Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire Vb - 485(NZ) Sqn

Smithy

First off sorry this initial post has one solitary photo but I thought I'd start this in the Work in Progress section to spur me on. This is the first time that I've done any modelling in 3 and a half years as moving country, small children, work and fly fishing have intervened. However with the days getting shorter I finally dug into the stash and pulled the Tamiya 1/72 Spit Vb out. This will be a bit special for me as I will be making this as the mount of an old golfing mate of my father and a fellow I was fortunate enough to visit and talk with several times about his experiences during the war. I picked up the recent DK Decals 485 Sqn sheet the other week which has the airframe I want to do but unfortunately the serial number is wrong so I'll only be using the codes and nose art - not a biggie though.

As she'll have the canopy closed I didn't go to town with the cockpit apart from adding some Eduard seatbelts. I also had to remove the wing strakes and also the headrest as this airframe didn't have them. As can be seen the fuselage is buttoned up so with a bit of cleaning up, putting the canopy on and masking it, and it'll be time for paint.

Lovely little kit by the way.

pmjgWVK.jpg

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best of photos but a bit of an update with a photo from this morning. Canopy is on with its Parafilm-M masking (in this pic it's before the DG paint which I put on later this afternoon and this evening and also cleaned up the gap under the front section of the canopy). There were a few other touch ups here and there but I'm pretty happy with how she's coming together. She'll be on ice for the next 2 or 3 days for the paint to cure before applying some Pledge Extra Protection Wax (the first time I've used this as I didn't ship my Klear over when moving here, so that'll be interesting - actually I've tested it on some old painted plastic and it's passed with flying colours). I've also tentatively started another kit, a 1/72 Airfix new tool Spitfire Mk. Ia which I'm converting to a IIa using the 3D Kits conversion set from a few years back and also in 485(NZ) Sqn markings but that's for another thread.

Once again apologies for the rather bad photo!

IYVBhPS.jpg

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well a small update. This has been on hold for a month or so after I started trying to use Humbrol's Decalfix for the first time. I didn't bring my Micro Sol over when we shifted country and I thought I'd have a stab with the DecalFix as it was available locally. Bloody glad I only used it on the underwing port roundel as it made a mess of it - the decal cracked and shattered in places and left a rather nasty residue. I promptly went online and orderd some Micro Sol which I had to wait for. Word of warning, be very careful with Decalfix.

Anyway got a fair way with the decalling today and yesterday, the underside is finished and nearly finished on the port side. Decals are a combo of kit, Carpena and DK Decals. Unfortunately DK's decals for this specific aircraft are incorrect as the serial code is wrong and it should have C roundels and later fin flash. Not a biggie to fix but a little sad as I've also seen quite a few other errors on DK's 485 Sqn sheet.

A few issues to fix (I used the Tamiya Sky fuselage band decal and it needs some bedding down, plus it's quite a different shade of Sky from the codes, I'm in two minds whether I'll paint over it but we shall see), but I'm generally happy with how it's coming along. Sorry, it's not the greatest of photos but I've been banished to the basement as the hobby room has been taken over with a whole lot of a relative's things which are in transit, and the lighting is terrible in the dungeon, added to that I've never been nor will I be a master modeller but it's nice to see it coming along. 

dMwZidO.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update...

For something which should be a fairly straightforward build this has been a bit of a trial of patience and one of those builds where pretty much every stage has had some small issue or problem arise.

I ended up masking the fuselage band and painting it as the kit decal was just too off in terms of colour (although it needs a couple of touch ups). So with that done I finally finished the decalling which was trying as the Tamiya decals were as they so often can be were problematic. The DK decals were fine but I destroyed one of the parts of the serials and so had to cobble together a replacement. I was feeling a touch lazy and thought I'd try using the leading edge decals from Tamiya instead of painting them as I usually have done so, well the Tamiya ones refused to cooperate completely. So I gloss coated again in preparation for masking of the leading edges and for a panel line wash and what happened but the Tamiya tape lifted part of the port upper wing roundel.:angry: Not the end of the world but annoying to say the least - which is very much the way this build has gone. Anyway I suppose I'm making progress although it feels like one step forward two steps back with all the little niggles that have arisen.

