FAA F4U Corsair

Lawzer

Not sure if this is really fit for an RFI but...

DSC_5448

DSC_5449

DSC_5450

DSC_5451

Bought the kit "slightly started" and "all parts believed to be there".  Understatement on both counts.  tail wheel, gear doors (4 parts out of 6) missing.  Fuselage glued along with (seriously) bent tail.  Wheel hubs missing.  wings glued...oh the bullet type shape aft of the tail just gone.  And broken arrestor hook...

Anyway, for 7 quid you takes your chances.  And I forgot to chop of 4.2mm from the wing tips so this is in effect an FAA machine in RNZAF wings.....

Ho hum.... ;)

For some reason it would NOT take a wash (oil or MIG) - think it may be down to a very skimpy application of the gloss coat....

Still - I'll hide it at the back of the shelf - only swmbo and the dogs look at it - and I've already told the dogs that's how an FAA corsair SHOULD look.....

(PS the paint around the canopy is still drying - honest!)

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 22

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

Well it looks like a Corsair to me :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Looks it was fun to build - so what's next onto the cutting mat???

Fun - yeah in a sadistic kinda way it was. Or is it masochistic?  Can never remember the difference!  I think I would do another of these kits - fit is pretty nice and detail not too shabby......I'd just make sure all the bits were in the box next time :)

Next for the chop, the plastic that's nearly as old as me ;)

Haven't got too much more done.  Given the cockpit and cockpit parts a primer coat and got some new teeny weenie drill bits to drill out the vents under the nose...

Now, where's my magnifying specs gone......

Edited by Lawzer

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I like it Lawzer. Don't think my Revell Corsair will make it here. I managed to snap both canopy parts when holding them for painting.

Sadly this kit is one with a one piece canopy.....even though it still came close to getting split on more than one occasion ;)

• Like 1