Supacat Coyote and Jackal detail pictures.

LaurieS

Building the Coyote obviously Jackal similar.

Trying to get the detail of the parts within the vehicle. Found loads of photos of the outside of the vehicle

but none,  despite intensive searching, of the parts within the vehicle. I am after colours of various parts

little bits and pieces.

The 1/48 Airfix is a great model but there is a lack of colours for the superb detailing by Airfix.

Anyone with any pictures of those parts a copy would be very much appreciated.

Laurie

I think you may be onto a lost cause there I'm afraid. Given that they are both current issue, I would imagine that the MoD will be keeping a very close eye on what information gets out into the public domain.

If you have access to the Airfix Warrior instruction sheet, it may be worth looking at that for ideas, since I wold imagine that a lot of the ancillary equipment will be the same. If not, drop me a PM and I'll dig mine out of the stash to check.

I did see one interesting photo of Jackals on the way to Estonia a few months ago, painted green, but oddly they had been fitted with Desert Tan seat covers. Go figure.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bull-nut said:

I think you may be onto a lost cause there I'm afraid. Given that they are both current issue, I would imagine that the MoD will be keeping a very close eye on what information gets out into the public domain.

If you have access to the Airfix Warrior instruction sheet, it may be worth looking at that for ideas, since I wold imagine that a lot of the ancillary equipment will be the same. If not, drop me a PM and I'll dig mine out of the stash to check.

I did see one interesting photo of Jackals on the way to Estonia a few months ago, painted green, but oddly they had been fitted with Desert Tan seat covers. Go figure.

Thanks for taking the time to reply much appreciated. I thought this would be the case. Strange all the aircraft

I have built this year Harrier and Chinookthe detailed photos I found was phenomenal. 

Search and searched for the Jackal and the Coyote but just pictures of the vehicles externally. I have built the

Warrior and the Jackal. Had not thought to look there. Stupid.

A lot is on the Airfix instructions but I always like to delve into little detail. I am building 14 aircraft and vehicles for an

Afghanistan diorama.

Thanks again.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

Found some pictures on Google which are just perfect.

For any building either the Jackal or Coyote

https://www.google.com/search?q=dashboard+picture+jackal+vehicle&safe=active&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy0cX_1rHWAhXIL8AKHSucA9kQ7AkIMw&biw=1600&bih=748#imgrc=M7RRqF4KiMC11M:

Click on the smaller pictures to the right of the main picture showing the cockpit.

Laurie

• Thanks 1

The vehicles themselves are not sensitive, and they are frequently seen at events where the Army have a display presence, recruiting stands, etc.  Even the new Ajax scout was on public display at Bovington Tankfest, along with a Jackal.  There is a Jackal 1 in the museum at Bovington, although the doors are held shut to stop people clambering in.  A selfie stick will probably deal with that, but the rear compartments in the 1 and 2 are completely different. The rear compartment is actually pretty basic. 2 seats in the Jackal 2, radio and ammo can racks, a boiling vessel and not much else.  What you won't get to see are the actual radio installations, ECM gear etc.  Just the empty spaces.  There will be a close hold on that.  But there are images of Bowman sets on the web.  

Have you looked on the Supacat website?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

The vehicles themselves are not sensitive, and they are frequently seen at events where the Army have a display presence, recruiting stands, etc.  Even the new Ajax scout was on public display at Bovington Tankfest, along with a Jackal.  There is a Jackal 1 in the museum at Bovington, although the doors are held shut to stop people clambering in.  A selfie stick will probably deal with that, but the rear compartments in the 1 and 2 are completely different. The rear compartment is actually pretty basic. 2 seats in the Jackal 2, radio and ammo can racks, a boiling vessel and not much else.  What you won't get to see are the actual radio installations, ECM gear etc.  Just the empty spaces.  There will be a close hold on that.  But there are images of Bowman sets on the web.  

Have you looked on the Supacat website?

Thanks Das. Will do that. Thanks for the info.

Laurie

1 hour ago, BillS said:

Tankograd British Special no 9019 - Jackal and Coyote by Carl Schulze should give you all of the photos you need - both interior and exterior. 

Thanks BillS for replying. I will have a look. Had the Chinook one of the series very good reference items.

Thanks Laurie

I'd completely forgotten that I had the Tankograd book on the Jackal and Coyote.  That has several excellent photos of the interior of the driver's and rear compartments, including radios, GPS etc gear, as well as external pics.  Mostly on ops.  Well worth getting hold of.  Try Bookworld: I believe they're the UK Tankograd distributor.

I got very enthused about Jackal, Coyote and WMIK when I worked in the Protected Mobility project team at about the time that the Airfix kits appeared.  I did get to thrash a Jackal around Supacat's test track a few laps.  It's very easy to drive and has exceptional scary mobility, which the test track is laid out to demonstrate.  Two brake pedals, for left foot braking: no clutch, of course.  One day I'll treat myself to the Accurate Armour Supacats: when I have a spare couple of hundred quid for the pair!  They were produced in direct collaboration with Supacat, who use them as display and presentation models.  But I digress: I'm good at that.  

I did buy the Airfix kits when they were released, thinking them a cheaper alternative.  But I realised a few milliseconds after opening the boxes that the quality and accuracy were disappointingly poor and very many parts needed to be replaced.  Basic stuff like the tyres being completely the wrong pattern on poor wheels, rubbish mounted weapons, soft details, lots of parts clean-up and the list goes on.  After I'd spent nearly as much on after-market parts as buying the larger Accurate Armour kits I realised it was a losing battle, gave up and put it all on eBay.

In terms of AM parts, from memory I had: Airfix (Eduard!) etch frets; Gaso.Line new wheels and detail sets (which include an RB 0.50" barrel); another RB barrel for the spare; Black Dog detail sets; Red Zebra stowage sets, additional stowage and jerrycans; Hauler sand channels; Kingfisher ERM decals.

