NOT THE NEW TOOL EDUARD Fw190s

andyh59

In advance of the release of the new tool Fw190A-4 by Eduard, I decided to build two of my Eduard 1/48 Fw190s. I chose to build the A-9 Profipack and the F-8 Weekend variants. The results of which are :-

img%5D

img%5D 

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Both of these builds used the Kayara correction and upgrade sets shown below:-

img%5D

As can be seen the Kayara sets are extremely well detailed and for the modeller who wants a very accurate representation of the Fw190 well worth the extra cost. The sets are not the easiest to use but this may depend on the user!!! I did have some problems getting the engine and cooling fan to align correctly when fitting the Kayara armoured oil cooler. This was probably due to the engine fit problems with the Eduard kits which seems to be well known.

The Kayara set does not include canopies unfortunately, the kit canopies are very poor representations of the actual item. I therefore decided to mould my own using a resin mould taken from a vac form canopy included in a CMK detail set, the results were acceptable but not brilliant!

Shown below is some of the work involved with these sets :-

img%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5Dimg%5D

THE AIRCRAFT

Fw190F-8, YELLOW 14, W.Nr584592, SG2/SG10, NEUBIBERG 1945

url%5D

I have wanted to have this particular aircraft in my collection for sometime as it shows the urgency to build 'new' aircraft for the Luftwaffe. The camouflage scheme is a mix of RLM 81s/77/71/76 and natural metal surfaces.This may not be the scheme it actually wore but is my interpretation of it.Vallejo Model Air paints were used and as a experiment I used RLM61 Brown as one of the RLM81 variations ( as propounded by one of the Luftwaffe camouflage experts). The only photo of this aircraft I've seen being black and white so anything within reason is possible!!

Decals came from the KommanDeur sheet from some years ago.

FW190A-9, BLACK 3, W. Nr.980219, 2/JG1, JANUARY 1945

img%5D

This aircraft was shot down on the 14th January 1945 during the ill fated Operation Bodenplatte, I chose this particular machine due to the unusual markings painted on the prop. and the unusual placing of the swastika. Again Vallejo Model Air paints were used this machine was finished in two varying shades of RLM81/76, decals came from an old Aeromaster sheet 'Operation Bodenplatte Pt.1'.

I have used the VDM 9-112176A wooden propeller as used on some of the A-9s, this may not be correct for this particular machine but was my personal choice.

I include some further pics of my Eduard Fw190A-8 fitted with 21cm rear firing rocket, with VDM 9 prop. The tail assembly was replaced with one removed from a spare 190 fuselage with the correct tail (can't remember the donor kit!!), wheels replaced with more accurate ones, otherwise it's the standard Eduard Fw190A-8.

Fw190A-8, YELLOW 3, 12./JG3, MAY 1944

img%5Dimg%5D

img%5D

Decals are from EagleCals Sturmjager pt.2

img%5Dimg%5Dimg%5D

Cheers Andy

Edited by andyh59
incorrect pic posted
  • Like 22

Now you have my attention, Andy. The Karaya kit is waiting in my stash along with half a dozen Eduard Würger.

They're not the easyest kits but when you finished one successfully you're hooked. I really enjoyed building my A-5.

Nice to see your well executed renditions in the gallery. Thank you for sharing!