NMF build (although I have only been building kits since 1958) so it's more of an experiment thing.

The idea of different undercoats is interesting and I'll give it a try.  First I need to sand back all the paint as it will get a bit over-thick otherwise:

empire_flying_boat_24_sanding_back_to_ba

That didn't take very long and everything is back to basics again:

empire_flying_boat_25_sanded_back_to_bas

A fresh coat of black has been added.  No, it's not a previous old image repeated; I've included this Ozmod's Hawk T.1 (which is another current build) as proof!

empire_flying_boat_26_reprimed_plus_hawk

Before going mad on the paintwork, I thought I'd do a test pattern sheet to see the effects of these colours under the topcoat.

empire_flying_boat_27_test_colour_chart.

The model has been re-sprayed but the different shades are not obvious in this image, although they are there.

empire_flying_boat_28_repainted_aluminiu

The windows need to be repainted, plus doors, hatches and work platforms adding then I can move onto the floats.  Moulds of the engine and cowlings have been done and I just need to make some resin casts.

It doesn't look as if I have achieved anything to date; however, I have learned something and tried something different so that cannot be a bad thing.  I'm now going off to do some more on my two Catalina's for this GB.

Hope to be back soon.

Mike

• Like 4