10 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I'd completely forgotten that I had the Tankograd book on the Jackal and Coyote.  That has several excellent photos of the interior of the driver's and rear compartments, including radios, GPS etc gear, as well as external pics.  Mostly on ops.  Well worth getting hold of.  Try Bookworld: I believe they're the UK Tankograd distributor.

I got very enthused about Jackal, Coyote and WMIK when I worked in the Protected Mobility project team at about the time that the Airfix kits appeared.  I did get to thrash a Jackal around Supacat's test track a few laps.  It's very easy to drive and has exceptional scary mobility, which the test track is laid out to demonstrate.  Two brake pedals, for left foot braking: no clutch, of course.  One day I'll treat myself to the Accurate Armour Supacats: when I have a spare couple of hundred quid for the pair!  They were produced in direct collaboration with Supacat, who use them as display and presentation models.  But I digress: I'm good at that.  

I did buy the Airfix kits when they were released, thinking them a cheaper alternative.  But I realised a few milliseconds after opening the boxes that the quality and accuracy were disappointingly poor and very many parts needed to be replaced.  Basic stuff like the tyres being completely the wrong pattern on poor wheels, rubbish mounted weapons, soft details, lots of parts clean-up and the list goes on.  After I'd spent nearly as much on after-market parts as buying the larger Accurate Armour kits I realised it was a losing battle, gave up and put it all on eBay.

In terms of AM parts, from memory I had: Airfix (Eduard!) etch frets; Gaso.Line new wheels and detail sets (which include an RB 0.50" barrel); another RB barrel for the spare; Black Dog detail sets; Red Zebra stowage sets, additional stowage and jerrycans; Hauler sand channels; Kingfisher ERM decals.

Quite the opposite Das I think it is a brilliant kit. Finished the Jackal and well into the Coyote.

The parts are so accurate that the only bits needing fill are those where I have messed up. Otherwise the joints are tight

the detail very good indeed. Having studied a lot of photos I would say it is very authentic much better than the average.

It is a joy to work. 100% better than the Italeri Chinook I have just completed.

Hardly had any sprue cleaning up what there is is very minor. The plastic must be grade one plastic as it is so pliable.

Very unlucky if you snap a part it just bends a bit and easy to straighten. Bought new wheels from Rhino which were

as cheap as chips. However the kit wheels are not that bad if you are cash strapped.

Also the Eduard marketed by Airfix is a very nice addition. Again if cash strapped then the kit is a good stand alone.

In the end it is what you make of it artistically after it has been constructed. Now built all the Airfix Helmand range including

the Merlin. Near to the top in quality.

Laurie

Well I can only say that I was personally very disappointed with the Supacats, the Snatch/WMIK and the Yamaha quads, and didn't feel that they warranted the cost and effort of bringing them up to what I considered to be an acceptable standard.  I thought the standard of toolmaking was 20 years behind the current state of the art, possibly a function of moving production from China to India.  We know the Chinese can mould some damn good plastic.

However, others have indeed made very good models from them.  Perhaps it was just beyond me, perhaps I'm just used to a larger-scale level of detail. These would have been my first quarter scale vehicle kits in 40-odd years of doing this.  Perhaps my expectations needed to be managed downwards.

Having said this, I have just got hold of the HobbyBoss 1/48 T-34/85 with full interior and a vastly superior level of detail and parts quality compared to the Airfix, which was about the same price as I paid for my Coyote when it was newly-released: £15.  Which I'm afraid only reinforces my personal opinion of the Airfix offerings.  Sorry, but there it is.

53 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

However, others have indeed made very good models from them.  Perhaps it was just beyond me, perhaps I'm just used to a larger-scale level of detail. These would have been my first quarter scale vehicle kits in 40-odd years of doing this.  Perhaps my expectations needed to be managed downwards.

http://UThSzo.jpg EWZhkt.jpg

Edited by LaurieS

49 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

I have just got hold of the HobbyBoss 1/48 T-34/85 with full interior and a vastly superior level of detail and parts quality

worth mentioning that the 1/48th T-34 with full interior exist because it's scaled down from the 1/16th Trumpeter kit.

None of the other HB 1/48th armour kits, (or any other new tool 1/48th armour for that matter)  come close to these.

more on the T-34 kits here

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/hobbyboss/hb84806-8.htm

(spot whose been  trying to make sense of T-34 variants....)

But  DA has a point,  I'mnot very impressed at  the plastic used in India.

Some of the best Airfix tooling were the Spitfire 22/24/Seafire 46/47 and Lightning kits were  tooled in South Korea by the company that does moulds for Tamiya.

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?103062-Airfix-Model-World&p=1633749#post1633749

comment by @John Aero

For the record The Airfix Lightning and Seafires were made in South Korea at the same factory who made the Tamiya Meteors.

The fact the P-40B was actually made in the UK was neat, but the moulds were made  in China.

sorry a bit off topic,but hopefully of some interest.

• Like 1

Well I seem to have stirred up a hornet's nest here, unintentionally.  

This thread is getting diverted from its original purpose, and that would be my mistake.  In hindsight, the questions of kit quality etc rightly belong in another thread, either about reviewing or building the kits or a more general discussion.  This is a thread about research and information about the real subjects - so let's get back to that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Well I seem to have stirred up a hornet's nest here, unintentionally.  

This thread is getting diverted from its original purpose, and that would be my mistake.  In hindsight, the questions of kit quality etc rightly belong in another thread, either about reviewing or building the kits or a more general discussion.  This is a thread about research and information about the real subjects - so let's get back to that.

All is OK Das quite happy to diverge. I am a great exponent of it. :smile:

Laurie