11 Sqn Brisfit Markings Sep-Nov 1918?

mhaselden

19 hours ago, wombat said:

If I didn’t know from the above that D should be red, I’d say the wheels look the same shade as the blue in the roundel. I’d presume they’d use the same red, white and blue paint for both wheels and roundels.

That's exactly why I'm asking questions about the accuracy of those flight colour allocations.  Available photos of 11 Sqn Brisfits aren't exactly common but it seems that the flight colour allocations described in Les Rogers' book work well for the period prior to March 1918 (ie when the Sqn was still wearing the 2 angled bar markings on the fuselage).  The same cannot be said for aircraft photographed later.  Some examples from the Rogers' book and online include:

E2428 'Y' (Post-March 1918), light-toned wheel covers 

E2586 '6' (Post-March 1918), dark-toned wheel covers 

F6206 'X' (Post-March 1918), light-toned wheel covers

Serial Not Known 'W' (Post-March 1918), light-toned wheel covers

If these patterns are representative, then it appears that the colour white changed from being 1-6 to being U-Z.  

It's not clear how the change of flight colours (if that's what happened...I can't guarantee it from the relatively few available photos) might have impacted E2602.  It is certainly possible that the wheel colours are blue (the same shade as the roundel) but it's equally possible, indeed perhaps more probable, that the wheel covers are standard PC10.  Alas, I think we're in the realm of pure guesstimation...unless anyone has positive information one way or another.

Kind regards,
Mark