Deleted

And some colour starting to go on!

Thinned 50/50 with colourcoats own thinner, 0,3mm needle at 15psi. Built up with lots of squiggles to allow some variation over the black. More of a progressive pic below. 

IMG_1262.jpg

Once again it seems the Duke is just as delighted with these paints too! 

Can't ask for a better endorsement than that can you @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies

'As aproved by HRH' 

:D

IMG_1264.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Superb!

Geeky fact - when I was 20 I was appointed Lord Lieutenant's Cadet and did the local Royal functions for a year and attended the Queen's Garden Party once.

I met Duke just the once and was terribly disappointed. I had really hoped he'd say something outrageous/hillarious but he was just kinda normal :(

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

<Serious thread drift warning> 

In 1980 I was a junior member of staff on the Air Cadet gliding school at RAFBenson. One day we saw a person leave the apron where the Queens Flight Andover was parked to walk towards the winch cables laid out on the grass. The CO realising that this could hazard our operations sent me in the Landrover to  redirect the walker. As I approached the walker I then impolitely shouted at him to get out of the way. Only then did I recognised the walker and quickly returned to the launch point where the CO asked me if I'd cleared the cables. My reply was "I've just told Prince Philip to eff off." :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Great build so far, Tony! I wanted this one when I first read about it last year. I am waiting for it to hit the stores here in the USA. Seeing your build just makes it harder to wait.

Will be following this one.

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this step by step WIP Tony; extremely detailed and informative.

How strong does the nose wheel undercarriage leg look? In another manufacturer's kits; once enough nose weight was added, I had a little trouble with that part snapping/bending. 

Given your description of the qualities of the plastic; it looks like this Airfix kit part will be a lot more promising and strong. Very nice cockpit interior and canopy :thumbsup2:

Best regards
TonyT

• Like 1

As promised, Wednesday paint update. So the lowers were done in the blue last Friday. 

These were ordered Saturday, posted Monday and arrived today ready and waiting when I got home. 

From our own @Sean_M via ebay. 

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

First I masked off the engines and used the blue demarcation strip, then I went for the colourcoats  RLM 82 light green first, built up roughly where it needs to be. 
IMG_1322.jpg

Then I started to mottle the tail with the RLM 81 to let the green dry a little longer before masking it off. 

0.2mm needle. Lovely. By the way the green was sprayed around the blue with a 0.3mm. 
IMG_1323.jpg

Green masked and 81 done, demarcation strips still on. 

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

Then the strips were removed and the green and brown mottled onto the blue along fuselage and engines. More of a soft edge than a  proper mottle job on this later scheme. 

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Overall upper views:

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

Not bad for two hours work, including touching up some blue before doing the mottles where the masks lifted it back to plastic in a couple places.  

Going to do a little fading and highlighting of panels later I think... time for tea. 

Thanks for looking 👍🏿

• Like 22

Just now, Darby said:

Have you pinged the end of your pitot?

Good spot! 

Yeah lost that when I pulled the tape off that was covering the green wingtip. A bit too excited I reckon... 

Fortunately it seems to be around the place where it tapers/changes to silver so I can add the tip of a pin or similar at the end of the build. 

6 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Good spot! 

Yeah lost that when I pulled the tape off that was covering the green wingtip. A bit too excited I reckon... 

Fortunately it seems to be around the place where it tapers/changes to silver so I can add the tip of a pin or similar at the end of the build. 

Looks like the same place as mine. Tried the end of a pin and stuck it in my thumb, stretched sprue dropped onto my finger after it caught a flame so have gone with a less dangerous method of thin rod. 

If you have any decaling pitfalls as I'm going to the box top let me know as I'll have spares for the scheme you're doing.

Edited by Darby
spelling
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Those paints behaved perfectly I'd say!

Yeah loving the colourcoats 👍🏿

Nice and hassle free, can just get on with painting rather than getting the acrylic stars to align...

Behaved well too on one of the eduard spitfires I did, which reminds me I need to resurrect that lot. 

Also bought colourcoats USN Greys so looking forward to doing a tomcat in them. 

Too much I'd like to do,

Not enough time... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tony,

It really nice to see how a model turns out using the masks. I spend days researching and trying to get them just right. The envelopes go out the door and that is the last I hear. Not that I am complaining...there are no complaints. Good job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1