Z9Q8PnE.jpg

aiaCKjW.jpg

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Never give in ... Never surrender !

Thanks for the encouragement! I haven't given up just yet but I think I'll be pleased once this is on the home straight and the end is in sight ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Smithy remember we all have our “Demon” kit that no matter what just doesn't want to co-operate. 

Very true Corsair although this has been a comedy of errors.

I just fixed the upper port roundel problem 5 minutes ago with a piece of a spare Tamiya roundel decal but of course not before I lost to the carpet monster the first piece I cut out! Honestly you wouldn't read about it :doh:

• Like 1

I agree with you about Decalfix... Very messy, leaves residue - although that can be cleaned up - and weakens the decals considerably.  My biggest mistake was following the instructions to the letter.  Soaking the decals in decalfix is a bad, bad idea!!!  

I still I’ll have a ton of it left and I’ll be in the doghouse if I ask to get Micro Set/Sol or similar so i’ll have to stick with it, at least for my smaller builds.

Your Spit is looking superb in spite of the issues you have had!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BluesModeller said:

I agree with you about Decalfix... Very messy, leaves residue - although that can be cleaned up - and weakens the decals considerably.  My biggest mistake was following the instructions to the letter.  Soaking the decals in decalfix is a bad, bad idea!!!  

I still I’ll have a ton of it left and I’ll be in the doghouse if I ask to get Micro Set/Sol or similar so i’ll have to stick with it, at least for my smaller builds.

Your Spit is looking superb in spite of the issues you have had!

Thank you so much for your kind words BluesModeller! I'll never in a 1,000 lifetimes be as good as half the modellers here but it's nice to hear that someone is enjoying my hamfisted attempts :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well we're getting there, actually on the home stretch now. Since my last postings, I've repaired the port upper wing roundel, removed the rudder antenna anchor post (can't believe I missed that - still needs a lick of paint), another coat of Pledge, a panel line and sludge wash, matt varnish coat and the yellow wing leading edges masked and painted, and then gun patches made and attached. In truth they're probably a tad thin (the yellow wing leading edges) but I did not want to go anywhere near those Tamiya roundels with masking tape again so they are what they are. The exhaust stubs were installed and were initially painted with Humbrol 56 and then drybrushed with Humbrol 113 until I was happy with the look. They'll also be getting a dark grey/black wash tomorrow along with the undercarriage when I install that. The kit doesn't come with a rear view mirror but BM200 like most carried one so I've made one with thin plastic card which is being painted.

Still some weathering with pastels and some artists pencils once everything is assembled and then a final spray coat of Windsor and Newton's matt varnish. All going well I should have this finished in a day or two at which I shall take some decent photos using a camera rather than my phone!

Cheers,

Tim

R7eslsG.jpg

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

This is looking good despite the hassles you've had. I'm interested to see you've done it as Doug Brown's machine as illustrated here, Doug wrote a fine book of his wartime experiences, Wine Women & Song, a Spitfire Pilots Story well worth it to track a copy down.

Steve.

Thanks Steve for the kind words.

There's a bit of a special reason for me making this model as Doug was a good mate of my Dad, and they used to play golf together. He invited me round to his house several times to have a chat as he knew about my interest in WWII aviation and we used to spend hours talking about his war. Doug was a top bloke and one of the nicest chaps you could meet, he lent he books and signed a lot of my books relating to 485 Sqn. Sadly he passed away in September 2013 so unfortunately he won't see this little model but it's my very small tribute to him.

Couldn't agree more about "Wine, Women and Song", my copy which Doug signed is one of my most treasured books.

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1