German Army Boxer, Afghanistan

Doc72

Hi guys,

I experienced a short relapse into armour modelling. This is the 1/72 kit from Revell which is a fine little kit with a very high level of details and good fit. I always try to base my model as close as possible on photos of the real thing. Therefore, I had to make some additions in the form of storage at the rear of the vehicle, a rolled tarp and a kind of exhaust cover on the left, a towing cable on the right and the antenna with the flag (aluminium foil).

I had the impression that the paint scheme suggested in the kit's instructions does not match the real thing, so made my own interpretations based on photos. The new(ish) German desert colours (Umtarnfarben) are a confusing subject, however, and even the Boxer carried several versions in Afghanistan. Finally I also build a small base for the Boxer.

Some work-in-progress pics of the model and the base can be found at the end of this post.

Any comments welcome.

CqowwjW.jpg

923gZyY.jpg

IaO8Fgh.jpg

OZuz0pB.jpg

e6uY9hi.jpg

Like on the real thing, the cabin is actually removeable. Nevertheless, I glued it in place.

R0yCRVC.jpg

Small modifications visible here: jerry can at the rear and a kind of rolled tarp as exhaust cover on the front left.

bDe7ZCC.jpg

Weathered tires and a photo of the real thing (non-weathered).

X8VBCil.jpg

Base made from foam board...

zqgBYSx.jpg

... and covered with toilet paper and thinned white glue. Later a mixture of wood putty, sand and pigments was added.

6O6a4Ma.jpg

In the middle of the base is an area which is still even with no gravel added so that the Boxer can sit even without any of the eight wheels floating in the air.

iqMFuOV.jpg

With paint and (sparse) vegetation.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...